Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
HELP - Removing Toilet Flange

Trying to remove my toilet flange ('87 Sovereign) and I seem to be running up against a problem - I can't get it to unscrewed from the black water tank (assuming it unscrews). I removed the 6-8 screws that hold it to the floor but that's as far as I can get. Seems like I need more leverage to get it to turn or maybe Airstream used some type of pipe thread compound when they put it together and it's locked.

Questions:

1. Does flange really screw into black water tank?

2. Ideas for fabricating a tool to get more turning leverage on flange?

Thank you,
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The flange is screw in and it is tight. I used a couple of phillips screwdrivers in the slots and a bar. If that doesn't work get a strap wrench.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
The funnel like unit is screwed into the black water tank and is in the normal direction.
If it is difficult to remove get a strap wrench and use it. It should come out turning it counter clock wise.
On putting it back I would apply some white grease, and it should work more easily.

Rae Baker
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I soaked mine with silicon spray. Then I tool a piece of 1/8" flat bar and ground a slot in it that would span the throat of the plastic screw in piece. Stuck it in the slots on the plstic piece and unscrewed it

Used the same tool to reinstall it. Applied plumbers grease on the threads first so it will come off easier in the future.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thank You!

Once again the Airstream Forum has saved my a@#. I got the flange removed using lots of elbow grease and a box end wrench (thank you GunnyUSMC). What I did, thanks to Don, AKA GunnyUSMC, was lay the box end wrench over the top of the flange with the box end over one bolt and the other end against the other bolt. I then proceeded to use it like a handle and torqued the heck out of it. When I got it removed I saw why it was such a chore. They (assuming the factory) used some type of thread or plumbers sealant that really locked the threads together. Guess this probably also insured against leaks.

Now that I know I can remove the flange I am set to order my SeaLand Traveler toilet with the assurance that I will be able to mount whatever kind of flange it requires. I'm going to be sure and order the SeaLand universal mounting kit to insure I've got all bases covered.

Thank you all,
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote