Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
The bricks cost about $2.50 each and one will work for 7-10 days. It just has an earthy smell. Hubby says he prefers this to the black tank.. I can even do it.. no problem..The harvest can be put on the ground but not on vegetable gardens... we do that only on our property..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
My natures head fit in a smaller footprint than the thetford that was installed. Luckily, I sold that one for $100 :-)

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Composting Head - PIX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbound View Post
My natures head fit in a smaller footprint than the thetford that was installed. Luckily, I sold that one for $100 :-)

Can you send pix of your installation? Thanks! Art
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post

Can you send pix of your installation? Thanks! Art
I had to build a very small base to clear the black tank hole area. I retained it so a future owner could go back to conventional if desired. I tapped into my black water tank vent piping for the natures head, and after bleach treating the black tank, I've significantly increased my gray water capacity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_143321.png
Views:	226
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	181343

Word of caution... the pee container fills quickly when full timing. I find myself emptying it every two to three days, but I believe this is because we freshwater spray the bowl after 1 or 2 to keep it clean.

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We also love our NH toilet. Only used it for one camping season so far but no issues and no smell! I do think the "urinal" part of if fills up quickly... especially if you are drinking beer... but when we bought it they were having a special by throwing in an extra urinal container for free. You just need to find the right sized tote bag to carry it discretely to the rest rooms and flush the liquid contents down the toilet! Installation took 10 minutes. Note you need a 12 volt wire to run the internal muffin fan. We used the aluminum roof vent cover that people had mentioned on the forums and vented it through the adjacent closet. Not the most attractive toilet in the world, but NO BLACK TANK!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030510.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	181347   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030580.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	181349  

Name:	P1030511.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	181350   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030508.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	181351  

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
2VETS, Texasbound: Great installation jobs! Looks great - thanks for the pix!

Art
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
How did you connect the hose to the vent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
We also love our NH toilet. Only used it for one camping season so far but no issues and no smell! I do think the "urinal" part of if fills up quickly... especially if you are drinking beer... but when we bought it they were having a special by throwing in an extra urinal container for free. You just need to find the right sized tote bag to carry it discretely to the rest rooms and flush the liquid contents down the toilet! Installation took 10 minutes. Note you need a 12 volt wire to run the internal muffin fan. We used the aluminum roof vent cover that people had mentioned on the forums and vented it through the adjacent closet. Not the most attractive toilet in the world, but NO BLACK TANK!
Hi 2Vet. Could you give a bit more detail regarding how you connected the hose to the vent at the roof? Did you add a screen? Will you be able to replace said screen easily?
Thanks,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for the installation pictures. Very useful. We'll definitely go that way ourselves.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Sorry Tim..it took me awhile to find the pictures. We did place screen over the holes in the vent. I believe we secured them with vulkem but I can't remember. In order to access the screens you have to remove the roof vent. We used the original black tank vent hole to vent through which means we had to be creative in venting it through the closet. Note the part next to the ceiling will be partially covered by the wooden partition/curtain holder between the bathroom and the bedroom which we haven't installed yet! The other white pipe in the photos is the venting of our grey tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040078.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	181793   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040082.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	181794  

Name:	P1040086.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	181795  
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
This is great. Maybe we'll use the black tank we ordered and haven't put in yet for extra boondocking water!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
I'm encouraged reading the positive reviews of composting toilets. Dump stations are a little intimidating to me and this seems like a more pleasant solution for an unpleasant task. I have a few questions for everyone...

Has anyone built their own separating toilet? I was considering doing that so it combines well with the cabinetry I'm going to build throughout the trailer. If I could get away with this the only thing that will give it away as a toilet is the seat and lid mounted on top.

How necessary is a 12v vent? My tanks' venting is on the curb side and the toilet location is on the street side so I'd have to snake it around somehow if crucial to function. From searching the interwebs it seems like there's a wide spectrum starting with a bucket and cover material to separated, vented, and churned toilets.

Where is everyone disposing of the contents? I know this will get a variety of responses and opinions

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We use our Nature's head almost exclusively for liquids, so it is only composting moist toilet paper. In several years of use, I have never needed to empty the solids. Every six months or so, I scoop some leaf mould (decaying organic matter with some dirt mixed in) or some forest duff and put it in the composting section. This seems to introduce enough biological activity to continue the breakdown of whatever is in there. Once, I added more moistened peat moss, when the volume in the solids box had composted itself down to too small a quantity.

We dispose of the liquids in the nearby facilities if any are available. When we are camping on our own land (our prolonged camping trip) we usually use the outhouse for our business. We use the Nature's Head for night trips and then dribble the liquids in a remote part of the woods every four or five days. It mixes in with what the deer, racoons and other mammals leave there.

When we have an opportunity to boondock where there are no outside facilities, the Nature's Head will be available and ready to break down what we contribute to it. Meanwhile, it's kept us happily camping about 60 nights a year with very little work, no dump stations and only a slight odor of forest floor.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by laducky View Post
I'm encouraged reading the positive reviews of composting toilets. Dump stations are a little intimidating to me and this seems like a more pleasant solution for an unpleasant task. I have a few questions for everyone...

Has anyone built their own separating toilet? I was considering doing that so it combines well with the cabinetry I'm going to build throughout the trailer. If I could get away with this the only thing that will give it away as a toilet is the seat and lid mounted on top.

How necessary is a 12v vent? My tanks' venting is on the curb side and the toilet location is on the street side so I'd have to snake it around somehow if crucial to function. From searching the interwebs it seems like there's a wide spectrum starting with a bucket and cover material to separated, vented, and churned toilets.

Where is everyone disposing of the contents? I know this will get a variety of responses and opinions

Thanks everyone!
Unless you're not planning on producing grey water either you will still need to empty your tanks at a dump station. Once you've done it once or twice there really is nothing to it - connect a hose and pull a handle, that's pretty much it.

The Nature's Head toilet works because it removes excessive moisture, first be separation and then by further drying of the solid content by the 12v fan. Especially for a smaller container I would think this to be mandatory but then you're right, there's lots of people in the Tiny House community who make do with a bucket and peat moss. I am not sure however if I'd call these solutions a composting toilet though.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
My use would be fulltime... for the moment stationary as my home with the obvious advantage of being mobile in the future. I figure if I use organic/nontoxic soaps and no harsh chemicals and whatnot the grey tank isn't really an issue... just watering the plants. Black tank however is a different problem. I still have to figure out the configuration if I'm going to attempt to create one from scratch. I must be nuts.