Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Kitchen sink drain soils shower

I have 2009 Flying Cloud 27FB. Whenever we drain the kitchen sink, it percolates up into the shower drain creating an ugly mess. I had a local dealer check it out and was told it was a design flaw in the plumbing. It doesn't matter if the kitchen sink is only a 1/4 full or I drain it slowly, it still comes up into the shower drain. There is what appears to be an automatic vent next to the shower under the closet floor. The factory suggested I put a tee in there and connect to the existing vent. I more inclined to think it might be a problem with the automatic vent. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas. I think it may be time to take it back to the dealer as it is still under warranty.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It does sound like a tank vent problem. Had a trailer once with a simular problem, and it was clogged vent.

If it's till under warranty, I would definately take it back.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for your reply. The dealer checked the vents and gave an all clear. However, I'm not sure they verified the working order of the automatic vent. Another thing, the top of the AV is only maybe a foot above the drain in the shower. I don't know if that is enough head for the AV to work. I'm looking into this, but hoping others will chime in.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has never had this problem that you mention; Also my floor plan is different. But here is a picture of my bathroom vent that is located under my bathroom sink. I would guess that it is about two feet above the floor. ???? I don't have a picture of it, but there is one just like this one located under my kitchen sink.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
there's the sink vent and then there's the tank vent. This situation sounds like the tank vent.

Make sure that the pipe from the tank to the roof hasn't come loose and settled into the tank. Make sure it is clear of any obstructions.

If all else fails, you could replace the shower trap with something like the Hepvo trap. That's a low profile P trap that is really just a one way valve. That would prevent any backup from the drain into the shower basin.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Our International has the same issue. It was checked out by two different dealers who were not able to find the cause. Our way of dealing with it is to use a plug in the shower. This has always worked -- there is not enough pressure created by the draining of the kitchen sink to push to stopper out. We just have to remember to put the plug in. Not so hard to remember when you've cleaned up the mess a couple of times . . .

Debbie
Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have to look up the floorplan of the 2009 Flying Cloud, but for us, the gray tank is directly under the shower. I have to agree, a big design flaw. When we empty the kitchen sink, or are on the road, the tank will back up into the shower. The water drains away, but it leaves a big mess!

What we do is get one of the rubber drain stoppers from the hardware store, and put a smooth rock (although, any “weight” will work) on top of it. Be sure the fit is snug, and use a weight. The air pressure will want to pop it out.

Keeps us dry.

Tracy
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
We have had this issue a few times and discussed it with our dealer also who said the plumbing is essentially flat. We discussed the under counter vents but the dealer indicated the plumbing vents generally do not wear out so need to change it. We have noticed that if we are very careful leveling the trailer, it will work fine; if we are off a bit (in the wrong direction) we end up with a little water in the shower.
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for all your comments and tips. I'll try the plug and I like the idea of the Hepvo trap. However the Hepvo trap or the factory's suggestion both involve serious dismantling of parts or panels that I feel I shouldn't have to do on a new trailer still under warranty. I'm still waiting for the factory to respond to my latest email.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
...........both involve serious dismantling of parts or panels that I feel I shouldn't have to do on a new trailer still under warranty. I'm still waiting for the factory to respond to my latest email.
If it's still under warranty then settle for nothing less than a 100% total fix. It's boggles my mind that AS can produce something that does this. They are supposed to be the best. It doesn't make sense that you should have to carry a plug and a rock around with you, then remember to use them just to pour a little water down your sink drain.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sometimes, the easiest way to fix something is the cheapest, and works...if our '89 345 was under warranty, I'd make them fix it...but, a ten pound rock and a plug works for us...part of the price of growing old(er)...we had 5(yep,FIVE) cracks in our gray water tank fixed 2 years ago...they had to drop the tank, re-insert the vent after cutting access to the vent in the floor of our closet, and we now have a leak to the ground that signals me to DUMP...get the warranty work done before they say"...too late...".
Stall is a frequent maneuver, but documentation of attempt works well in court...m

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote