Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
You are right, much better price on Ebay.

Where are you going to attach to the 12V power?

Ken
I attached the power to the rear of the fridge which is above the waste valves. I intend to power down the fridge when using the pump, not to put undo load on the fridge power line. Interesting point in the instructions they tell you to open the gray tank valve with the black tank valve still open after pumping the black tank, this allows gray water to flush black tank with ease, no fuss no muss! Great tip. I can't believe the ease of using this product. Little pricey, hey it's only money and who deserves better then us!,

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer
We've used both our Stinky Slinky and our Sewer Solution, and would not be without either of them....
My sentiments exactly. The fastest dump in my opinion is with the Slinky and topping the BW tank with water helps towards a more complete dump. The Sewer Solution solves the uphill dump issue as long as you have water pressure to run it.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

LMAO... Love it....
Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My only complaint about the Sewer Solution is that it can take a good while to complete the process. If you need to dump in the morning before you leave, plan to be late.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate came straight from Jackson Center with a Flojet macerator pump. The black tank and gray tank are both connected to it through a "Y" fitting. Drain the black tank first, then drain the gray tank. That lets the soapy gray water clean the hose. The Flojet pump will pump out 10 gallons per minute, so it takes less than 6 minutes to completely pump out both my black and gray tanks even if both are brim-full. And, because the discharge hose has a valve at the end to close it off, no messy cleanup afterward, just shut off the pump, close the valve, roll up the hose, done.

During my last trip, while I was at the dump station, the people ahead of me who used their slinky remarked how they wished they had a setup like mine.

The only downside to a permanently-installed macerator is that you NEVER get gravity feed, so if you're at a campground with sewer hookups, you still have to pump out.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Protagonist,

Your closing statement should be amended to read:

The only downside to a permanently-installed FLOWJET macerator is that you NEVER get gravity feed, so if you're at a campground with sewer hookups, you still have to pump out.

This is not true of the Thetford SANI-CON system with features a grey water by-pass.

I installed a macerator during my "contemporization" of a 1976 ARGOSY - see post #20 above ( and also go to post 526 in the main tread refered to) - in a "waste management compartment" which I built just back of the rear road-side wheels.

I got the SANI CON from Lanny of Lexington, Kentucky, who has since sold his business and patents to Thetford.

Google Thetford and Sani Con.

A 1/4" clear line allows the grey waste water to by-pass the pump when it is not running. Therefore the waste hose, using a special pipe adapter (supplied), is always draining the grey directly into the sewer.

This brings up the question of why a self proffessed high end vehicle like Airstream's INTERSTATE is using a second best macerator. Or, why is the company not installing macerators in ALL of their trailers ?

If an old man like me, with zero technical experience and no special knowledge, can imagine and build a system that has worked push-button perfectly for 5 years now how come a 75 year old company is still satisfied with the way things have been done for the last 50 years?

It's April and the Dog Woods must be beautiful in Louisiana just now. 'Spend almost 2 months there the winter before last, in many places from Shreveport and Monroe rightdown to Houma, but mainly in Cajun Country near Lafayette. Still fondly remember MARTINS WINES in Metairie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dogwoods.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	155717

Sergei
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Point taken about the gray-water bypass on the Thetford Sani-Con macerator.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Does anyone see a reason why the flush connector on this flowjet macerator pump could not be used as a grey water bypass by using a hose Y connector to merge it into the pump output hose?

Ken
Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Ken,
If you do that then the connector is dirty. When you connect city water to that fitting I would hope you have a backflow preventer on your clean hose.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Ken,
If you do that then the connector is dirty. When you connect city water to that fitting I would hope you have a backflow preventer on your clean hose.
Al
Thanks,
I would not connect city water to that fitting. However the only hose I let get near waste water has a backflow preventer. I use the tank cleanout fitting on my trailer to flush the system.

Ken
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Question Stinky Slinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
My sentiments exactly. The fastest dump in my opinion is with the Slinky and topping the BW tank with water helps towards a more complete dump. The Sewer Solution solves the uphill dump issue as long as you have water pressure to run it.
Sorry, very new to many things RV. I see references to 'stinky slinky' here but cannot find any when I Google them. Is this something that is made by the RVer? I have seen pictures, they seem to be a piece of PVC pipe that is used to clean out the sewer line, maybe tank, of the RV.

Thanks

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Ken.

I think that you could adapt your unit to perform like my RV Sani Con macerator that does have a grey water bypass.

I bought my unit from Lanny, the inventor, before he sold out to Thetford. He probably sold his patent on the bypass to them.

To give you some idea of how this works you can find a drawing on the Thetford site under PARTS. I canít copy and paste it because Adobe wants to be paid for that but access it this way:

Google RV Sani Con.

Open the Thetford site

Click on Parts

Open the pre- 2011 models and go to page 7 which is MODEL 62-5800.

I donít know the Flowjet macerator outfit you are showing but if you can mount it with the flush inlet port at the side instead of at the top as shown, a 90 degree turn and with the outflow from the pump then facing down, there is no reason why you couldnít invent a grey water bypass.

You just need to find hose and fittings to go from the flush inlet to a T inserted at the pump outlet.

You can better understand by looking at the Thetford drawings.

You donít need to go to all that trouble either. Why canít you just mount the device as Iím suggesting and run a discharge hose from the green plastic inlet? The secret is simple: water wonít pass through the macerator pump unless itís powered. If you attach a hose and open your grey water valve the water will drain out naturally.

Sergei
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Sorry, very new to many things RV. I see references to 'stinky slinky' here but cannot find any when I Google them. Is this something that is made by the RVer? I have seen pictures, they seem to be a piece of PVC pipe that is used to clean out the sewer line, maybe tank, of the RV.

Thanks
"Stinky slinky" is what the waste hose is commonly called. This hose connects your trailer's waste output (black or gray water) to a sewage system designed for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Ken.

I think that you could adapt your unit to perform like my RV Sani Con macerator that does have a grey water bypass.

I bought my unit from Lanny, the inventor, before he sold out to Thetford. He probably sold his patent on the bypass to them.

To give you some idea of how this works you can find a drawing on the Thetford site under PARTS. I canít copy and paste it because Adobe wants to be paid for that but access it this way:

Google RV Sani Con.

Open the Thetford site

Click on Parts

Open the pre- 2011 models and go to page 7 which is MODEL 62-5800.

I donít know the Flowjet macerator outfit you are showing but if you can mount it with the flush inlet port at the side instead of at the top as shown, a 90 degree turn and with the outflow from the pump then facing down, there is no reason why you couldnít invent a grey water bypass.

You just need to find hose and fittings to go from the flush inlet to a T inserted at the pump outlet.

You can better understand by looking at the Thetford drawings.

You donít need to go to all that trouble either. Why canít you just mount the device as Iím suggesting and run a discharge hose from the green plastic inlet? The secret is simple: water wonít pass through the macerator pump unless itís powered. If you attach a hose and open your grey water valve the water will drain out naturally.

Sergei
Thanks for the reply and good information. Actually I prefer the Thetford unit, but the price is significantly greater. The one I pictured is $207 on Amazon, and can be had at a lower price with a bit of shopping. The Thetford unit with bypass is $340. Since I am not sure what the ultimate solution is going to be, I'm trying to be on the cheap side. I am currently using a sewer solution, but am not happy with the amount of water wasted, even when it's not mine. If I end up using your suggestion, I will cap the regular outlet just to be safe.

Ken

« 1967 Caravel | Top | Toilet »