Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Yes SSTAR, thank you very much for taking the time to do this. Excellent information.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Older Airstreams like mine are rather low to the ground, and the dump port for the tanks is lower yet. The slinky connects and then has to connect to the sewer port at the camp ground with a 90 degree elbow. This usually leaves water in the slinky. I was very tired of lifting my slinky to get it to drain.

I now use the Thetford Sani Con and find it works much better. I can drain my black water, shut the pump off, open my gray water valve, and allow the gray water to back flush into the black tank. Then I can pump out the gray water and get pretty good cleaning action on both tanks. But most importantly I can pump the water "up hill" to the sewer connection. I do have to be careful to either thread on the Sani Con hose to the sewer pipe, or weight it down sufficiently to keep it from blowing off. I would hate to pump black water all over the neighbor's campsite!

Airstreams are low, and many camp grounds have sewer pipe connections that stick 8" above ground level. The Sani Con, or a macerator pump solves this "stuff won't run uphill" problem.

I do find my Sani Con bayonet "ears" too weak. I have broken two of the pump connection plastic ears off, and have difficulty getting the replacement part. Thetford is hard to do business with. And I do use a 45 degree fitting between the dump port and the Sani Con. When the pump is mounted horizontally, I find I trap water between the dump valves and the Sani Con. I don't like spilling a quart of water when I disconnect the pump. The 45 degree angle allows the pump cavity to clear itself.

Bottom line, a macerator pump is better than a slinky for me.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Camping World says manufacturer information is the max distance for a 3/4" hose is 50', 5/8" hose max is 25'. It doesn't address height or at least not in the Q&A.
FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Xylem 18555000A - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
I think the Mfg may be somewhat conservative to the operating capacity of the Flow Jet. I had reservations as to how it would work when I bought it, but have been 100% happy with the results. Again, I have only used it when we arrive back at home port. My septic outlet is 44' from where I store the trailer so a 50' length of hose works fine. In the next few weeks I plan to run a permanent 2" pvc line underground to discharge through. If you have a Thetford fitting on your trailer you will need a crossover to Valterra, I also used a clear connection so that I can monitor the consistency of the fluid. As mentioned in another post, a 45 deg connection would be nice to avoid any spills on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weathervane 013.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	207185  
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
You are referring to the Thetford type fitting. It is a different style of connector, but it is the same size (3").

I agree it is a good idea to keep an adapter from one to the other on board. You never know what you might run up against.
OK, so now there are Thetford and Valterra fittings on a 3" stinky slinky connection? I know there is a Thetford commode in the trailer, does that mean the connection on the sewer is Thetford? The Camco 45 degree clear elbow I found at Amazon doesn't mention either fitting but there is also a Valterra Adapter 45 degree clear fitting.

I did find a comparison that says the Thetford is 96 mm between the connecting prongs and the Valterra is 89 mm. Is the brand stamped on the sewer connector? Sounds like a box of various adapters is going to be necessary.

Just when I thought I understood, I don't.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Valterra vs. Thetford

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
When I bought my AS the cap was missing for the septic. Instead of buying a Thetford replacement cap I just bought the one adaptor then all Valterra fittings and hoses, so that the fittings on the AS and my SOB will be compatible. (also my son's SOB ). You can usually find the Valterra compatible fittings and hoses at Walmart or any RV supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weathervane 014.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	207214  
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
When I bought my AS the cap was missing for the septic. Instead of buying a Thetford replacement cap I just bought the one adaptor then all Valterra fittings and hoses, so that the fittings on the AS and my SOB will be compatible. (also my son's SOB ). You can usually find the Valterra compatible fittings and hoses at Walmart or any RV supply.
OK, thanks! Adding it to the list
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #68
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Heyyy, thanks! I was within a ¼"!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Installing macerator this week. It will be permanently mounted to both the grey, black tanks. No more 3" slinky warm.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote

« 1967 Caravel | Top | Toilet »