Old 04-15-2002, 01:11 PM   #1

Question Is my commode leaking?

Hello fellow Airstream enthusiasts! I would like to first comment on the great site you folks maintain. Although this is my first post, I'm sure it won't be my last. Now, on to the problem at hand. I live fulltime in my 1995 25' Excella Classic, and have had very few problems to this point. However, yesterday I noticed the carpet around my commode was damp (H2O - not bad aim!). I believe the only entry point for rainwater, would be the bathroom vent fan. Although it has rained the past couple of days, I have yet to witness water leaking from the vent. So, has anyone had a problem with a Thetford Aqua-magic leaking? If so, what was the cure. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fooltime

Old 04-15-2002, 02:17 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had an Aqua Magic IV in my old trailer and had a leak. One possibility is the water line itself that came up behind the toilet and had a nylon nut compression fitting into the toilet. If that comes loose you will get water.

The other possiblity is a rubber bladder that is in the flushing assembly contained in the toilet. I have found that overtime the rubber can decompose (possibly through the use of cheap RV antifreeze products) and will leak. Unfortunately I remember this repair was a bear since I had to work with no visual except for a mirror.

Hopefully the problem will just amount to tightning the nut on the water line connection to the toilet.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:29 PM   #3

Smile Thanks!

I really appreciate your quick response! I will be sure to check the compression fitting tonight. I believe I have a service manual for the toilet in my owners information. So, thanks again and I'll report back with my findings.

Fooltime
Old 04-15-2002, 03:00 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fooltime
I will be sure to check the compression fitting tonight. I believe I have a service manual for the toilet in my owners information.
Things change overtime so your model may be different from the one I worked on years ago. Here is a link to their web page if you need some additional info.

Jack

http://www.thetford.com/parts_aquamagiciv.cfm
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There is another entry for rain water. Check the gaskets in your "vent pipe covers." If they are cracked, water will come in around the outside of the black vent pipes, and then on to the floor. Andy
Old 04-16-2002, 10:24 AM   #6

After a quick inspection yesterday, I'm fairly certain that it's indeed my toilet leaking. However, I'm still not sure what part of the mechanism is at fault, as I haven't disassembled it yet. I will definitely check the condition of my vent pipe gasket though. As I'm sure this is an original component. Thanks again for your help.

Fooltime