Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
F4G

2014 16' Sport
Petaluma , California
Question Nature's Head in Bambi 16'?

I am a first time owner of a 2014 16' Bambi Sport and really want to put in the Nature's Head Composting toilet. Being such a newbie, I'm not sure if it's possible in my Sport. Not sure about the venting or the 12v power.
F4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have never been interested in these heads but I am always interested in a project... Here is my take on the situation after glancing at the installation manual.

The 12v source is close by in the distribution/fuse panel just behind the bathroom so that part is easy. I am sure you could either tap into the existing grey/black tank vent that runs behind the curved corner piece in the bathroom or simply take a new vent straight up to the roof. Finally you would have the current toilets big old "pipe to the tank" to deal with...again I am certain something could be accomplished with this but nothing inspiring is coming to me now.

In the end anything is possible and I am sure it could be installed but this does not appear to be a "Saturday morning" kind of project.

My 2 cents worth,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, it looks like a very tight fit and I would question how practical it would be in a shower/head compartment. I had an envirolet composting toilet in a mountain cabin that worked just fine without a 12v hook up. I did have a turbine vent on the stack. Having used a composting toilet and owning a couple of RV's plus 30 plus years of boating, I can't see a practical reason to use a composting toilet in a Bambi other than feeling good about being green.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Great video on their site.

Super interesting. Congrats on your newish trailer.
GO FOR IT. And take lots of pictures!
I'm with BruceB, it is likely possible and more than at Sat morning project.

Assume you are trying to get more mileage out of the the small combo black/gray tank? Does anyone use the inside shower in the 16' anyway?

Good luck!

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Ok here's the link:

... and watch this one too:

"how not to install a composting toilet"

How To Not Install a Composting Toilet in an RV | Gone With The Wynns
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
2007 25' International CCD FB
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
Nature's Head vs. C-Head

F4G,
Congrats on your new trailer. I have been doing quite a bit of research on composting toilets and will definitively install one in my Tradewind. I'm changing my entire floor plan and will build a wet bath to save space.

As an other alternative (besides Air Head) also check out C-Head. It's a simpler design and a smaller unit, as well as about $300 - $400 cheaper. It uses cheap 5 gal buckets with a lid from Home Depot for solids and 1 gal milk containers for liquids. Website: C-Head portable composting toilets

I contacted Nature's Head to inquire about using the toilet it in a wet bath and was told there is no problem as the top is sealed. The only thing to do is to drill a few drain holes into the liquid container holder (not the bottle ). C-Head on the other hand would need some kind of cover or be behind a shower curtain, which is not a deal breaker to me.

Keep us posted on your decision and how it worked out!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
F4G

2014 16' Sport
Petaluma , California
Update on How it Worked

I installed (or rather Vinnie in Santa Rosa installed) the Nature's Head toilet. Just spent 8 days in the desert and I'm very pleased with how it worked. There was absolutely no odor from the composting section. The only problem was the "pee" side. The urine is pretty much directed but you can't help getting a few drops on the lid to the compost section. The lesson is that you have to be vigilant about cleaning that part.

I'm thrilled to have only grey water in my tank now. I was amazed at how fast you can fill up a 2.5 gallon jug. It's nice to have the increased grey water capacity just by getting the black water stuff out of there.
F4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4G View Post
I am a first time owner of a 2014 16' Bambi Sport and really want to put in the Nature's Head Composting toilet. Being such a newbie, I'm not sure if it's possible in my Sport. Not sure about the venting or the 12v power.

You can buy a solar powered vent fan--self contained and very green indeed. Unless I'm mistaken, they come with a battery backup as well to keep the fan going when it's dark out. Check this video:

http://youtu.be/9A_wVGcRBAU

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
F4G, great to hear about your Nature's Head. We've had one for several years but have never used it completely, just peed in it- we were in Olema over the weekend and the question about composting vs water toilet came up again. Hope to see you at Casini.

Peter
Old 09-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I realize this is a faded thread but I'm interested in using a Nature's Head in a 27FB as well. We have two of them on our 40 ft. catamaran. I'm wondering how people plumb the gray and black water tanks together after changing to the dessicating toilets.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We completely removed our black tank in our restoration and just vented the Nature's Head composting toilet through our gray lines. Very easy to do. Still no smell and we have used it for two summers. One of the best remodels we did to our trailer. The only nuisance is when you drink too much beer so you have to dump the "urinal" part more often!