Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Moen kitchen faucet leak HELP!!!

I just replaced the cartridge today on my Moen mixer kitchen faucet (73 Sovereign) and it still leaks! I've done several of these cartridges so i know i got it in right. Hot and Cold function properly, and no leaks underneath, but i have a leak at the base, leaking onto the kitchen counter, and i have a drip from the faucet as well, every couple of seconds. Are there some other O-rings i need to replace somewhere?

thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Try calling Moen at 1-800-BUY-MOEN. I have done this on several occasions and they have given excellent assistance over the phone and even shipped me a new faucet to replace one that wouldn't work right. They seem to take their customer service very seriously. Good luck!
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Ditto on that. Moen and Fantastic fan bend over backwards on customer service.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We have had great service from Moen. Just give the CSR your model number and they will give you an immediate solution, often including whatever parts you need to get it working properly.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks everyone, where will i find the model number? It's pretty tight under the sink and i didn't notice it immediately on the top. Any ideas? It's the original Moen everyone has on the 70's years with a single bar and a round top.

thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Thanks everyone, where will i find the model number? It's pretty tight under the sink and i didn't notice it immediately on the top. Any ideas? It's the original Moen everyone has on the 70's years with a single bar and a round top.

thanks
There a couple of "O" rings that should also be replaced, to stop the leaking out of the base. They have nothing to do with the cartridge.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
86Scotty,
Here is a link to an exploded view of a Moen single lever kitchen faucet. It probably isn't that same model, but you can get an idea of the "O" rings that Andy is talking about...

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/7430pt.pdf
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
86Scotty,
I am not sure if this will help, but the kitchen faucet in our '87 is a Moen Chateau.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sometimes the O rings can get a small piece of grit, silt, or whatever, stuck on them and that compromises the seal. All that may be required (if you're lucky) is to clean off the seals with something that doesn't leave something on the seals. I've used a damp tissue, but that isn't a good idea if you can't see what you're cleaning—then use a lint free cloth.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Sometimes you can get the O-rings at the big orange box store. Or the other possibility is the auto parts store.

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
This is probably not your problem, but I have a Moen kitchen faucet at home. I had to take out the diverter because it kept clogging with the stuff in our water supply. Now it works fine, but I can't use the sprayer. Ditto on excellent customer service from Moen. They even sent me parts free.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Lumatic, when i first rigged up my plumbing, i could barely get a trickle out of the kitchen sink. They diverter was TOTALLY clogged. I took it off and blew it out with compressed air, and i actually have a lot better pressure in the camper than i have in my house! Strange but true.
Anyway, i'll take the faucet apart and see if i can find the o-rings in the base.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Moen kitchen faucet

Fixed Faucet Leak

First: Identify the model of your faucet.

I found out I have a Moen Classic faucet by looking the picture of it up on the Moen site. That also identify the parts that I might need and the part no’s.

Second: I replaced the filter located in the faucet head (ordered it at home depot)
and bought a replacement cartridge and installed it that fixed the leak in the faucet.
I also saw that the faucet used a battery Took out the old battery and bought it at Wal-Mart. It looks like a large watch battery. Cr2032

Sprayer Leak

Question
However, I still had a leak in the sprayer. I ordered a new sprayer.
It looks so simple to replace.
You just unscrew the brass nut under the sink that holds the spray hose on and screw on the new hose.

My problem is how to undo the nut on the old sprayer and screw on the new one. There is no room under the sink to get your arm back there to undo the old one and replace it with a new one. Has anyone accomplished this feat and what kind of tool did you use. Thanks, Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Moen Faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson View Post
Moen kitchen faucet

Fixed Faucet Leak

First: Identify the model of your faucet.

I found out I have a Moen Classic faucet by looking the picture of it up on the Moen site. That also identify the parts that I might need and the part no’s.

Second: I replaced the filter located in the faucet head (ordered it at home depot)
and bought a replacement cartridge and installed it that fixed the leak in the faucet.
I also saw that the faucet used a battery Took out the old battery and bought it at Wal-Mart. It looks like a large watch battery. Cr2032

Sprayer Leak

Question
However, I still had a leak in the sprayer. I ordered a new sprayer.
It looks so simple to replace.
You just unscrew the brass nut under the sink that holds the spray hose on and screw on the new hose.

My problem is how to undo the nut on the old sprayer and screw on the new one. There is no room under the sink to get your arm back there to undo the old one and replace it with a new one. Has anyone accomplished this feat and what kind of tool did you use. Thanks, Airperson
The tool you need is a basin wrench,don`t get the cheap one it won`t close up small enough,get the ridgid. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Plumbing 101

When our sprayer starting leaking, I looked at where it was attached to the faucet and decided I wasn't going to be able to get to it. We were on the way to JC anyway and they fixed it. I believe ours started leaking because I didn't get all the water out of it when I was winterizing and I won't make that mistake again.

When you install a sink, install the faucet, water lines and sprayer first—it's a lot easier. But that's doesn't help you at all now. I believe there's a special wrench for this problem, but I can't remember the name for it. Check at a good hardware store. The sprayer seemed to me to be as cheap a one as could be found.

I usually end up doing the following whenever I have to deal with something attached to a sink faucet: Try to get my head and both arms under the sink. First put a towel down under my back to cushion the pain from the sharp edge of the shelf. Try to maneuver a channel lock pliers into the space and not drop it on my head. Call my wife to bring me the flashlight I forgot. Drop the flashlight on my head. Try to prop the flashlight up somewhere so I can see what I'm doing. Drop the channel locks next to my head where I can't reach it. Pull my body out and pick up the channel locks, reset the flashlight, get under the sink again. Try to get the channel locks on the nut, but it's adjusted wrong, so try to maneuver it so I can readjust it. Try to get it on the nut with one hand (other arm is usually jammed against something and can't move) and turn the nut. The nut may stick, but calling it bad names helps release it. Usually it can be turned only about 1/8 turn, so after many times dropping the channel locks, readjusting the channel locks, feeling the edge of shelf cutting into my back, I get it loose and water drips down on my face. Promise to buy the right tool next time, a promise I know I will not keep. During this job, many four letter words are necessary to relieve the mental damage this process brings. To install new sprayer, reverse process, or install a plug in the hole and never worry about the sprayer breaking again.

If you can't fit in the space, find a small woman or a child to do it. You may have to offer them a lot of money, chocolate or toys.

I hope this helps.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Moen leak

Quote:
I just replaced the cartridge today on my Moen mixer kitchen faucet (73 Sovereign) and it still leaks! I've done several of these cartridges so i know i got it in right. Hot and Cold function properly, and no leaks underneath, but i have a leak at the base, leaking onto the kitchen counter, and i have a drip from the faucet as well, every couple of seconds. Are there some other O-rings i need to replace somewhere?

thanks
Ok,the leak around the base would be the o-rings,there are 2 of them top and bottom,apply a little water proof grease to them and the faucet will swing a lot easier.Now the leak thru the faucet,if it had been leaking a long time then the brass could be grooved,or when you took out the old cartridge did everything come out with it,I`ve seen just a little piece of rubber stay in there and cause a leak.Yes it is a Chateau,but they haven`t made that particular one in many years.The main bidy of it is flat on one side,and the sink has the hole with a place for that spot to fit.
If you must change the faucet,rip the top of it off,you will never be able to get the nut off the bottom.To install a new faucet,you must make the hole round[if you must get that far you will see what I am talking about].
Go ahead and call Moen,then at least you will have a spare cartridge,or a new faucet if it won`t quit leaking. Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Tight spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When our sprayer starting leaking, I looked at where it was attached to the faucet and decided I wasn't going to be able to get to it. We were on the way to JC anyway and they fixed it. I believe ours started leaking because I didn't get all the water out of it when I was winterizing and I won't make that mistake again.

When you install a sink, install the faucet, water lines and sprayer first—it's a lot easier. But that's doesn't help you at all now. I believe there's a special wrench for this problem, but I can't remember the name for it. Check at a good hardware store. The sprayer seemed to me to be as cheap a one as could be found.

I usually end up doing the following whenever I have to deal with something attached to a sink faucet: Try to get my head and both arms under the sink. First put a towel down under my back to cushion the pain from the sharp edge of the shelf. Try to maneuver a channel lock pliers into the space and not drop it on my head. Call my wife to bring me the flashlight I forgot. Drop the flashlight on my head. Try to prop the flashlight up somewhere so I can see what I'm doing. Drop the channel locks next to my head where I can't reach it. Pull my body out and pick up the channel locks, reset the flashlight, get under the sink again. Try to get the channel locks on the nut, but it's adjusted wrong, so try to maneuver it so I can readjust it. Try to get it on the nut with one hand (other arm is usually jammed against something and can't move) and turn the nut. The nut may stick, but calling it bad names helps release it. Usually it can be turned only about 1/8 turn, so after many times dropping the channel locks, readjusting the channel locks, feeling the edge of shelf cutting into my back, I get it loose and water drips down on my face. Promise to buy the right tool next time, a promise I know I will not keep. During this job, many four letter words are necessary to relieve the mental damage this process brings. To install new sprayer, reverse process, or install a plug in the hole and never worry about the sprayer breaking again.

If you can't fit in the space, find a small woman or a child to do it. You may have to offer them a lot of money, chocolate or toys.

I hope this helps.

Gene
And everyone thinks plumbers charge too much.Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Bargain price on the wrench Dave recommends - they're usually like $34.

They do still hurt however when you drop it on your head.....

Ridgid 1010 Basin Wrench
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

thanks
I just did the cartridge in my '74 Sovereign, and the only thing I could mention is that I don't remember if the new cartridge came with the two "O" rings that are right underneath the outer barrel. They are the first things you see when the handle and spout is removed. One at the top of the brass barrel, one at the bottom.

There was some silicone grease supplied with your new cartridge that should also be used on those two rings as well, and I recall Moen telling me to take an old toothbrush and scrub out the spout barrel briskly with white vinegar to remove the crust that accumulates with age.

You should have done that on the inside of the main pipe as well, after removing the old cartridge and before installing the new cartridge. You need to soak that passage in white vinegar for 20 minutes, then scrub it with that same toothbrush, finally shoot it out with cold water for at least 10 seconds to get rid of the calcified crust in there.

A bucket or a large baggie will direct the water into the sink.

Last thing is: are you sure that the tap handle got seated properly when you reassembled it? It took a couple of trys on mine, and the way to tell is if the tap handle is reallly loose.

Failing all that, the 800 number for Moen brings you great advice...
Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I have replaced the "O" rings, the filter and the core unit, and still have a leak.I have also replaced the little battery in the end of the faucet. It(the leak) appears to start out on the tongue of the faucet and leak down to the base where it collects. I have now replaced everything in the faucet so I don't know what to do next. We have been placing a towel under the faucet to catch the water and trying to live with it. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote