Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
How often do small TT owners use the inside shower?

The PO of my GT had the bright idea of converting the rear bath into space for 2 bunk beds, so he removed and discarded the shower pan. That's as far as he got, thank goodness.
Now, rather than racking my brain in trying to figure how to replace the shower pan, I'm toying with the idea of just adding an outdoor shower. I never cared much for those cramped shower areas in the little trailers anyhow. I've always used campground showers when available. There is a 9" X 12" compartment door just aft of the curbside window and between the two sinks (see photo) and it looks like an ideal spot to mount an outdoor shower. That compartment just opens to the interior of the fridge vent.
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of such a modification (bathing suit or modesty curtain required)?
The toilet and bathroom sink will still be there, so would I be significantly lowering the intrinsic value of the GT if I forego the inside shower?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May16^27.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	12186  
Attached Images

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's your trailer, do as you like.

We regularly use our shower. I like having all my own facilities. Many people we have met in our travels prefer to use the camp showers. I don't think it would be a huge detriment to it's value if you don't replace the shower. Plenty of people will still want it just because it is a small AS.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
The PO of my GT had the bright idea of converting the rear bath into space for 2 bunk beds, so he removed and discarded the shower pan. That's as far as he got, thank goodness.
Now, rather than racking my brain in trying to figure how to replace the shower pan, I'm toying with the idea of just adding an outdoor shower. I never cared much for those cramped shower areas in the little trailers anyhow. I've always used campground showers when available. There is a 9" X 12" compartment door just aft of the curbside window and between the two sinks (see photo) and it looks like an ideal spot to mount an outdoor shower. That compartment just opens to the interior of the fridge vent.
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of such a modification (bathing suit or modesty curtain required)?
The toilet and bathroom sink will still be there, so would I be significantly lowering the intrinsic value of the GT if I forego the inside shower?
I have a corner showerpan from a 22 foot Argosy Minuet. Give me some dimensions and I might be able to help you out.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We use our TT shower when boondocking all the time. I also usually use it when in a campground...but will occaisionally use the ones with more elbow room in clean campgrounds.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
We use the campground showers. The shower is kind of a storage catch all. I have large stackable bins in there to hold items that don't seem to fit anywhere else. It is easy to remove them, as they just sit on the floor of the shower. So we can use the shower if we need to do so. I think the outside shower is an interesting idea if you have kids, but I don't know that I would like it.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I have a corner showerpan from a 22 foot Argosy Minuet. Give me some dimensions and I might be able to help you out.
Thanks very much for the offer, but I think the Argosy 22' had a tub/shower combination whereas the '66GT had just a shower pan which pretty much covered the whole bathroom floor.
Stef is right as rain about it being my trailer and I can do whatever I want, but I always consider what I'm doing to the resale value when I make any modifications to a vintage trailer.
In this case, I guess there's nothing wrong with re-flooring over the missing shower pan and letting the next owner (I'm reasonably sure this GT will outlive me) worry about what he/she wants to do.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
The GT looks like a real find! So does this mean Rambo found a new home?

Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Oh my dear Stef, Rambo sold on eBay 3 weeks ago. How did you miss that? The guy who bought it is going to strip the camo paint and put it back on eBay. I sold it for $2800. It will be interesting to see what he gets for it. That was a really nice trailer. I was surprised that so many folks were so scared off by the camo paint that it went for less than some of the junk I've seen on eBay and elsewhere.

The '66 GT was a good find and was only 30 miles away. It was a sweet deal but the pick-up cost me dearly. My son-in-law was driving his GMC late model pick up at about 55mph to go fetch it, when an elderly lady pulled out of a side road right smack in front of us in her little Pontiac Vibe. There was no way my to avoid the crash.
Both vehicles were totaled but nobody was seriously injured. The really scary part is that my 2 yr old grandson was in the back seat. Thank God for child safety seats. Our truck wound up in a ditch on the opposite side of the road. We were all taken to the hospital by ambulance, treated and released.
I picked the GT up the next day with my Jimmy.

I shudder to think of what might have happened if we had the AS in tow when the accident occured.

Please folks, be careful out there. Drive carefully, obey speed limits, wear seat belts and ALWAYS watch out for the other guy. That elderly gal had 3 friends in the car with her. If my son-in-law was not an experienced truck driver, we might have hit them broadside and there would have been fatalities.

Sorry to drift off topic, but I feel very blessed to be able to write this with just minor injuries rather than what could have been.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How often do small TT owners use the inside shower?

Greetings Roger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Thanks very much for the offer, but I think the Argosy 22' had a tub/shower combination whereas the '66GT had just a shower pan which pretty much covered the whole bathroom floor.
Stef is right as rain about it being my trailer and I can do whatever I want, but I always consider what I'm doing to the resale value when I make any modifications to a vintage trailer.
In this case, I guess there's nothing wrong with re-flooring over the missing shower pan and letting the next owner (I'm reasonably sure this GT will outlive me) worry about what he/she wants to do.
The standard layout for all three Minuets (6.0 Metre (20'), 6.7 Metre (22'), and 7.3 Metre (24')) included the stall-type shower -- I suspect that this was in part a weight saving measure as well as a cost-cutting measure.

For comparison, the typical (standard) Argosy 20, 22, 24 are below:

The Minuets tended to have a number of quirks or features that were not found in their cousins in the regular model lineup.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have a little trailer and a wee, small, tiny, tiny shower. I've never used it - we store stuff in it. Besides being really tiny (did I already say that?) our holding tanks are also really tiny - a shower would fill 'em up.

But it is comforting to know that in an emergency it's there and with some twisting and contorting, one could, in theory, get clean-ish.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Gosh, Rog, what a scary thing to happen on a trip to pick up a new toy! I had a similar incident, about ten years ago we were driving over the mountains to fetch a Mustang I'd located in Seattle, when we hit black ice and rolled our truck. Nobody got hurt, but the truck was totalled, and I felt pretty stupid heading out on a trip like that just to get a car I didn't even need, just wanted it for a project. I was kicking myself for months over how much worse it could have been. Never did get that mustang, had to spend the money on a new vehicle to replace the truck.

But let the could have been's go, be glad you're all safe, and you did get your new toy home safely the next day. That GT looks like a keeper!

Too bad about Rambo. That's cheap for a trailer in that condition. I can see how most people wouldn't want to deal with stripping it though. That could be a lot of work.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

I like the idea of an outdoor shower add-on. I may do the same on my Monty project. I am having a new bath-pan made out of heavy gauge galv-steel. Then I will have it sprayed with Rino bedliner. Sounds industrial I know, but you'll have to wait to see the end remodel. Anyway, having a new pan made may work for you in your case. Having both options for showers will probably add to the value down the road, but I don't think that should be much to worry about. Who knows what the next owner has in mind. Do what works for you now and spend your time and money enjoying using the GT.

Also, I think bathing suits and shower curtains are highly over rated at times....

Take care.
Will
William8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by William8979
I like the idea of an outdoor shower add-on.
Even the $100,000 RL Trailers have outdoor showers ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

We use the shower/tub in our Globetrotter exclusively. When stopping at rest areas during our travels, we use the airstream only. Some rest areas, along some interstates, are gross. Its doesn't matter how tiny our bathroom is, there is nothing like using your own.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We use ours every time we go camping. Never considered anything else.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
We use the shower/tub in our Globetrotter exclusively. When stopping at rest areas during our travels, we use the airstream only. Some rest areas, along some interstates, are gross. Its doesn't matter how tiny our bathroom is, there is nothing like using your own.
A bad roadtrip where we ate too much fast food and encountered too many disgusting bathrooms was one of the main reasons we switched to trailer travel. Never bothered my husband as much as me, of course! Now we can cook our own little meals and enjoy them in a rest stop or at some nice pull-off along the way, and have our own facilities as well.

But I can see how some would find the shower optional. It's easy to use the campground showers instead, and makes less of a mess in the trailer.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
A bad roadtrip where we ate too much fast food and encountered too many disgusting bathrooms was one of the main reasons we switched to trailer travel. Never bothered my husband as much as me, of course! Now we can cook our own little meals and enjoy them in a rest stop or at some nice pull-off along the way, and have our own facilities as well.

But I can see how some would find the shower optional. It's easy to use the campground showers instead, and makes less of a mess in the trailer.
My dad use to always say, "My rest stop is always right behind me!".
After I graduated from college I started travelling for work. I never stayed in a motel or motel until then. I sure missed my trailer then!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
We always use our shower. And ours is a wet bath so it's a little more hassel.

But it sure beats walking to the campground shower carrying your supplies and wearing your shower shoes!

It's much easier to bath the little ones in the trailer shower too.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
We also have a wet bath. My child takes a shower in it every day while I use the campground showers.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Guess it's split somewhere in the middle...

I't just seems easy to shower in the TT. I find that the hot water heater has enough for 2 showers and doing the dishes when running it for only 10 minutes or so.

I'd rather greet the public after a shower and a cup 'o java.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote