Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Help Me. Toilet Trouble

64 Overlander International. Original Swirl-O-matic.

I don't think it's completely original from the other posts I've seen. First, I have a Thetford valve running into a cast elbow, ending in a Valtera right behind my rear bumper. The line runs through my storage area in the bumper. It's actually kind of a handy way to do it. The interesting part is the elbow appears to be stamped "Airstream".

Anyway, my swirl had a crack in the plastic just inside the box. I don't believe it's repairable without doing a lot of plastic welding and some lathe work. The crack isn't showing, just a hole in the casing above the lever. When I pulled the piece out, a pile of white dust fell out. I believe the casting just disintegrated. Is it a cast aluminum part and that's pure aluminum oxide?

Even if I can fix it though, I don't think that a wax seal is the right setup for a RV toilet. The oak boards seem a bit odd too. I don't think that's a very water tight option if the black was full of liquid. My understanding was that the black tank should be a water tight system.

Can you guys help me understand the adulteration here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4996.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	188491   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4998.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	188492  

Name:	CIMG4997.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	188493   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4997-001.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	188494  

robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I think I'm out of luck in repairing this. Even if I were to manufacture the plastic, and get the elbow with the o ring to line up, the pot metal has completely disintegrated. Who uses water soluble metal in a toilet anyway????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG5001.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	188528  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'd replace it all with new ABS or PVC. You can get a new toilet flange for an RV from many places. Vintage Trailer Supply is one: Toilets & Floor Flanges

If you want to connect a new ABS or PVC elbow to the existing plumbing, you can use a street elbow and a rubber coupler. In case you don't know what I mean, home Depot has them: Fernco - Pipes, Fittings & Valves - Plumbing*at The Home Depot

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks. Actually, so far, the elbow is fine. I just put that in as a matter of interest. I'll replace it when I have to.

It's the swirl o matic that is the issue. The parts there are all too far gone. The current toilet flange looks like it is ABS. Unfortunately, it looks like one side may have been over-torqued. It's glued in somehow into the tank. Not sure how that might have been done. I'm pretty familiar with regular toilets and flanges, but not RV ones. They seal RVs with a rubber doughnut compression ring. Not sure about how the current flange will work. They used a wax seal when they were apparently trying to stop the leaks (and used a bunch of wax to coat the broken plastic inside the unit in a very cheezy attempt to stop a leak.