Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
How do I find the correct replacement toilet?

So here is the back story.
My new baby that I'm bring home tomorrow NEEDED a new toilet a year ago. The old owners took her down to their local RV dealer to have it fixed. The dealer pulled the bad toilet out and when he went to put the new one in, he found out that he ordered the wrong one. When the old owners had dropped it off and asked for a rush job because they were leaving on a trip in 4 days, the RV dealer took it upon himself and cut into the fiberglass sround to fit the wrong toilet that he ordered. Needless to say they were angry and did not pay him for distroying the AS.
So now we own it and I would like to fix it. Here are my options.
1. Buy a new toilet and find a new fiberglass sround that is attached to the tub or have someone fix the fiberglass.
2. (and I'm wondering if anyone has done this) cut way the fiberglass and make a something new around the toilet to make it nice.

As it sits right now you have to reach to the back of the toilet to flush and watch out for fiberglass sharp sides. The old owners put duct tape around the sharp parts and then put black pipe foam insulation around it all so the toilet does not shift when driving down the road. The toilet also sits below the fiberglass so your butt is lower then the fiberglass.

If I buy a new one...how or where do I find out which one is the right one.
Thanks
Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Meredith, You should look in the forums tab above! Select the trailers section and scroll down to your model the year. Look for photos of the bathroom in a trailer like yours! That will give you an idea just how much destuction was done to the fiberglas surrounding the toilet. Then see if you can get a member here who owns the same trailer as yours to give you all the measurements to the surround so you can determine if a local fiberglas shop can help you restore the surround to its' original design. But first... I think you need to see if an original (replacement) toilet model is available. If not, you may want to re-design the bathroom to allow a different toilet in the area and see if the sides of the surround/tub can be re-designed/repaired. It may not be an original looking bathroom but functional works too! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote