Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Leaky Shower

Hello,
Had my 2004 19' CCD out this past weekend for her first trip this year. I noticed a continuous leak from the shower. I check several times to make sure I had the water in the off position. I had to turn the outside water source off and turn it back on when I wanted to use the water. It did not do this last year. Any thoughts to fixes for this?
Thanks,
Chip

Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Did it freeze?

You don't say where the trailer spent the winter, but I would suspect that trapped water might have frozen in the shower valves. The shower is one of the harder places to get all of the water out when winterizing. I lay my shower head down by the drain and blast the water out with compressed air.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

The trailer spent the winter in Georgia and it got below freezing a few times so I suspect your right in your analysis. Now that I have this problem what should I do? replace the whole valve handle(where the water turns on and off)?

Thanks,
Chip
Old 03-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The answer to the question would be based on the extent of the damage.

if it is a Moen single handle faucet you could try to just replace the cartridge. I had this work for me on a trailer shower. If the cartridge does not fix it then you are in for a change out of the shower mixer.

By pulling the cartridge you also can verify that the leak is not being caused by debris in the cartridge. There are 4-6 o-rings on a Moen cartridge so it could be any of them.

BTW do you know what the water pressure was in this park? Does it leak while you are using the pump?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Not sure what the water pressure was at the park but I did have one of those Brass regulators between the hose and the camper. I will check it at the house with the water tank full and using the pump.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
weird I posted to this thread earlier today...did not show up...anyway---When mine broke it was at the entrance to the valve just behind the shower wall. The crack was where the pipe went into the valve. I unfortunately had no access to this area, had to cut a hole which is now covered by an access panel..but i was able to repair it with a piece of pipe from Home D and some plumbers goop. Has held up very well for a long while.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
newburgh , New York
Wow, that is our situation. A guy who does repairs on sites, found the cracked line inside the wall, but the access was very small. We did not want to butcher the shower wall, so we called airstream who said the access is behind the wall to the shower door. Not sure of how big a deal it is to unscrew the wall, cut the caulking, and after the repair hope the shubby still works............it's a 2013 20ft Flying Cloud We have the guy willing to try by cutting a large enough hole, but we need to keep it as original looking as possible due to possible selling so we are not sure if we should try moving the wall out of the way.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanroger View Post
We have the guy willing to try by cutting a large enough hole, but we need to keep it as original looking as possible due to possible selling so we are not sure if we should try moving the wall out of the way.
I needed access to several such places on my 3 former Airstreams. I solved it by cutting holes and installing marine deck plates, up to 12" or more diameter. I just traced around the deck plate ring, cut out the wall, carefully, with a saw, and screwed the deck plate in place. It is easy to simply unscrew the deck plate for later access. The deck plates look very nice and come in several colors.

When I converted my Interstate to twin beds, I installed two 6" deck plates to access the low-water drains and water heater winter bypass without removing the twin beds. In my Classic 28, I put in a larger deck plate to easily access the hard-to-reach water pump and another in the wardrobe to repair the sliding doors.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote