Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Leaking toilet

I have a 72 tradewind and the toilet is leaking from a fixture in the top. I can see it with a mirror but cant get to it unless I take the toilet out which I dont know how to do. But it looks like the top can come off and I can fix it without removing it. But I dont see any screws or anything else holding it on. I dont want to break it if its not supposed to come off. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Bmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Bmtt the toilet will have to come off the floor to replace the water valve. There will be two bolts holding it to the floor. One will be behind the foot pedal in the front and the other is at the back of the toilet. Depending on your layout there will be some access hole to get at the back bolt.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If it's original - it's likely an Aqua Magic. You can find the manuals for it here:

Product Manuals
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Thinks for the info. Is there a wax ring or something I should replace in the process?
Bmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yes, there is a rubber seal. They are cheap and available most any RV place. Get a couple to have on hand.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
So, BMtt..........how'ed it go for taking that toilet out? I'm in the process of pulling the Thetford outta our '71 overlander. (was that original or a replacemnt?) Can't believe some engineer put the bolts where they are; behind the foot pedel that has to be held down while you remove the nut and 12" down a blind hole. I couldn't even get a light to shine down there. This was definately not designed for someone with rebuilt knees/hips. I've got those two nuts off and waited for another day to get the water supply disconnected. Nothing is easy, there. Hubby couldn't even get one hand down behind to get to the water connection. Maybe tomorrow. Hope you're faring better.
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
As I was removing that old toilet, I knew I'd never get that nut back down that black hole. Once the floor nuts were off, I could lift the toilet and then could get to the leaking water line. To my chigrin, once the thing was out, I discovered a po had knocked a hole in the right side of the toilet, installed an access panel in the rear bulkhead so he could get to that $@^^# back bolt without going down thru the dreaded hole. Wishing all who take on this project the best of success.
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet