Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
Well the aristreams they are selling in Japan are the ones made by Airstream Europe- separate website and all.
It's my belief that the European units are made in Jackson Center, OH. I say that because I saw two of them being assembled there on the plant tour I took recently (November).

Lower bodies, "handles" on the front and back, a much longer "A" frame, that had a handbrake on the permanently attached wheel on the power jack. Apparently, the European owners are used to pushing their TTs around to park them.

Sorry if this is off-topic, with regards to the OP's plans.

Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
If money is an issue you should be aware that used 34 footers sell for less than the 25's & 27 footers. So you can get more for less when it comes to Airstreams.
I agree completely with this statement, and would also say that buying a new unit and then selling if you decide to return to Japan would result in you losing a significant amount of money disappearing in depreciation.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
. , .
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
...If you have some time, I would appreciate some interior measurements of your 34'...I'd still like to chalk the road so that we can do a walk through.
here are the basic interior measurements for the 34.

the back half is essentially the same on a 31 and there is overlap with other models in the classic series.

essentially ALL 34s built in the widebody series will be the same (except for twin bed or front kitchen models.

34 slides have a tiny bit LONGER bath/lav area and the galley on the curbside typically.

IF u have a floorplan you can fill in these figures from the rear forward.

-overall interior shell space 31'x8'

1. bedroom space 8'x8', with a 74x54 BOX under the mattress.

mattress is a standard "rv queen" these are ~54"x74"

side closets (blouse/shirt length) are 31"x14" one on each side

floor space AROUND bed/box is ~15" wide. (i walk sideways around the bed)

2. "lav/shower module" is 6'x44", shower interior is 39"x28" and sink counter 36"x18", toilet space is 40"x22"

open STANDING floor space in lav module is ~22"x22"

3. closet module is 6'x29" with 4.5'x26" inside hanging and ~10" drawers stacked at the rear end.

4. this leaves ~6' x 2' of open floor HALL space.

5. NARROW POINT is at the fridge/shower at ~19" wide.

6. "galley module" is 8'x25", this is sink/countertops/range/oven and cabinetry.

7. fridge is 27" wide and 3' deep (for the 10cf model)

8. dinette space is 76"x42" overall, table is 26"x42" and sleeping space is 72"x40"

9. open FLOOR space between dinette and galley is ~ 8'x26 with 36" width right in front of fridge/microwave

10. over head lockers are ~14" deep leaving ~ 4' of head/shoulder space WIDTH in the galley.

11. front lounge OPEN space is ~6'x7'

12. sofa is 38"x74" with arms that extend the width to 8'.

13. credenza/flip up table ENCLOSURES are ~8" wide on each side with SHORT 'cabinet' (next to stove) at ~2'x2'x29" tall.

14. entry door is 65"x26" and approx standard opening for ALL modern streams.

15. standing interior height is ~79" with 76" under the a/c and at each interior DOOR.

that's pretty much everything.

the ideal place to mark out the dimensions would be INSIDE an enclosed garage/shed

where 2 walls (side/end) can provide more of an encapsulated feel.

or along an exterior building WALL which can serve as the street side wall.

still the walks/floor space and layout can be chalked up anywhere.

good luck

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
Carol uploaded some high resolution photos. Does anyone have the interior specs for the 27FB? I'd still like to chalk the road so that we can do a walk through.
I will try to follow 2Air's form in listing the measurements of the 27' this coming weekend. He did a stellar job on specifying the 34' measurements.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
A good used diesel truck won't set you back as much as you think. I got my [then] three-year old diesel for WAAY less than half of new retail as it had high miles, man-trans and 2wd. Economy is outstanding: I haven't been below 23 mpg the last 4-mos/12k miles (mainly highway). The 305/555 motor Dodge is impressive, and there are no maintenance problems. (On the other hand, it is a long, heavy truck; so the trade-off is noticeable solo). I had a 34' trailer and it was easy to live with once one understood that the rig is at 63' overall. Backing no problem at all in most instances. One is simply patient with oneself until experience accrues.

We prefer a rear bedroom set-up to make two living areas. Trailer size irrelevant to this want/need. Personally, I'd avoid anything with a slide, and .. were I looking for a 34', I'd look for year models approx 1982-1994 as price and condition can be very good.

Here was one that looked so good that I saved it. Rear bedroom, L-shape lounge, stove to "rear" of kitchen, etc. Cosmetics (floor and furniture coverings) are easily changed:
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
Full time when you are a student, where do you plan to park?
California is not easy to just park and live?
good luck! sit on the toilet when you shower no big deal, we do not have a shower and love our gal. OUr last rig had the toilet shower and nothing is perfect.
Good luck with all of your dreams and plans.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas

I see that you're located in Malibu, maybe we could just park it on the beach behind you.

I've looked at the rv parks in the SF area and rent for most of them is around $7-900 a month. More than we want to spend, but we may not have a choice, hence, the 27FB idea. I figure if my plans don't turn out the way I hope, it would be easier to sell an FB than a 34. Our plans aren't written into stone so things may change once when we get there.

I need to take a few classes at SF state and then apply to the Pharmacy programs within California, my first choice is UCSF, but may have to settle on one of the others. My wife is Japanese and it would be much easier for her to find a job in California than in, for example, Kansas.

Rednax, thanks for the link. Nice, too bad it's been sold.
Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I have done exactly what you propose, except I did it in San Diego in 1987 in a 1970 23' Safari Special. It is do-able, and I would suggest that anything in the 28-31' range would be workable for you. The problem will be finding a park that allows full-time RVs. Zoning issues throughout the country have changed in the ensuing twenty years, and it's more and more difficult to find a trailer park that you can stay in an RV-style trailer for more than 30 days.

Do your homework on the parks before you buy. You may have to find alternate accommodations on a ranch (which I also did in SoCal) or somewhere else that has less restrictive zoning issues.

BTW, after over twenty years of Airstream trailer ownership, I abandoned the trailer line, mostly because the showers are short because of the trailer design. I'm 6'5" tall and haven't been able to stand easily in any of them. The SOB trailer I own now allows me to stand in the shower comfortably with room to spare. That's not a big deal if you only use the trailer to travel in. It becomes a much larger annoyance if you're living in the trailer and using the shower every day.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
I didn't realize that trailer parks have become unfriendly to RVs. I'll have to call around before venturing out to California. I remember living in a TP when I was about seven and the guy next door had a fifth wheel. I thought that it was so cool that he just leave anytime he wanted to.

I do know that some of the RV parks around SF have a six month policy. That's really got me thinking about what we should do.

Wish I knew someone in California that could point me in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Japanese showers are the sit down type, so I'm used to sitting. I was just surprised by the low headroom in the Airstream.