Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Snowmass Village , Colorado
Exclamation Hand Pump Galley Faucet help!

Looking for anyone who's had any luck with hand pump galley sink faucets. I have tried 3 different models (2 Whale and 1 Rocket). Both the Whale pumps developed leaks after months of use, and the Rocket pump leaked on the first use right after installation. I've put numerous holes in my lovely butcher block counter and am very frustrated at this point.

Can anyone out there recommend a hand pump style sink faucet?

(also, fyi, I don't have a holding tank or water pump so I'm committed to using some sort of manual pump faucet)
ecasebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Maybe this hand pump is for your 68 Overlander? It used to have a fresh water tank, 12v pump and a line to the sink faucet. Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to rig a fresh water system up in your trailer.

Our 58 Shasta had a hand pump. I can remember Mother frustrated with it so many years ago.

Here is a hand pump that Vintage Trailer carries. Maybe you have already drilled a hole for this one?

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-699.htm

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecasebeer View Post
(also, fyi, I don't have a holding tank or water pump so I'm committed to using some sort of manual pump faucet)
OK, I'm a little puzzled here. If you don't have a freshwater tank, where does the water for the hand pump come from?

Your 1968 trailer originally had a freshwater tank and either a water pump or an air-pressurized water system. (Our 1960 Pacer had an air-pressurized water system and our 1980 Caravelle has a non-pressurized freshwater tank and an electric water pump. Both systems worked fine.)

To each his own, but if I were in your situation I think I would be looking to replace the original freshwater tank and pump, so you could use a plain old faucet.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Snowmass Village , Colorado
Thanks for both the replies . . . you are both correct in thinking that my '68 Overlander would have had a freshwater holding tank and water pump. When I purchased my trailer they had both been removed. I chose not to replace them because I live in in my trailer full time in the Rocky Mountains and it would be damn near impossible to keep long water lines and a big tank from freezing in the middle of the winter. Especially if I put the freshwater tank back under the sofa . . . that's a super cold spot in the winter.

In my re-model I chose to put a 6gal freshwater container directly under my sink and use a hand pump faucet. This way I only have one short water line and no pump to worry about running dry or freezing, and I gain a lot of storage space under the sofa. The simplicity is great, but the downside is that I have not found a hand pump faucet that isn't all plastic and leaks.

I tried the same model you can get from Vintage Trailer Supply. That's the one that leaked strait out of the box.
ecasebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you considered getting a marine foot-pedal pump? Not sure if this would work in your setup, but in the old days they were standard issue on many cruising sailboats. Very handy to have both hands free, and very precise discharge amounts to conserve water.

Here are a few from West Marine, Amazon etc.:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/whale-...22?recordNum=1
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/whale-...95?recordNum=5
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Manual.../dp/B00F1J2UZS
http://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/pro...-foot-operated

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- FYI:

https://www.youtube[dot]com/watch?v=1ESAAraacW0
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I second OTRA15's foot pump solution. I used one on a sailboat for years. Hands free operation, reliable, simple.
BayRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I had an old wood sailboat with hand water pumps in its galley. They were Perko pumps, but maybe Perko is no more. I did a Google search for marine galley hand water pumps & found lots of them, at quite a range in price. Good luck with your search.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I didn't realize your Overlander is a mountain home. Your "totally inside" solution makes sense. You can heat the inside, but not the top of the mountain. Maybe one of those marine pumps would work.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote