Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
marine lav: black tank away from toilet?

I have a question before we start building based on our current layout plans.

Trailer is gutted completely and we're starting anew.

We want to put a black tank somewhere other than where we plan to put the toilet. We intend to use a marine-style toilet that has a pump that will pump waste to where the black tank will go. As our plans are now, we can't put the black tank under the toilet, we have a double axle that prevents that.

I don't even know where to look for such a marine toilet but my husband says he's done this for houses and that he knows boaters use them. Any boaters out there have any input?

Has anyone done this or have any product recommendations?

If it isn't possible, we'll adjust our plans. This layout, with the bathroom on the streetside of the trailer, will allow us to put a bedroom in the back that will fit both of us.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I have a question before we start building based on our current layout plans.

Trailer is gutted completely and we're starting anew.

We want to put a black tank somewhere other than where we plan to put the toilet. We intend to use a marine-style toilet that has a pump that will pump waste to where the black tank will go. As our plans are now, we can't put the black tank under the toilet, we have a double axle that prevents that.

I don't even know where to look for such a marine toilet but my husband says he's done this for houses and that he knows boaters use them. Any boaters out there have any input?

Has anyone done this or have any product recommendations?

If it isn't possible, we'll adjust our plans. This layout, with the bathroom on the streetside of the trailer, will allow us to put a bedroom in the back that will fit both of us.
West Marine, Defender, Boat US, JSI, Boaters World, that should give you a good start. You can get hand pumped marine toilet, electric marine toilet, anything you want.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I'm already looking at a site called "Lavac", seems like it's do-able...I'll check out the other sites too. Do you have any experience with this kind of installation? We don't, and I'm nervous about it. Once we go with this, it's a done deal because the entire layout depends on what we do with the bathroom. I hate to get into something that's nothing but problems...but if we do a good job installing it, and take into consideration all things.. considered, it should work OK. All input welcome, help me anticipate problems....the cost of a marine toilet is high but we'll pay it to be able to sleep in the same bed and not have to step over the sleeping person to get to the lav.

Thanks, keep 'em coming...

ingrid
Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
This is a good resource and technical info. Buy Jabsco products just about anywhere. Look under toilet systems.

http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/se...talogId=Marine
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Not Hard

Quote:
I'm already looking at a site called "Lavac", seems like it's do-able...I'll check out the other sites too. Do you have any experience with this kind of installation? We don't, and I'm nervous about it. Once we go with this, it's a done deal because the entire layout depends on what we do with the bathroom. I hate to get into something that's nothing but problems...but if we do a good job installing it, and take into consideration all things.. considered, it should work OK. All input welcome, help me anticipate problems....the cost of a marine toilet is high but we'll pay it to be able to sleep in the same bed and not have to step over the sleeping person to get to the lav.

Thanks, keep 'em coming...
I have changed them out on my sailboats. On my boats they take suction on the sea and pump overboard or to a holding tank to be pumped out later. This is done with a Y valve. Do a little research on marine systems. Contact user Boatdoc as he was in marine repair for years. I think it would be simple and very easy. I am sure that marine toilets can be setup to use water supplied by a pressure system instead of a seawater suction. Pipe to your blackwater tank with hose and you are good to go. I see no problems.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I'm looking at toilets on the Jabsco site that say they need to be hooked up to a pressurized system requiring at least 3 1/2 GPM flow rate. Would it be possible to use the grey tank water as a source for this? Maybe a separate tank and pump needs to go in. I'll PM boatdoc...

here's the link to the toilet I'm looking at.

http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/se...I&typeId=JMTQF

ingrid
Old 11-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
I'm looking at toilets on the Jabsco site that say they need to be hooked up to a pressurized system requiring at least 3 1/2 GPM flow rate. Would it be possible to use the grey tank water as a source for this? Maybe a separate tank and pump needs to go in. I'll PM boatdoc...

here's the link to the toilet I'm looking at.

http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/se...I&typeId=JMTQF
I think it would be better to use greywater. If you hook up to your freshwater you need lots of double check, reduced pressure, antisiphon backflow prevention.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yes, definitely grey water. Putting a toilet anywhere near a freshwater system is just asking for Trouble with a capital T. I'm looking at The Vap site and there's a 4.0 pump and also the Shurflo site has a 3.7 all purpose pump that I suppose we could use. We'd have to have the grey tank full to flush, but isn't that how it's done anyway?

ingrid
Old 11-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
AS Toilets Are Connected to the FW System

Quote:
Yes, definitely grey water. Putting a toilet anywhere near a freshwater system is just asking for Trouble with a capital T. I'm looking at The Vap site and there's a 4.0 pump and also the Shurflo site has a 3.7 all purpose pump that I suppose we could use. We'd have to have the grey tank full to flush, but isn't that how it's done anyway?
I think all current RV's have their toilets connected to the freshwater system as dose your home. Boats often use sea water for flushing and fire protection. It is hard to make fresh water at sea. Grey water will have to much trash in it to use for flushing. Toilets are designed not to have a cross connect as are your sinks, read air gap.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Gotcha. I just was informed of that from my husband also. I thought he had told me it was the grey tank that provided the water for flushing.

This looks like it's going to work out OK, but I have no idea where to start looking for actual products and still have so many question marks going around in my mind. I called The Vap and bravely asked this question on their voicemail, and I'm hoping to learn from them too, what our options are. We've got a long way before we start installing the toilet. Sure could use a source for prefab shower stall too. When we do this finally, I'll take pictures and put it on my progress thread.

ingrid
Old 11-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Gotcha. I just was informed of that from my
husband also. I thought he had told me it was the grey tank that
provided the water for flushing.
This looks like it's going to work out OK, but I have no idea where to
start looking for actual products and still have so many question marks
going around in my mind. I called The Vap and bravely asked this
question on their voicemail, and I'm hoping to learn from them too,
what our options are. We've got a long way before we start installing
the toilet. Sure could use a source for prefab shower stall too. When
we do this finally, I'll take pictures and put it on my progress
thread.
You will have a hard time finding a Pre Fab shower stall for
a RV or a boat. The reason is that a boat and a AS share sides which
are not straight but curved. The Airstream is relative easy as Aluminum
channel is used to hold partitions to the side of the coach which is
much easier than tabbing in with fiberglass. You man be able to use a
removed partition for a pattern of the curve or learn how to use a
tic-stick to get the curve of the trailer. On my boat I covered the
interior of the wet bath with plastic sheeting to seal out the water.
You often see this material in the restrooms of fast food restaurants;
I used contact cement to attach. As for a shower pan you may have to
fabricate one, but I do think you could adapt a home unit or a RV unit
to your needs. I have viewed so many wonderful custom interiors of
Airstreams I think you will have great success. Look up Boat US or West
Marine and make a visit to their stores, one of the catalogs has all
the diagrams of the various systems, a boat and RV systems are
basically the same. Good Luck Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
If you have the option to put the toilet on a raised platform so as to enable the 3.5" system (you would need at least 5" to allow elbows) to travel along the floor to enter the blacktank via it's top suface the you can use the conventional Sealand or similar toilet.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
One website that you might start with for finding marine plumbing things is as follows:

http://www.defender.com/

Another RV parts store that carries prefab shower pans for RV's is as follows:

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/index.cfm

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I have changed them out on my sailboats. On my boats they take suction on the sea and pump overboard or to a holding tank to be pumped out later. This is done with a Y valve. Do a little research on marine systems. Contact user Boatdoc as he was in marine repair for years. I think it would be simple and very easy. I am sure that marine toilets can be setup to use water supplied by a pressure system instead of a seawater suction. Pipe to your blackwater tank with hose and you are good to go. I see no problems.

Jim
I have been thinking of installing a mascerator pump on the output side of my holding tanks. I have the impression that some forms of marine toilet arrangements have a single mascerator pump that can be used for pumping from the toilet to the holding tank and for pumping from the holding tank to the outlet for dumping. Does anyone have any specific knowledge or experience they would like to share about that type of installation - if it is possible?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Our boat had an electric marine toilet that was plumbed as part of the fresh water system and did not use sea water. The holding tank was at least 10 ft from the toilet and worked just great. (Pulled about 20 amps)

Most RV toilets work on the gravity feed system with the black tank directly below the toilet.

I would think you could use the marine toilet and put the black tank just about anywhere as long as it is slightly below the toilet or you use a check valve if black tank is even with or higher than the toilet.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Malcom,
On our boat the Sealand head had a mascerator built in we used a large foot pump with a 2 or 3" line to pump out the black tank, worked much faster than using a mascerator pump.

Camping World sells a set up like you are asking about but I don't remember the name of it. Allows you to empty the black tank up hill or long distance to a home septic system.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
Silvertwinkie--Wilcox Crittenden makes a santa cruz model with a macerator and wall switch, but draws 30 amps. Raritan makes the sea era electric toilet with a macerator that draws 18.0 amps. Retail these toilets are $549.00 and $464.00 respectively at West Marine. Find someone with a port supply account (wholesale) and you could probably lower the cost greatly. --Mark--
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I have been thinking of installing a mascerator pump on the output side of my holding tanks. I have the impression that some forms of marine toilet arrangements have a single mascerator pump that can be used for pumping from the toilet to the holding tank and for pumping from the holding tank to the outlet for dumping. Does anyone have any specific knowledge or experience they would like to share about that type of installation - if it is possible?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Click image for larger version

Name:	Punp.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	28189

This is the easy way. Clear elbow with water fitting and quick disconnect discharge line. Use thickened epoxy to glue the pump to the elbow. I use this to pump out my tanks to my home cleanout which is 4 feet off the ground. It just fits where the hose attaches and I run it with a 20 amp battery charger. I have a extension which uses anderson power poles to connect to trailer battery if need when on the road.

Good Luck Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost