Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Mystery shower part

Can anyone identify this thing? It located between the water outlet and the hand shower hose. I presume it's either an aerator, or backflow preventer, or hose drain or something. The rubber washer/diaphragm has perished, and I have not been able to find a replacement (likely because I don't know what to look for)

mansaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is a back flow preventer. In the event of a failure of pressure to the shower hose, this allows air to be sucked into the incoming line, rather than anything from the shower hose. The assumption is that the shower hose might be laying in a pool of contaminated water, unusual, but possible.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I think it is an aerator/flow restrictor. If yours is a moen faucet you should be able to find parts on line.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Vacuum breaker
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks folks. Indeed Moen calls it a vacuum breaker. Replacements are easy to find, but replacement parts seem to be non-existant.

I guess when you're washer rots out, you have to pony up the $30 for the whole thing.
mansaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Balogna.... Ace hardware, choice of colors $6.00
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Colorado , Colorado
SO where can one get the entire fitting quickly? Somehow I broke the fitting and have an upcoming trip planned….

My trailer is a 1991 Excella, shower wand is an Alsons, need the fitting that is shown earlier in this post that joins the shower hose to the wall connection….
T Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
My started leaking as well. I took mine off, screwed the hose back on and everything works just fine. That was a year ago. I have a 1997 excella 1000.

I would not worry about replacing.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
That's what I did, Bruce. I think it is a code thing to prevent the possible contamination of the fresh water tank from shower gray water, but that could only occur if the shower valve were on, the wand were laying in a pool of water in the shower floor, and there was a complete loss of pressure, I.e the pump failed or was off. I decided that was a chance I could take.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Colorado , Colorado
Tightening the fitting is not an option - my fitting is broken - I need a replacement…….

Anyone?

I called my local Airstream dealer & they say it will be 2 weeks…...
Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A year or so ago this same item came up. Here is what I wrote then:

"One of the least expensive replacements we found (and bought) is the Hansgrohe External Vacuum Breaker which is listed on Amazon and probably elsewhere. It is a good looking replacement for what you have."

I just checked on Amazon and they still have it listed for $15.22.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Is your hose fitting still ok? If so, then see post #8. You REALLY don't have to have it.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
That's what I did, Bruce. I think it is a code thing to prevent the possible contamination of the fresh water tank from shower gray water, but that could only occur if the shower valve were on, the wand were laying in a pool of water in the shower floor, and there was a complete loss of pressure, I.e the pump failed or was off. I decided that was a chance I could take.

Al
If it were only the possibility of contaminating your own fresh water tank what you did would be your business. However, if you are connected to any public water supply (home, campground etc.) and the unlikely events occur, you risk contaminating the public supply the water to others around you.

Yes, the risk is small but the plumbing codes are written because enough potential of it happening is enough to make the devices required for everyone's protection.

I once lived in a mobile home part, up near the top. The pressure in the water system was very marginal. In the evenings, it was common to open a tap in the bathroom and have no water come out at all, but you could hear the air being drawn back into the pipes (water flowing out of my unit to ones lower in the park). With no back flow preventer (vacuum breaker) any contaminated water could have been drawn into the park water system.

In addition, the next owner of a rig which has had the device removed or disabled may not have the same understanding of systems and not be aware that there is any possible cross contamination.

It is a simple, easy to replace device which should not be eliminated.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
If it were only the possibility of contaminating your own fresh water tank what you did would be your business. However, if you are connected to any public water supply (home, campground etc.) and the unlikely events occur, you risk contaminating the public supply the water to others around you.

Yes, the risk is small but the plumbing codes are written because enough potential of it happening is enough to make the devices required for everyone's protection.

I once lived in a mobile home part, up near the top. The pressure in the water system was very marginal. In the evenings, it was common to open a tap in the bathroom and have no water come out at all, but you could hear the air being drawn back into the pipes (water flowing out of my unit to ones lower in the park). With no back flow preventer (vacuum breaker) any contaminated water could have been drawn into the park water system.

In addition, the next owner of a rig which has had the device removed or disabled may not have the same understanding of systems and not be aware that there is any possible cross contamination.

It is a simple, easy to replace device which should not be eliminated.
You are absolutely correct in all your statements.

However consider this: In order for your scenario to happen, the shower head would have to be laying in a full shower pan, which means a full grey tank(40+gallons), no pressure in the water system, AND travel UPHILL 3 feet to an OPEN shower valve.
Now I will submit all 4 conditions could happen in the universe, however there are some physics at work here along with bureaucratic BS. I have yet to see or hear of water or any liquid move upwards through a vessel without pressure or a draw. All 4 conditions must be met for that to happen. Highly unlikely.

When he sells the trailer he can replace it.

His original request was "What can I do to go on my trip?"-Answered.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Remember my statement about the mobile home I lived in which frequently lost water pressure and sucked air into the lines when I opened the faucet? That suction is what the vacuum breaker halts, the vacuum which can and will in fact suck water uphill against gravity.

I certainly understand that the thread has wondered off subject from the original question. And I most certainly have done unsafe things myself, sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes to solve a problem right now which had no other solution. But to leave the impression that the vacuum breaker device is an unnecessary piece of equipment which may be left off with no consequences is something I think is not wise.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Colorado , Colorado
My hose is ok, the male to male plastic connector / back flow preventer, is destroyed, so I will place an order from Airstream & wait for it to come in….

The other connector suggested as a replacement is a male to female connection so it won't work without adding some modifications, so I will wait to get the right part.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...