Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Leaky Faucet (Original)

OK, I have tried everything I can think of (check O rings, removed shower head, cleaned out etc.) and I cannot get my shower to stop leaking. Attached is the model shower faucet I have and its an original from my 71 Excella.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	163933  
africaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Leaking when it is completely turned off at the faucet valve or leaking when you push the button to shut it off on the shower head while the faucet valve is still in the on position?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Leaking when it is completely turned off at the faucet valve or leaking when you push the button to shut it off on the shower head while the faucet valve is still in the on position?
leaking when it is completely turned off at the faucet valve.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
In my 1978 I have a cartridge that I had to change out. It had the O rings, etc. attached to it. Do you have such a cartridge? On mine the O rings were okay but there was a rubber cup at the bottom that I needed to change.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
In my 1978 I have a cartridge that I had to change out. It had the O rings, etc. attached to it. Do you have such a cartridge? On mine the O rings were okay but there was a rubber cup at the bottom that I needed to change.
Where would the cartridge be?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
When you remove the handle it will be under that. Just keep unscrewing nuts and stuff till you get to it. Of course keep track about how to put it back together. Hard to explain in words. Basically just keep taking the valve apart until you get to it. Probably an inch long and a 1/2 inch in diameter. I had to really horse mine to get it out because it had been in there for so long. These things can be kind of brittle due to age so you really have to be careful not to snap something. Wish I could be more descriptive. Hopefully someone else will be able to explain it better than I have.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
No cartridge as far as I can tell. Here is an inside pic after I removed the front part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower faucet2_airstream.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	163936  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The cartridge is the part that the knob attaches to. It is the part that turns and controls the water flow and temp.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
You should be able to turn and/or pull the cartridge out. That's the part I really had to horse out.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Got it.. will try tonight.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I clamped on with a pair of vice grips. Of course, if you do that you are kind of
committed to getting it out and buying a new cartridge.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's the Moen taps that have a replaceable cartridge. We had to replace the one in our kitchen, and I agree, it's a real tough job on an older unit, since the salts and minerals in the water built up a ridge on the insides and impede getting the old cartridge out.

Moen has a lifetime guarantee, and we got a new replacement for free at Home Depot, although lots of places sell them.

If you're interested, here's the part of my log of our work on Henri The Sov where I did that job.

The tub has the same exact tap, but so far it's been OK. I'm thinking that perhaps I should replace it while it might come out easier, rather than wait till I have another mammoth pull job to accomplish with it...