Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Fixture replacement

I need a new shower faucet/valve, what can i replace it with? Also the kitchen sink faucet is original & needs replacing.

73' AS Ambassador

Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If they just leak, you can simply replace the cartridges. They are still available from Moen.
If they are broken, or the cartridges are seized in place, you may need to replace the fixture. That is another can of worms.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If they just leak, you can simply replace the cartridges. They are still available from Moen.
If they are broken, or the cartridges are seized in place, you may need to replace the fixture. That is another can of worms.
I replaced my with house fixtures. Better quality and better looking

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
RR4 Marmora , Ontario
fixtures

The biggest problem with replacing trailer fixtures with house fixtures is if the house fixtures are push ups and they require a certain pressure for operation is remember your trailer pressure should be below 30 psi, most houses are between 40 and 60 psi. Twist fittings are not a problem it's the Fancy ones you might have issue with.
Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The plumbing your AS is not the same as standard house copper. My kitchen faucet was soldered in to the AS waterlines and I was not able to find a fitting that would connect a house faucet to the AS plubing. I ended up replacing all of the copper with PEX because of some split pipes and inorder to make parts available. other than the waterpump every part of my plumbing is available at any hardware store.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWind View Post
The biggest problem with replacing trailer fixtures with house fixtures is if the house fixtures are push ups and they require a certain pressure for operation is remember your trailer pressure should be below 30 psi, most houses are between 40 and 60 psi. Twist fittings are not a problem it's the Fancy ones you might have issue with.
Steve
Not sure what you mean by "push ups" I have all my fixtures house fixtures and have never had a problem. Both bathroom and kitchen faucets and shower.. They all work great, and look nice instead of cheap old plastic.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
RR4 Marmora , Ontario
Fixtures

Push ups being the joystick type, you push the main handle up and the pressure holds it in place until you pull it down. They are being phased out with lower pressures in houses these days but if you buy old stock you need to be careful.
Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWind
Push ups being the joystick type, you push the main handle up and the pressure holds it in place until you pull it down. They are being phased out with lower pressures in houses these days but if you buy old stock you need to be careful.
Steve
I have one in the AS kitchen like that. Must be new stock works fine for me but that's good information to know. Thanks.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
kirkland , Washington
We got our bathroom sink and shower faucets at camping world and they match perfectly in our 74 tradewind. We got our kitchen faucet at ikea. If you look at my posts there should be some photos that you could check out if you like.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
The plumbing your AS is not the same as standard house copper. My kitchen faucet was soldered in to the AS waterlines and I was not able to find a fitting that would connect a house faucet to the AS plubing. I ended up replacing all of the copper with PEX because of some split pipes and inorder to make parts available. other than the waterpump every part of my plumbing is available at any hardware store.
The copper in all Airstreams is standard size and the same as household copper. What you probably experienced was copper pipe which had been frozen at some point. That had expanded the diameter and made attaching new fittings to it virtually impossible. It is a real problem for hardware and plumbing supply stores to convince the person bringing in a pipe to connect that it used to be smaller, but has expanded due to freezing. I have a friend who is an ACE hardware store owner, and the poor guy runs into this all the time. The customer is positive that there is some fitting that they don't carry which will solve the problem. The first time it happened to me, I about went nuts but finally someone convinced me what had happened, and then I understood.

You are correct though, replacing the copper with PEX is a good move. I recycled all the copper in one of my Argosy's and got $50 for the scrap. That paid for part of the re plumb job.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The copper in all Airstreams is standard size and the same as household copper. What you probably experienced was copper pipe which had been frozen at some point. That had expanded the diameter and made attaching new fittings to it virtually impossible. It is a real problem for hardware and plumbing supply stores to convince the person bringing in a pipe to connect that it used to be smaller, but has expanded due to freezing. I have a friend who is an ACE hardware store owner, and the poor guy runs into this all the time. The customer is positive that there is some fitting that they don't carry which will solve the problem. The first time it happened to me, I about went nuts but finally someone convinced me what had happened, and then I understood.

You are correct though, replacing the copper with PEX is a good move. I recycled all the copper in one of my Argosy's and got $50 for the scrap. That paid for part of the re plumb job.

The copper in my Safari was not 1/2" rigid Copper like in a house, it was 1/2 and 3/8 soft copper tubing like for refrigeration use, and most of the connections were flare fittings.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
The copper in my Safari was not 1/2" rigid Copper like in a house, it was 1/2 and 3/8 soft copper tubing like for refrigeration use, and most of the connections were flare fittings.
All the copper in my Argosy was 1/2" with flare fittings, and they match the diameter of current 1/2" from HD and Lowes.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I just replaced my kitchen faucet, and I used a regular house-type faucet. I used SharkBite fittings on the 1/4" hot and 3/8" cold copper lines.

The worst problem I had was getting the old faucet out - I had to cut the lower retaining nut off in chunks with a Dremel tool.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #14

2009 28' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
My bathroom faucet does not turn off after an overnight freeze. Can I replace internal parts of the moen faucet or must replace the whole thing? Where do I get parts?