Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Is a wet bath remodel possible?

We just spent 3 weeks and 5500 miles on the maiden voyage. What a way to learn all about your trailer! I'm wondering if there's a way to remodel the bath on a 23 ft Safari. I've already gutted out the front and curbside gauchos and replaced the front gaucho with a wonderful almost-queen size custom curved mattress and the rear gaucho with a dinette that has storage in the benches. I've replaced the Univolt with a low profile converter that I can see would go perfectly in the dinette seat making it much easier to access and change fuses. (See pics) What would remain in the funky corner rear closet would be the blower motor for the fan and the vents. The sink plumbing is right there. The only design problem is, where to put a hand sink? On our second night out the current hand sink literally disintigrated. The plastic was brittle and thin as eggshell. Gaffers tape was an acceptable temporary fix. I've searched old posts and can't really find anything about a total bath remodel and I'm wondering if it's sheer folly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	26980   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette storage.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	26981  

Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greetins Blu...

And welcome home!
I can't point you to them, because I can never find the same thread twice; but there are some very nice, total bathroom makeovers buried in these forums. All it takes is $$$.
Tell is more about your trip. Got pictures?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Wet Bath

Very tasteful colors on your goucho. Thanks for posting the pictures.

There are a few wet bath renovations but one noteworthy thread is '1962 22' Safari.' If you do a search for this thread you will see Carlos' sweet work.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Do you have the layout where there is a wet bath in the very rear, with the toilet streetside, and a little closet curbside?
If so, then you can feasibly remove the entire vanity with the tiny sink in it, and build ( or have built) a new vanity. the shower pan is not part of the vanity. It can stay in place. the panels under the toilet can be replaced esily with either stainless or new plastic sheeting.
You can remove the closet, and use the space to build a new countertop with a drop in sink.All the walls inside and behind the vanity under the rear window are finished. The stuff just sits on top. A new Sealand porcelain low profile toilet is a perfect fit for this.
It takes a little bit of work, but can be done without too much effort. While underway,the existing shower pan can be refinished.
I completely took apart the bathroom in my 71 Tradewind, which has a similar layout as the Safari. I had it all refinished by a bathtub restoration service. It came out looking and smelling like new.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Wet bath remodel possible?

Uwe,

Could you take out the closet and put in a standing shower there?
I would sure like the extra room in our wet bath.

Thanks,

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Tx
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pace
Uwe,

Could you take out the closet and put in a standing shower there?
I would sure like the extra room in our wet bath.

Thanks,

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Tx
WBCCI 7287
Lee,
In my ever so humble opinion...
there's not enough room for a standing shower where the closet is now. The curve of the wall would make standing up in that corner possible only for a sub 5ft human.
But you can gain perceived roominess, and elbow room by cutting the closet in half and using it as a counter top.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I'd definitely like to improve the bath in our '78 Argosy 24. I've seen the picutres from Smokeless_Joe's gut and rebuild and it looks like all the walls are "finished" under the vanity and all the other doo-dads that clutter up the bath.

The closet is the main electrical center and although it's a lousy place of electics I'd like to avoid the rewire project at this point. If I just strip out all the molding and other "stuff" is it feasible to then seal up the holes in the aluminum skin and have the whole think coated in a white sealer like they use for truck beds? I'd leave in the shower pan and probably replace the bulkhead on the shower side (curb side) with something water proof and a little more solid, like oh say aluminum sheet . As for the floor I'd be tempted to just pull the carpet (what a bad idea in a bathroom) and then use the bedliner material directly on the plywood. That's assuming that when I pull the carpet there's no surprizes.

And yes, with the curve the shower area is about perfect for someone 5' tall. Unfortunately I'm 6'.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
fastrob: Well I searched and searced and couldn't find the thread. That seems to be a real problem with these forums is that the search engine is not very specific. There is a huge collection of knowledge here but, as Klevan said, it's nearly impossible to find something again. It would be cool if there was sort of a wikipedia for remodling, repair etc. I had no doubt that somebody out there in Forum land has done what I want to do but finding that particular thing seems impossible....otherwise you would have posted the link to it right?

And Uwe, as for your suggestion about putting a sink in the corner where the closet is...well, that got me thinking. If the sink was there it would make better use of the hobbit-like proportions back in that corner and open things up more but there's still the problem of that I want to eliminate: getting down on my hands and knees and mop up the floor when I finish taking a shower.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
And Uwe, as for your suggestion about putting a sink in the corner where the closet is...well, that got me thinking. If the sink was there it would make better use of the hobbit-like proportions back in that corner and open things up more but there's still the problem of that I want to eliminate: getting down on my hands and knees and mop up the floor when I finish taking a shower.
Can't help you with the search engines..
but now that we have a separate bathtub, we still ( "we" actually meaning BOTH my wife and I) wipe down the tub every time we're done showering or bathing.
I was relly only missing the elbow room in the TradeWind's wet bath. I would stand facing the rear window, and shower away. Unfortunately, often accompanied by banging my arm or elbow into this silly closet. We had a bath mat that we used for the shower pan, it was absorbent enought where one could put it into the wet shower pan, sort of as a bath rug. It would double as a floor mat outside the shower while showering. We would take it home with dirty towels and wash it in between outings.
Converting the closet to a counter height sink cabinet would still give storage space, but opne up the little bath considerably to the eye and body..
All things considered, the tradeoff to a larger bath in a sub 25ft trailer is living space up front. I have always favored the living space over a huge bath. Our Overlander ( 1963) does have a slighty larger bath, which is more than plenty for daily hygiene.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Uwe: Got pictures?

I know it's next to impossible to photograph these tiny spaces but I'd sure like to see a picture of your remodel. I'm fortunate that my Safari is the model that didn't have the twin beds, making it easy to remodel the space to have a dedicated real bed in front for people that like to sleep together that is also big enough for very comfortable reading & lounging) and build in a dinette (which makes into a modest almost twin bed) for a permanent place to eat. But, as you said, having more living space sacrifices the bath area. 23' is perfect for getting into tiny state park spots that we prefer and I really wouldn't want extra length just for a bigger bath. There's just got to be a more efficient use of the space.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
fastrob: Well I searched and searced and couldn't find the thread. That seems to be a real problem with these forums is that the search engine is not very specific. There is a huge collection of knowledge here but, as Klevan said, it's nearly impossible to find something again. It would be cool if there was sort of a wikipedia for remodling, repair etc. I had no doubt that somebody out there in Forum land has done what I want to do but finding that particular thing seems impossible....otherwise you would have posted the link to it right?
Try here for the Carlos thread. The bathroom part starts on page 20. The complele thread is worth a look.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Wow! That thread is an incredible resource. It should be enshrined in some kind of Forums Hall of Fame so people can find it more easily and not have to rely on the folklore of those who already know about it. It will take some time to go through it but looks like a fascinating read.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
No pics, sorry.

Quote:
I know it's next to impossible to photograph these tiny spaces but I'd sure like to see a picture of your remodel. I'm fortunate that my Safari is the model that didn't have the twin beds, making it easy to remodel the space to have a dedicated real bed in front for people that like to sleep together that is also big enough for very comfortable reading & lounging) and build in a dinette (which makes into a modest almost twin bed) for a permanent place to eat. But, as you said, having more living space sacrifices the bath area. 23' is perfect for getting into tiny state park spots that we prefer and I really wouldn't want extra length just for a bigger bath. There's just got to be a more efficient use of the space.
Having towed a 19, then a 25, now a 26ft Airstream, I must say that there is little difference in towing them. I do prefer the tandem axles over single axles.
I sold the TradeWind to finance the down payment on the remodel of the 26ft Overlander...I don't believe that I do have any bath pictures anywhere. You're right, the space is too small to take pictures that make sense, unless you shoot through the wide open rear window.

Some of the late 60's model Globetrotters had side bath and a lounge that goes into the corner next to the bath. That, I thought was also sort of a good use of space.
They again did this on late model Safaris and Bambis, but I beleive these traielrs are wider. Take a look at some of the new Airstreams, you might get a brilliant idea while touring the showrooms.