Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
City , Florida
Has anyone removed/repaired/replaced a shower pan?

I'm refurbishing a 1982 31ft Excella. The bathroom is between the kitchen and bedroom. The ABS shower pan is cracked and has been caulked. Please see the photos herewith.

Ideally I'd like to replace the shower pan with a new one. However, if a new one can't be found or its purchase will bankrupt me I'll opt for removing the existing one to make a proper repair from the underside, strengthen it and refinish the surface. So:

1) Has anyone ever removed a this or a similar shower pan? If so I'd really appreciate some advice on how to do it.

2) Are new shower pans available and if so from whom?

Thanks in advance,

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1272.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	209464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1273.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	209465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1275.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	209466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1276.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	209467  

Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You should be able to find many descriptions of members who have rehabilitated shower pans and bathrooms on the forums with a little searching. In general, though, removing the shower pan usually requires disassembling a lot of other bathroom components, which can be laborious (ie., the shower "walls" and trim may need to come out, at the least). So, its worth a try to repair the pan in place with plastic welding, gels, fiberglass, etc.. If you can fix your cracks, and smooth the repaired area, it isn't a big deal to "resurface" the pan with the paint-on stuff you can buy at the big box stores. The pan is likely made of ABS, so do your homework in terms of finding a product to stick to it, as not everything does.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFUser View Post
I'm refurbishing a 1982 31ft Excella. The bathroom is between the kitchen and bedroom. The ABS shower pan is cracked and has been caulked. Please see the photos herewith.

Ideally I'd like to replace the shower pan with a new one. However, if a new one can't be found or its purchase will bankrupt me I'll opt for removing the existing one to make a proper repair from the underside, strengthen it and refinish the surface. So:

1) Has anyone ever removed a this or a similar shower pan? If so I'd really appreciate some advice on how to do it.

2) Are new shower pans available and if so from whom?

Thanks in advance,

Norm
A fiberglass replacement is available.

Andy
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
City , Florida
Thanks Belegedhel. Actually I have researched the forum several times and whilst there are a number of threads on the actual repairs methods of cracks none I saw mentioned if and how they removed the pan.

Thanks again,

Norm.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, I don't have first hand experience with the 80's vintage trailers, but what I have seen suggests they are put together similarly to the 70's (which I have disassembled). If you are feeling adventurous, try starting by pulling off that goldish trim where the pan meets the wall. You will then be able to see if the shower walls overlap the pan, or if the pan butts up against it. The pan in my 70's vintage trailer was overlapped by the shower walls, so I had to disassemble a lot of the bathroom in order to remove the pan. In fact, the pan was the very last thing that I took out. Yours may not be so bad, since the "seat" and the pan are one continuous piece. The pan will be riveted to the walls with pop rivets, which can usually be drilled out with a 1/8" drill. If you don't see any rivets after removing the trim, then the rivets are hidden between the shower walls. If you get to the point of having it out and want to replace it, I think I have seen this vintage of shower pan in Outofdoorsmart.com's online catalog.

good luck!