Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Natures Head Composting Toilet Installation in 19' FC

Here is a short summary of how we successfully replaced the existing gravity toilet with a Natures Head Composting Toilet in our 2015 19’ Flying Cloud. I believe the 23D has the same bathroom layout so it should fit there as well. It fits – with a few tweaks and compromises.

Removed existing toilet:
• Clean out the black water tank until it smells as sweet as a summer breeze.
• Remove the aluminum cover that is over the black water tank vent pipe behind the toilet.
• Close water stop cock behind toilet. Remove water line from toilet. Thread in an endcap on the water line for protection in case the stop cock ever leaks.
• Remove the two flange bolts holding the toilet to the closet flange.
• Cut and install a spacer board on top of the black tank pedestal. You cut out a hole for the closet flange in order for the new toilet to sit above the closet flange. Get the hole fairly close as the two mounting brackets for the new toilet mount close to the closet flange hole. I chose to use a pre-finished 0.75” thick shelving board.
• Install a cleanout test plug. I had to cut the bolt down so it did not project above the closet flange.
• Position the toilet very carefully. I chose to provide the minimum clearance to the back wall of 1.75” and 2.25” to the side wall nearest the shower. This gave me the most leg room and kept the Spider Handle from hitting the toilet paper roll.
• Mount the toilet. Verify that you have the clearances necessary to allow removal of the top assembly.
• Install a 90 degree fitting on the air outlet of the toilet. I put one layer of electrical tape on the air outlet fitting and used a clamp to ensure that the slight size incompatibility between the toilet and standard plumbing fittings was accommodated.
• Install the provided flexible air hose so that it makes a loop towards the shower wall and then route it back under itself. Feed it next to the black water tank vent pipe so that it ends up under the bathroom sink.
• Using the cleanout in the vent stack in the wardrobe cabinet, fit the 1.5” piping necessary to get under the bathroom sink.
• Tie the flexible hose from the toilet to the 1.5” pipe to provide its required exhaust to the outside.
• Place a switch panel under the sink. Run a 12VDC line from a new fuse in the electrical Power Center. Run power from the switch to the fan power plug on the toilet.
• Build up a pedestal step in front of the toilet to bring the height of the toilet seat more in line with a standard installation. My wife and I are not tall so we can stand on the step and not hit our heads on the ceiling – we do have to watch when we step out of the bathroom. We also made the front of the step into a door so we can store toilet paper rolls in the pedestal (no space gets unused in a RV).

I’ll work up a parts list with a source for each part, along with more detailed notes soon.

We do find that the knee room is tight. Sometimes we leave the bathroom door open and close the privacy screen instead. We may install an extension on the bathroom door like the one shown in Airstream Life Summer 2009 page 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compost_Toilet_1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	266879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compost_Toilet_2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	266880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wardrobe.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	266883  

BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Excellent write up. Looks like there is just enough room. Is that a pocket door between the toilet/shower area?

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Yes, it is a flexible plastic screen that gets "wiped down" as it rolls back into shower enclosure. So far it has worked great.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
2012 23' Flying Cloud
santa maria , California
dear BoscoMN,
congratulations with your install. great job. i understand a decomposting toilet is life changing for boondockers. unfortunately my husband is a tall man and his knees and height would make it even more uncomfortable even with the modifications you were able to make. my hats off to you expertise. i did find that the 'air head' model does have smaller dimentions, so when we do decide to make the change, we will be using this brand. so glad to hear that some rver's are able to go two weeks before changing tank. have a great time on your composting maiden voyage.
deljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I was a little leery to make any permanent changes to the Airstream in case we find we did not like the composting toilet or if we move up to a larger Airstream once we are retired. If we removed the black tank and its associated pedestal, then the composting toilet would definitely fit vertically much better. I will definitely talk to the factory before I did that as I don't know for 100% where the shower plumbing runs for - on ours I think none of it goes under the pedestal but I'd run my camera down below the sightline just to check it out before I started pulling boards up.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
dublin , Ohio
We love our Natures Head toilet! We will never go back!
kcox4434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
There's also a new player- C-Head. I've got a Nature's Head, and like it just fine. Until I have to empty the pee bottle...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Shower door pull. Is that a stand along thing or part of the shower stall. Any numbers or way to find one to replace swing door on 2005 classic shower.?

Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99 check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote