Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
Question Falling Shower door

We have a problem with the shower door jumping off the hinge plates.
When traveling on the wonderful patched roads of our state and various
campgrounds, sometimes we enter the trailer to find the shower door laying on the bathroom area floor. Looking at the attached photos, you can see that it is not held on by very much. Just a lip on a small piece of plastic.
The steel pin inside the plastic is an odd size: approx. 0.170", so a longer
3/16 pin will not work.

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy solution? Would replacing
the plastic solve it? The lip that holds it to the plate with the hole is
very short. It would be nice if the center pin had a tapped hole down the
center, but it appears to be hardened, so modifying it is out.

Even if the plastic is replaced, I don't see how this is a good solution.
Is there an "upgrade" design for this hinge?

This is in our 96 Excella, mid-bath.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower door 001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	63279   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower door 002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	63280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower door 009.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	63281  
__________________

__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Maybe a piece of aluminum channel with a 6 mm pin will do the trick.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17 View Post
We have a problem with the shower door jumping off the hinge plates.
When traveling on the wonderful patched roads of our state and various
campgrounds, sometimes we enter the trailer to find the shower door laying on the bathroom area floor. Looking at the attached photos, you can see that it is not held on by very much. Just a lip on a small piece of plastic.
The steel pin inside the plastic is an odd size: approx. 0.170", so a longer
3/16 pin will not work.

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy solution? Would replacing
the plastic solve it? The lip that holds it to the plate with the hole is
very short. It would be nice if the center pin had a tapped hole down the
center, but it appears to be hardened, so modifying it is out.

Even if the plastic is replaced, I don't see how this is a good solution.
Is there an "upgrade" design for this hinge?

This is in our 96 Excella, mid-bath.
Thanks for any help.
You may have bad axles, if so, they can easily cause your problem, when the trailer bottoms out.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
Terry,
I am not sure where you would install the 6mm pin and the channel.

Andy,
The axles seem to be ok, with a reasonable down angle. The problem only happens
when we go over a really nasty pothole, poorly installed road patch, or a sneaky hump
in the road that sets the whole trailer to rockin. Have you run into problems with this
door hinge design? Maybe just bending the plate to squeeze the plastic a little more
might help. It would be nice if the boss on the top of the plastic piece was an eighth
of an inch taller, that would keep it from sliding out when the whole trailer flexes.
Is the plastic piece a common part available by itself?

Thanks for the responses.
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
******BUMP*****

Anyone else have any ideas?
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17 View Post
Terry,
I am not sure where you would install the 6mm pin and the channel.
I was thinking about a 1 inch piece of aluminum "angle iron", mounted on the wall, with one flat part directly over the hinge area, like an inverted capital "L". Drill a hole in the part that will be over the door, and insert the pin where the hinge is. Of course, if you do this, you may not even need the pin, just drill the hole in the angle, and insert the hinge.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Beneath the title
 
jnerges's Avatar
 
2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 307
Images: 6
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks

We have the same problem in our 05. Thanks for bringing this up. I think the design needs some help. I look forward to the solutions.


John
__________________


Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I was thinking about a 1 inch piece of aluminum "angle iron", mounted on the wall, with one flat part directly over the hinge area, like an inverted capital "L". Drill a hole in the part that will be over the door, and insert the pin where the hinge is. Of course, if you do this, you may not even need the pin, just drill the hole in the angle, and insert the hinge.
Let me see if I get this right:
Wouldn't you need to attach the angle aluminum to the door? Then remove the cast zinc block with the small pin and drop the large pin thru the hole shown in the above photo and a similar sized hole in the angle aluminum? But without any way to keep the pin vertical, the door would wiggle horizontally. Of course if the two aluminum surfaces are rubbing, then the wiggle room would be minimized.
I have not yet measured the hole in the aluminum plate, is it 6mm? If so, my local hardware store may have a tough time filling that order. Hmmmmm....
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
No, you'd attach the angle aluminum to the wall, and let the angle of the aluminum protrude over the hinge area of the door, perpendicular to the floor. Drill a hole in it, and put the hinge pin through the hole you drilled into the door.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
Question I still cannot picture this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
No, you'd attach the angle aluminum to the wall, and let the angle of the aluminum protrude over the hinge area of the door, perpendicular to the floor. Drill a hole in it, and put the hinge pin through the hole you drilled into the door.
Ok, call me dense, but I'm afraid I'll need a sketch. Where do you drill the hole in the door?
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17 View Post
Ok, call me dense, but I'm afraid I'll need a sketch. Where do you drill the hole in the door?
You shouldn't have to drill a hole in the door, use the spot for the hinge pin that's already there. If it's threaded, so much the better. Just get a bolt with the proper threads on it, and screw it down into the door through the angle aluminum.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Mikethefixit's Avatar
 
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,153
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Stephn
Shhhhhhhh I think I know what the problem with that bathroom door is. Shhhhhhhhh I think its the driver. DON'T tell Dave I said that.IT Could never be wonderful Michigan roads,
Dave we had something like that happen the last time we were out. We have bad Axles ya know. The rough ride Sheared all the rivets out of the frame of a large mirror on the back of the bathroom door. ITs about 12"x5.5 ft. tall.
I could not figure why I could not close the door, I found the corner of the mirror diggin in the carpet. MaryLou found what was left of the rivets laying in the carpet, thats what got me to lookin.
So thats the reason we are grounded till our axles come. U will figure a solution to the problem and I wanna see In August when we see ya,providing we get our axles and have them installed by then.
Hope to see U then
Roger
__________________
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
a different design

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You shouldn't have to drill a hole in the door, use the spot for the hinge pin that's already there. If it's threaded, so much the better. Just get a bolt with the proper threads on it, and screw it down into the door through the angle aluminum.
I believe you are thinking of a different design. This door has a zinc block that slides down the channel of the door frame with a headed stainless dowel pin captured inside it. The block is located by a screw that pushes against the inside of the channel to hold it at one place along the extrusion. The dowel pin is the odd size one mentioned in the first post. It sticks out of a hole in the zinc block and has the plastic spacer surrounding it. The plastic piece has a very shallow boss that fits in the aluminum plate with the hole in the first photo.
So the only hole would be the one in the zinc block, at 0.170" diameter. I suppose I could remove the pin, tap some threads in this block, and use a shoulder bolt for a hinge pin. However the block is very narrow and a bolt that fits the aluminum plate would be too big for threading into the zinc block.
Maybe a pull dowel would work, if I got lucky and the OD matched the big hole and the threaded center could be joined to the zinc block with a short set screw. Unfortunately, every pull dowel I have seen is made of rustable steel.
The obvious solution would be to replace the plastic pieces. Maybe a new one would grip the frame better. I was kinda hoping that someone on the forum who is familiar with available parts might know if they are available.
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Stephn
Shhhhhhhh I think I know what the problem with that bathroom door is. Shhhhhhhhh I think its the driver. DON'T tell Dave I said that.IT Could never be wonderful Michigan roads,
Roger
Hey Roger,
Remember the rally in April? Then you know who the driver was.
I'm gonna tell!!!!
You had better watch out at the Metro Detroit Rally!
__________________

__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shower Door robandzoe General Interior Topics 20 06-30-2017 07:38 PM
Shower Curtain or Shower Door for 1972? mello mike Sinks, Showers & Toilets 26 04-02-2017 10:10 PM
Shower door replacement? Coopercat2 Sinks, Showers & Toilets 12 07-15-2009 08:01 PM
Vintage '70s Shower Door and Water Heater Door -- Freebie maccamper General Repair Forum 6 05-15-2009 10:18 AM
'86 Classic Cabinet door centers falling out 6inAK Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 2 09-14-2005 04:16 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.