Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Help isolating leak

Water slowly dripping from near the grey tank outlet/pan after using the shower. Small crack in shower pan, but mfg doubts it's the source. How to isolate whether the leak is from: tiny crack in shower pan, caulk around drain, caulk where two halves of shower enclosure connect, water feeds in wall for shower, etc? Any help very much appreciated.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You have the same basic model trailer we do. You can access the area under/around the shower pan from the doors under the wardrobe to the left of the shower and also via the heat vent in the bedroom (same wall as the shower.) Using a mirror on an extension and a flashlight you can poke around in that area to see if you can find the source of the leak. See the link below for an example of the mirror I am suggesting you use.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/SE-8014TM-Hand...rror+extension
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Any chance you could tape the shower drain shut and then put a couple of inches of water in the shower pan. Come back in the morning and see if the water is still in the pan. It might select or eliminate the crack in the shower pan as a leak source. I believe a crack in a shower pan is very repairable.

I replaced my gray water tank dump valve a couple of years ago. During this process i disturbed the shower drain connection to the gray tank. I had water dripping from the area you mentioned, although it was quite a bit of leakage, not a drip.

I was able to reconnect the drain pipe to the gray water tank and then tighten the hose clamp around the pipe. I had enough access through the heat register which was mounted below the step over to the shower pan. It was like working on a ship in a bottle, but I was able to get it tight and stop the leak. Whew!

My bath sink also drains into the gray tank from this same drain pipe system as the shower. Maybe you could try running just the bath faucet and see if you get any dripping on the outside. That might indicate the leak is at the connection to the gray tank, not just from the shower.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for your ideas. Put duct tape over the tiny crack in the shower floor, and it leaked. I have looked at the area under and around the shower through the access door under the closet, the access panel to the shower control, and the heat vent in the bedroom and can see no signs of water. I duct taped over the drain, and let it sit..there was no sign of the leak. Removed the tape, took a shower, and it leaked.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I wonder if the lines to the shower valve or the shower head might be leaking. Turn your shower on "warm" blending both hot and cold water, grab the flash light and start looking for drips. The leak may not be in the shower pan or drain line, but maybe in the shower valve somehow.

It didn't leak with a pan full of water. But it does leak when you run the shower.

David
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
I removed the access door in the closet and saw no sign of any leaks on the valve or the supply lines.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Try looking for leaks under/around the interior trim pieces at the valve and hose fittings. Or cover them with a plastic bag and masking tape and take a shower.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Try looking for leaks under/around the interior trim pieces at the valve and hose fittings. Or cover them with a plastic bag and masking tape and take a shower.
Do you mean the chrome pieces inside the shower?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Every one loves a mystery! Who done it? Maybe you can offer a reward for the person who finds your leak source. A new Airstream Classic would do nicely.

Ok, what do we know so far? Water drips from the gray tank cover under the trailer when running the shower. There is no water found on the subfloor under the shower pan or water dripping from the trap or drain pipes. There is no water dripping from the water supply lines to the shower valve or shower head.

The shower pan holds water, it is not leaking. The small crack in the shower pan does not penetrate and is not leaking.

There is no leak outside when running the water from the bathroom sink faucet, either hot, cold or both.

I wonder if you have the gray water tank valve open or shut when running the shower?

I presume the leak is apparent when the shower is running but no one is standing in the shower pan.

I assume the leak is apparent if just the cold water is flowing, or just the hot water if flowing from the shower valve.

I assume there is no leak when any other faucet is running and draining into the gray tank. Only the shower is causing the problem.

Maybe you can disconnect the shower head from the flex hose and hold the flex hose outlet right into the shower drain so no water splashes into the shower pan or surrounding caulked joints. It it leaks outside, you know it ain't the shower pan or shower stall joints.

Maybe you can then run the flex hose into the bath sink or toilet. Run the shower but drain the water through the bath sink, or even better into the black tank. The thought is there would be no leaking observed outside. Thus the leak must be in the shower drain piping.

I don't have a newer trailer. But I have read of folks having trouble with some kind of back flow preventer and or vacuum breaker in the black water tanks rinse plumbing. It leaks, and causes water to drip from the gray water pan. However, I think these components are mounted above the subfloor. However, the symptom from these components leaking is the one you are observing. Water leaking from the holding tank cover.

Any chance your trailer was subjected to freezing temps with water in the system?

We'll find it. We just need some more experiments to narrow in on the cause of the leak.

David
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Every one loves a mystery! Who done it? Maybe you can offer a reward for the person who finds your leak source. A new Airstream Classic would do nicely.

Ok, what do we know so far? Water drips from the gray tank cover under the trailer when running the shower. There is no water found on the subfloor under the shower pan or water dripping from the trap or drain pipes. There is no water dripping from the water supply lines to the shower valve or shower head.

The shower pan holds water, it is not leaking. The small crack in the shower pan does not penetrate and is not leaking.

There is no leak outside when running the water from the bathroom sink faucet, either hot, cold or both.

I wonder if you have the gray water tank valve open or shut when running the shower?

I presume the leak is apparent when the shower is running but no one is standing in the shower pan.

I assume the leak is apparent if just the cold water is flowing, or just the hot water if flowing from the shower valve.

I assume there is no leak when any other faucet is running and draining into the gray tank. Only the shower is causing the problem.

Maybe you can disconnect the shower head from the flex hose and hold the flex hose outlet right into the shower drain so no water splashes into the shower pan or surrounding caulked joints. It it leaks outside, you know it ain't the shower pan or shower stall joints.

Maybe you can then run the flex hose into the bath sink or toilet. Run the shower but drain the water through the bath sink, or even better into the black tank. The thought is there would be no leaking observed outside. Thus the leak must be in the shower drain piping.

I don't have a newer trailer. But I have read of folks having trouble with some kind of back flow preventer and or vacuum breaker in the black water tanks rinse plumbing. It leaks, and causes water to drip from the gray water pan. However, I think these components are mounted above the subfloor. However, the symptom from these components leaking is the one you are observing. Water leaking from the holding tank cover.

Any chance your trailer was subjected to freezing temps with water in the system?

We'll find it. We just need some more experiments to narrow in on the cause of the leak.

David

Some mysteries are more fun than others, but I appreciate your logical approach, which is exactly what this mystery calls for.

Makes no difference whether the grey valve is open or closed. Leaks whether anyone is in the shower or not. Cold/Hot no diff. Only after using the shower does it leak. FYI: it takes a few minutes for the leaking to start, and it is one drop at a time...quite slow. Always fully winterized with the red stuff way prior to being subjected to freezing temps. The backflow preventer for the black tank flush would require a hose be hooked up to the tank flush and be pressurized...leaks when no hose is hooked up.

I will try your idea about running water directly down the drain and keeping everything else dry. Good idea.

Unfortunately, I am going out of town on a motorcycle trip until Monday the 16th and will have to pick this up once I return. Hopefully folks will not lose interest as this thread goes dormant for a week.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Yes, the chrome trim pieces inside the shower. Mine had crumbly foam gaskets under them that no longer were keeping water out. When showering, water splashes on the wall, runs down onto these trim pieces, and in my case came out under the shower pan. You can cover them during a shower and see if your leak goes away.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Is there a schematic, or diagram, of the plumbing system for a 27FB?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
How about the drain flange on the floor. It can get loose and/or the gasket material can go bad. May only leak when your weight is on the shower floor. It can push the floor way from the drain flange just a smidge. No weight on shower floor...no leak. Should be able to tighten the top flange with small tool that will fit into the drain. Try that or the nut underneath shower. Maybe new gasket .
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote