Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation A bunch of H2O

I have used a sewer solution for several years, but always carry a slinky hose just in case.

The one thing I keep expecting to encounter, but haven't yet is a park that bans sewer solutions. It has occurred to me, that a few people with sewer solutions could put a strain on a parks liquid waste disposal system. They do require a lot of extra water down the pipe.

Any opinions?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
LRL, Darkspeed, Jammer:

I devised a "waste management compartment" for my Argosy remodel. See post #526 here for photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-38.html

The permanently installed Sani Con macerator, now sold by Thetford, has worked like a charm for 4 years now. A stinky slinky is by no means easier to use or clean up. This system is push button simple.

I like the speed and ease of use but most of all I appreciate the added flexibility it gives. You are not tied to a dump station with a macerator.

At my semi-permanent fairgrounds base these past three summers I pump the waste slightly uphill and over 100 feet to a sewer that I am temporarily connected to. The unit also features a "grey water by-pass" so that I don't have to worry about grey tank capacity either.

I consider it one of my favorite "contemporizations".

Sergei
I take it the 100 feet of discharge pipe is somewhat permanently installed, or do you have a system for storing the pipe?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
LRL, Darkspeed, Jammer:

I devised a "waste management compartment" for my Argosy remodel. See post #526 here for photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-38.html

The permanently installed Sani Con macerator, now sold by Thetford, has worked like a charm for 4 years now. A stinky slinky is by no means easier to use or clean up. This system is push button simple.

I like the speed and ease of use but most of all I appreciate the added flexibility it gives. You are not tied to a dump station with a macerator.

At my semi-permanent fairgrounds base these past three summers I pump the waste slightly uphill and over 100 feet to a sewer that I am temporarily connected to. The unit also features a "grey water by-pass" so that I don't have to worry about grey tank capacity either.

I consider it one of my favorite "contemporizations".

Sergei
Very clever!
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Kentucky:

The 100' discharge line is not pipe but 1" industrial hose obtained at a farm supply store. Think contractor's hose or very good quality garden hose. It has to be 1" however; smaller diameter hose will apply too much back pressure on the macerator.

At my summer spot I keep this semi-permanently installed, running above ground except at the driveway into the cattle barn. The end near my trailer has a standard brass female which takes the male threaded end of my 7' ( stretches to 21') flexible macerator hose. I have a 24" piece of clear hose inserted there so that I can judge the progress of tank cleaning.

All I do is screw that brass nut onto the macerator hose and push the 12v power supply button. The job is completed in a few minutes.

This 100' hose travels in a special compartment on my MB Sprinter TV. Another compartment carries a 100' fresh water hose. Another carries extra 30 amp Marinco electrical cord.

I bought the Sani Con from the inventor, Lanny, from Lexington, Kentucky. He's since sold the company to Thetford:

Sani-Con System

During my 173 day long winter tour of your country I can remember using the 100' extension only once, at the Fairgrounds in Kalamazoo, Michigan, where the set-up was similar to mine at home.

It's good to know the hose is always aboard however. You can empty tanks this way in lots of extra places: a toilet, exterior clean out stack, down a gopher hole in North Dakota I suppose. The manufacturer claims it can pump uphill 20'. I haven't tried that.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #25
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Or pump your neighbors black tank full while they are sleeping ..
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Or pump your neighbors black tank full while they are sleeping ..
I never thought of that............ I think it has possibilities..
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
has any one used a macerator for black water removal.
e.g.FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit from Camper world. Itt Corp - FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
Well, I went and did it and bought the FloJet Waste Pump Kit. Trying to justify the cost is easy now since it works as promised. Using the directions as set forth delivers the results expected. The advantage as I see it is you do not have to wait at the dump stations anymore with all that comes with it, waiting, odors, clean up etc, etc.. Much easier at home or ____.

BTW, better pricing on Ebay.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Well, I went and did it and bought the FloJet Waste Pump Kit. Trying to justify the cost is easy now since it works as promised. Using the directions as set forth delivers the results expected. The advantage as I see it is you do not have to wait at the dump stations anymore with all that comes with it, waiting, odors, clean up etc, etc.. Much easier at home or ____.

BTW, better pricing on Ebay.
You are right, much better price on Ebay.

Where are you going to attach to the 12V power?

Ken
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
You are right, much better price on Ebay.

Where are you going to attach to the 12V power?

Ken
I attached the power to the rear of the fridge which is above the waste valves. I intend to power down the fridge when using the pump, not to put undo load on the fridge power line. Interesting point in the instructions they tell you to open the gray tank valve with the black tank valve still open after pumping the black tank, this allows gray water to flush black tank with ease, no fuss no muss! Great tip. I can't believe the ease of using this product. Little pricey, hey it's only money and who deserves better then us!,

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer
We've used both our Stinky Slinky and our Sewer Solution, and would not be without either of them....
My sentiments exactly. The fastest dump in my opinion is with the Slinky and topping the BW tank with water helps towards a more complete dump. The Sewer Solution solves the uphill dump issue as long as you have water pressure to run it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

LMAO... Love it....
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My only complaint about the Sewer Solution is that it can take a good while to complete the process. If you need to dump in the morning before you leave, plan to be late.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate came straight from Jackson Center with a Flojet macerator pump. The black tank and gray tank are both connected to it through a "Y" fitting. Drain the black tank first, then drain the gray tank. That lets the soapy gray water clean the hose. The Flojet pump will pump out 10 gallons per minute, so it takes less than 6 minutes to completely pump out both my black and gray tanks even if both are brim-full. And, because the discharge hose has a valve at the end to close it off, no messy cleanup afterward, just shut off the pump, close the valve, roll up the hose, done.

During my last trip, while I was at the dump station, the people ahead of me who used their slinky remarked how they wished they had a setup like mine.

The only downside to a permanently-installed macerator is that you NEVER get gravity feed, so if you're at a campground with sewer hookups, you still have to pump out.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Protagonist,

Your closing statement should be amended to read:

The only downside to a permanently-installed FLOWJET macerator is that you NEVER get gravity feed, so if you're at a campground with sewer hookups, you still have to pump out.

This is not true of the Thetford SANI-CON system with features a grey water by-pass.

I installed a macerator during my "contemporization" of a 1976 ARGOSY - see post #20 above ( and also go to post 526 in the main tread refered to) - in a "waste management compartment" which I built just back of the rear road-side wheels.

I got the SANI CON from Lanny of Lexington, Kentucky, who has since sold his business and patents to Thetford.

Google Thetford and Sani Con.

A 1/4" clear line allows the grey waste water to by-pass the pump when it is not running. Therefore the waste hose, using a special pipe adapter (supplied), is always draining the grey directly into the sewer.

This brings up the question of why a self proffessed high end vehicle like Airstream's INTERSTATE is using a second best macerator. Or, why is the company not installing macerators in ALL of their trailers ?

If an old man like me, with zero technical experience and no special knowledge, can imagine and build a system that has worked push-button perfectly for 5 years now how come a 75 year old company is still satisfied with the way things have been done for the last 50 years?

It's April and the Dog Woods must be beautiful in Louisiana just now. 'Spend almost 2 months there the winter before last, in many places from Shreveport and Monroe rightdown to Houma, but mainly in Cajun Country near Lafayette. Still fondly remember MARTINS WINES in Metairie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dogwoods.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	155717

Sergei
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Point taken about the gray-water bypass on the Thetford Sani-Con macerator.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Does anyone see a reason why the flush connector on this flowjet macerator pump could not be used as a grey water bypass by using a hose Y connector to merge it into the pump output hose?

Ken
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Ken,
If you do that then the connector is dirty. When you connect city water to that fitting I would hope you have a backflow preventer on your clean hose.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Ken,
If you do that then the connector is dirty. When you connect city water to that fitting I would hope you have a backflow preventer on your clean hose.
Al
Thanks,
I would not connect city water to that fitting. However the only hose I let get near waste water has a backflow preventer. I use the tank cleanout fitting on my trailer to flush the system.

Ken
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Question Stinky Slinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
My sentiments exactly. The fastest dump in my opinion is with the Slinky and topping the BW tank with water helps towards a more complete dump. The Sewer Solution solves the uphill dump issue as long as you have water pressure to run it.
Sorry, very new to many things RV. I see references to 'stinky slinky' here but cannot find any when I Google them. Is this something that is made by the RVer? I have seen pictures, they seem to be a piece of PVC pipe that is used to clean out the sewer line, maybe tank, of the RV.

Thanks
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Ken.

I think that you could adapt your unit to perform like my RV Sani Con macerator that does have a grey water bypass.

I bought my unit from Lanny, the inventor, before he sold out to Thetford. He probably sold his patent on the bypass to them.

To give you some idea of how this works you can find a drawing on the Thetford site under PARTS. I can’t copy and paste it because Adobe wants to be paid for that but access it this way:

Google RV Sani Con.

Open the Thetford site

Click on Parts

Open the pre- 2011 models and go to page 7 which is MODEL 62-5800.

I don’t know the Flowjet macerator outfit you are showing but if you can mount it with the flush inlet port at the side instead of at the top as shown, a 90 degree turn and with the outflow from the pump then facing down, there is no reason why you couldn’t invent a grey water bypass.

You just need to find hose and fittings to go from the flush inlet to a T inserted at the pump outlet.

You can better understand by looking at the Thetford drawings.

You don’t need to go to all that trouble either. Why can’t you just mount the device as I’m suggesting and run a discharge hose from the green plastic inlet? The secret is simple: water won’t pass through the macerator pump unless it’s powered. If you attach a hose and open your grey water valve the water will drain out naturally.

Sergei

« 1967 Caravel | Top | Toilet »