Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

1966 17' Caravel
Tallahassee , Florida
Help with a 66 Caravel

We're trying to save an otherwise nice little Caravel. There is a crack about half way around the Thetford valve that connects to the black water tank. I want to remove the tank in order to repair/replace, but can't figure out how to get the toilet out. I can see bolts, but one is completely unreachable without removing the shroud to the right side of the attached pics. Need some help before the sawsall comes out.

The nice blue paint job is, I'm told, Rustoleum. The previous owner probably did it to cover the bright yellow that was an earlier job. A complete re-build of the BR is not out of the question. All help is appreciated.

Dick Stephens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	77088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet4.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	77089  

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Just wondering, have you tried to take the toilet apart to get at the bolts ?

I had a heck of a time with my original black tank. I would be more willing to cut the tank than the shower-pan. I also know someone who cut up their toilet to get it out. The shower-pan is unique and I would avoid cutting it up.

The original color was closer to a light almond. At least in my 65 caravel anyway.

I would be willing to bet that there is more than one crack in your tank. Mine had 11 cracks in it if I remember correctly. If possible, you should think about having a new one made.

I suggest buying a new commode too. That one in the pics looks uncomfortable.

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
try this

Hi,
Your toilet is not original...I do not recognize the make. If you can get thre toilet apart you can get it off the flange. This thread should help with that info.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f137...day-22840.html
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I would get a new commode. The one you have looks like the re-circulating type. Not nice. Also, it doesn't fit flat on the floor due to the slanted area forward of the commode.

Another thing, many commodes are too hogh to be comfortable to sit on in that installation due to the fact that where the commode mounts is about six inches higher than the floor. I got a short one for our Caravel, and was able to trim the base so that it sits flat. It is a Thetford, but I don't know the model number. Bought it in Quartzsite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2243075640.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	77098   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2273086640.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	77099  

Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Another thing, many commodes are too high to be comfortable to sit on in that installation due to the fact that where the commode mounts is about six inches higher than the floor. I got a short one for our Caravel, and was able to trim the base so that it sits flat. It is a Thetford, but I don't know the model number. Bought it in Quartzsite.

I agree, ours had a regular toilet and it was uncomfortable to sit on, we replaced it with a shorty and I have been much happier with it

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Kansas City , Kansas
Toilet repair

I agree. If your toilet is original they offered more than one type of fixture in the 66 caravels. Mine was nothing like yours, which I just replaced with a Sealand Travel Lite low profile. Very nice and it was an easy replacement. I purchased it from Vintage Trailer Supply.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Toilet trouble

I just took my whole bathroom out yesterday with the black tank still attached because I couldn't get the toilet off of it. I'm going to cut toilet and the black tank off today, I'm planning to do a total resto anyway so installing a new Sealand Travel Lite and black tank was part of the plan.

Thanks for the "low down" on the low profile toilet, I think I'll go that route.

Chris, if I recall correctly, didn't you have a black tank made larger for your Caravel?
Could you recommend a place that I could have that done?

Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T-4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	77111   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	77112  

Name:	T-3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	77113   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	77114  

Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's interesting to see the bathroom shell removed. I wasn't brave enough to go that far back on my resto - and my investigations convinced me it wasn't necessary at the time. How hard was it to get it out of there?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I just took my whole bathroom out yesterday with the black tank still attached because I couldn't get the toilet off of it. I'm going to cut toilet and the black tank off today, I'm planning to do a total resto anyway so installing a new Sealand Travel Lite and black tank was part of the plan.

Thanks for the "low down" on the low profile toilet, I think I'll go that route.

Chris, if I recall correctly, didn't you have a black tank made larger for your Caravel?
Could you recommend a place that I could have that done?

Thanks, Dan
That sure looks familiar. That was about the time I thought "what have I done now".

I went under the shower pan and cut the flange off the tank to separate them.

Yes, I did have a larger black tank made. The new one is 11 gallons. It goes to the front edge of the closet. When I had the new tank made I gave them the old one to measure from. I didn't have time or the want to modify anything. I wanted to put the new one in and start reassembly.

I am not sure where you can get a new one made. Check around in your local area. I had a local company do it for me here. My new tank is made out of polyethylene. It was either that or stainless.

I have never regretted retaining the bathroom/shower combo in my trailer. I use the shower nearly everytime I go camping.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
black tank reinstall

I removed the entire bathroom from a 65 Safari. The tank sits on a styrofoam bed. It is totally waterlogged and had to be pitched.What can I use as a replacement? I was thinking expanding foam but then the tank would become one with the pan and not be adjustable??????
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Quote:
It's interesting to see the bathroom shell removed. I wasn't brave enough to go that far back on my resto - and my investigations convinced me it wasn't necessary at the time. How hard was it to get it out of there?
Removing the bathroom wasn't that tough. I figured as long as I gutted everything else I may as well go all the way and take out both the upper and lower bathroom fiberglass. Taking the upper out allowed me to tap out a few dings in the skin from the inside.

Dan
Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
I removed the entire bathroom from a 65 Safari. The tank sits on a styrofoam bed. It is totally waterlogged and had to be pitched.What can I use as a replacement? I was thinking expanding foam but then the tank would become one with the pan and not be adjustable??????
Why would you need anything under the tank ? Mine sits directly on the floor.

Also why would you need it to be adjustable ?

Just curiuos.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
New Tank

I broke the tank in our Caravel when the valve on the bottom impacted an old oilfield fitting. I removed the old tank through the street-side closet. Unable to find a replacement I took the old tank to Inland RV. A few weeks later I had a new tank which appears to be made out of fiberglass or some other very sturdy material. I'm pretty sure that they used the old tank to design and make the replacement. It would be pretty surprising if they do not have ready access to get more of those tanks. The new tank is the same size and capacity as the original, however it does not have the same cracks and damage...

Tom

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
The tank sits in a pan that has straps to hang it from the first framing cross member, then I assume to push it up to the floor and re-bolt it.When I removed it I was able to move the tank around on its styrofoam bed and I figure that would help in re-aligning it for the vent and waste hole when reinstalling.

Tags
caravel