Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
LRL
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
Macerator

has any one used a macerator for black water removal.
e.g.FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit from Camper world. Itt Corp - FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use a water-powered macerator called the Sewer Solution. We have use it for several years and have been very satisfied with its performance.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Same here LRL. Sewer Solution is what we use. Love it.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Sewer Solution
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I lived in my Overlander for 2 years while renovating a home, and used a macerator to empty the poop tanks regularly. I purchased it at West Marine for around $150 (Jabsco), bought some heavy duty clear hose from HD to connect it to the Thetford fitting. This way I could watch the "pureed brown trout" go downstream as I ran it. For power, I just ran a jumper cable off my battery with alligator clips and hooked it to the leads on the macerator. Actually, I fabricated a quick connect system out of miscellaneous cables I had laying around. Worked well. It took less than ten minutes overall to empty the tanks. Just be sure to have a hose dedicated to pushing pureed poop through and don't mix it up with your fresh water hose. Kidding of course.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I have one in my Tradewind. It's permanently installed. The only issue we've had in two years is when my granddaughter flushed a babywipe.
It's down right now waiting for new seals.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Is it much slower than gravity feed with the big hose? I like the idea of the smaller hose and permanent mounting
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We use the sewer solution system as well. It's 1/3 the price and works great for us.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I'm not a fan of the Sewer Solution (I have one and don't like it).

The standard hose works best for dumping tanks and I use a regular garden hose with adapters for greywater drainage when at sites with full hookups.

I've looked at macerator pumps but never bought one. They're a hassle to use unless permanently mounted, plumbed, and wired. (In that case they're just heavy, expensive, and a nuisance to winterize). If you are in a situation where you have to dump uphill into a tank, they might be the most practical choice.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sewer Solution is slower. But no mess. Easy to handle. Easy to backflush into the pipes and you can even get it to push water back into the waste tank. Smooth inside the hose so nothing sticks..

WBCCI 3805
Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
This is my fifth season using the Sewer Solution. Easy to use and store. Only down side is you must have supply water to make it work. There are a few dry dumps in the areas we like to camp and they cannot be used with the Sewer Solution.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I'm not a fan of the Sewer Solution (I have one and don't like it).

The standard hose works best for dumping tanks and I use a regular garden hose with adapters for greywater drainage when at sites with full hookups.

I've looked at macerator pumps but never bought one. They're a hassle to use unless permanently mounted, plumbed, and wired. (In that case they're just heavy, expensive, and a nuisance to winterize). If you are in a situation where you have to dump uphill into a tank, they might be the most practical choice.
Suggestions:
  • more fiber in diet
  • a gallon of water in the black tank to "start" the disolution of solids
Paula
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Paula

The most serious problems have more to do with items flushed by some of my female guests.

That aside, I find that a standard hose is faster to use and easier to clean up.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We've used both our Stinky Slinky and our Sewer Solution, and would not be without either of them. Whenever we can, we connect the Sewer Solution, open the Grey valve, and camp away. At the end of the session, we connect the auto flush, open the Black valve and clean her out. True, you need incoming water to make it work best. We are fortunate to have an outlet in the water chamber to do that when camp water is not available. In addition, we flush the Black tank with the on-board spray system and them empty again until it runs clear, as seen through the transparent connecting collar. Haven't found a need for a "real" macerator" and don't mind the few extra minutes the dump takes. I do other outside things while it runs.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Haven't found a need for a "real" macerator" and don't mind the few extra minutes the dump takes. I do other outside things while it runs.
Gheuer. We have only had ours for a while and used it exclusively at campgrounds with full hookups. Concern is that when I have to go to a dump station, will everyone else in line be as patient as you and I while we wait for it to work? So I keep the stinky slinky on hand but really hate to use it if not necessary. Anyone had folks get impatient while you are using the Sewer Solution at a dump station?

WBCCI 3805
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Chuck & Skye,
Yep, a concern for your fellow "dumpers" in a long line is certainly valid. So far I've only used it at 2-3 dumps and then when I was alone at the station. We move so much, and dump so often that I probably wouldn't be much of a hold-up. I did have one station in Wyoming without a suitable water connection of any kind. Very strange at a rest stop just off the Interstate, eh?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I don't have one yet, but am planning to buy a Sewer Solution(largely due to the favorable reports from my friends here). I would make use of it at a campsite, but not at a dump station. I think it is good manners there to get the job done and leave asap.

One of the things that the SS will solve is at campsites with high sewer connections. I think our Airstreams are the lowest things out there.

Greg, if I can offer one suggestion: Don't leave your gray valve open; use it to flush after you finish your black dump - nothing is better than a good torrent. Then do your cleanup with fresh water.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Pat,
I'm sure you'll like the SS. I certainly take your advice about holding the grey water for a rinse job when I can't use the SS. When I can, however, keeping the kitchen bits flowing during the camp session seems to work better, and makes for a quicker clean-up-and-hook-up on departure day. I use a quick splash from the black tank cleaning sprayer as the final wash down. Because the SS connector and hose are transparent, I can see when we're running clear water through the system and then we're done.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Gheuer, We just got back from a long weekend at a state park. Decided to stay an extra day so when we got to the dump station, no one in front or behind. (Everyone left Sunday) Definitely takes longer but flushing that black tank is working well. It looks better every time. (Yep, have to make sure the gray is closed)
Could not do this if there was a line though, so the stinky slinky is still avail for emergencies.

WBCCI 3805
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
LRL, Darkspeed, Jammer:

I devised a "waste management compartment" for my Argosy remodel. See post #526 here for photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-38.html

The permanently installed Sani Con macerator, now sold by Thetford, has worked like a charm for 4 years now. A stinky slinky is by no means easier to use or clean up. This system is push button simple.

I like the speed and ease of use but most of all I appreciate the added flexibility it gives. You are not tied to a dump station with a macerator.

At my semi-permanent fairgrounds base these past three summers I pump the waste slightly uphill and over 100 feet to a sewer that I am temporarily connected to. The unit also features a "grey water by-pass" so that I don't have to worry about grey tank capacity either.

I consider it one of my favorite "contemporizations".

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

« 1967 Caravel | Top | Toilet »