Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #1

Westmoreland , Kansas
Incinerator toilet

Has anyone ever installed/used an incinerator toilet in their vintage airstream?

Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Now that's a hot idea. Never heard of one. Is there really such a critter? Sounds like it would make you real popular around the campground at BarBQ time.

In the early 70s' there was an option called a Thermosan. There was a hose that ran from le toilet to the exhaust manifold in the TV. Given the state of gas it's time for a comeback if some one can figure out a way to get some poop power. I can see making the rounds at the ol campground looking for donations.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I did a brief study on the Incinolet toilet for inclusion in my restoration project. It's quite a throne (and the folks that make it are pretty proud based upon the price). In order for it to work, you've got to have 110v power, dedicated circuit. This puts boondocking off the option list, or you have to go to the expense of a generator on top of the cost of the toilet. It's still a neat idea and a sanitary way to dispose of waste.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
toilet alternative

What about a vacuflush system? I just completed putting on in my 56 and was pretty happy that I could squeeze a great deal into a small area, plus make a wet bath.

What are your requirements? is space the issue?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Wow, things have changed since DaNang 1969. The incinerator toilets we had consisted of half a 55 gallon drum receptacle that needed to be burned off when approaching capacity.Just add 5 gallons of JP-4 light it and get upwind. That was a $hitty detail for sure.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What about a composting toilet?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #7

Westmoreland , Kansas
Space requirements

Space is definately an issue. I'm looking at a old silver streak. Without sounding too girly, I'm looking at solutions that have as little "icky" work as possible. I'm the type that will skin my own deer- as long as I don't ruin my manicure doing it. I thought an incinerator toilet would provide less, ahem...waste so to speak. I'm looking at living in it year round for a couple of years.

Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Space is definately an issue. I'm looking at a old silver streak. Without sounding too girly, I'm looking at solutions that have as little "icky" work as possible. I'm the type that will skin my own deer- as long as I don't ruin my manicure doing it. I thought an incinerator toilet would provide less, ahem...waste so to speak. I'm looking at living in it year round for a couple of years.

Tessa
I also originally desperately wanted an Incincolet. Can't deal with the idea of a black water tank and having to drain it. Just freaks me out. did some research and I found through posts on here this neat contraption called the Biolet NE. It does not require electricity to run and it can actually use and compost normal everyday toilet paper. I don't have the link handy but I think this is my final choice...it was funny, I also looked at the Nature's Head toilet (I think that's what it's called) and in readin about it, I came to the conclusion that all toilet activity had to be done sitting down (apparently so that fluids and solids can be sorted out while right in the process). While this is not a problem for me (being female), my significant other Lino had a horrified look on his face when I asked him if he could pee sitting down all the time, I knew that wasn't the option. It looks like the Biolet has a fairly normal sized footprint too, which helps. And you can use the compost in your flower beds!! (Don't ever put human waste, composted or not, into vegetable or edible garden beds)

My two cent's....

Sue
1957 Overlander "Kalea"
SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Thanks for the valuable information on the Biolet, which I hadn't heard of until now.

I have looked into the Incinolet and learned that in addition to the 110V connection, it also requires the installation of proprietary paper liners before each use.

The Biolet "30 NE," on the other hand, looks very promising. As mentioned, it's specially designed for installations without electric hook-up. Other than the vent tube, it only requires a 6 gallon receptacle for receiving excess liquid.

Could an Airstream black tank be modified for such use? I am hoping that lewster or another resident expert can weigh in on this.

The Installation/Owner's Manual for the 30 NE is available in a PDF download on the Biolet site.

Apparently the 30 NE uses a composting system that merely requires switching out the holding tank and allowing nature to complete the composting process outside the installation.

It seems like that kind of system (and no water required, either) would be perfect for extended boondocking.
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ode-46180.html
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Go View Post
Thanks for the valuable information on the Biolet, which I hadn't heard of until now.

I have looked into the Incinolet and learned that in addition to the 110V connection, it also requires the installation of proprietary paper liners before each use.

The Biolet "30 NE," on the other hand, looks very promising. As mentioned, it's specially designed for installations without electric hook-up. Other than the vent tube, it only requires a 6 gallon receptacle for receiving excess liquid.

Could an Airstream black tank be modified for such use? I am hoping that lewster or another resident expert can weigh in on this.

The Installation/Owner's Manual for the 30 NE is available in a PDF download on the Biolet site.

Apparently the 30 NE uses a composting system that merely requires switching out the holding tank and allowing nature to complete the composting process outside the installation.

It seems like that kind of system (and no water required, either) would be perfect for extended boondocking.
When I was reading up on the Biolet NE, it was my impression you didn't need the black water tank. Is that what you are asking-can the space be used for another tank, like the gray water or fresh water, etc?

That could be kinda cool...in demo'ing my Overlander, I found that the fresh water tank is in the FRONT of the trailer while the hot water tank space is in the bathroom wardrobe-which for some reason doesn't make sense to me, but then again it does all at the same time-to even out the weight maybe? I know, I'm talking like a total noob.

I am excited about the biolet...the more I look at it the more I convince myself the expense is worth it. And my flowers will be happier.

By the way, I am originally a Masshole at heart (born and raised!) and lived in NH before moving out here to Seattle. Where in Northern New England are you? So many spots to boondock there!!!
SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote