Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
External shower unit...

I was watching "Extreme RV's" a few days ago, and on one of the segments they showed a cool outside shower unit.
I think it was a chrome/aluminum door with a seperate shower head that plugged in...
Maybe it was on the Global Expedition Vehicle..
Was I dream this, or has anyone seen something like that?
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Airstream Interstates have an external shower, right next to the controls for the built-in macerator pump for emptying the holding tanks. No shower stall, just the shower head, but if you want to strip down for an outside shower, Cabela's offers a portable shower stall that can be set up next to the unit. If you just want to remove beach sand and don't need to strip off a swimsuit before showering, you don't even need that, just a small patio mat to stand on while showering.

Given the location of the external shower fitting, it's mostly useful in case there's a mess (or you made a mess) at the dump station. I've also used the external shower to hose saltwater off my inflatable kayak before deflating it and packing it away. The shower hose isn't long enough to use it for washing the RV, but I may look into getting a LONG shower hose for that purpose in the next year or so, now that I've thought of it.

I already bought an extra shower hose, and modified it so that I could plug it into the black tank flush fitting (the fitting has a check valve) and use hot water from the external shower to flush out my black tank.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I did not see the program you are referring to but in the marine world it is common to have a transom or cockpit shower installed. Here is a link to a good "outside" shower fixture supplier.
Scandvik Marine Inc. - list

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
The Airstream we have has an external shower. I doubt we will ever use it. I suppose it might come in useful to rinse off dirty dogs or sandy feet.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
The Airstream we have has an external shower. I doubt we will ever use it. I suppose it might come in useful to rinse off dirty dogs or sandy feet.
That's what we use it for.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Or dirty grandsons. It's great for that and saves room in the gray water tank.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
That's what we use it for.

My old SOB had one and we used it a lot for feet, pets, and kids. My AS does not have one, but I rigged a hose and cheap hand held shower head to attach to the outside spigot in the "connections" compartment. It's cold water only, but good for the feet and pet thing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for the info so far.
Here is my issue...
We live in Ca... and will be travelling with our dogs... and sometimes with surfing kids.. so an outside shower would be awesome.
Also, sometime in my MH's life the furnaces were replaced and the v exhaust vent was converted from horizontal to vertical... tread ugly mess.
I am gonna make a patch to cleanup that rear furnace exhaust area and thought i could incorporate an external shower. The hot and cold waterpipes are right there!
Makes sense... just need to find a unit that will look nice. A white plastic door is not gonna cut it!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Airstream uses the white plastic unit on the Classic trailers outdoor shower and paints it silver/gray. I think CW has those same units for under $40.00.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
If any one knows where to find a nice aluminum or stainless cover for one I would like to know. I despise the plastic cover!
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok, here is a pic of the area I am thinking on...
This is on the rear street side. The hatch opens into a storage area under the bed, when the fresh water tank/pump is housed.
This is also right above the waste dump valves. Hot and cold water flows right behind the wall there, so tapping into a supply will be easy. I will need to check how much space I have behind the wall there.
As you can see, the furnace was changed and so converted from vertical to horizontal...
I was thinking I would put a patch that covered the area from the storage door, to the line of vertical rivets just forward of the exhaust, and would house the shower unit, and a "D" ring for dog leashing..

My idea was to
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I was thinking I would put a patch that covered the area from the storage door, to the line of vertical rivets just forward of the exhaust, and would house the shower unit, and a "D" ring for dog leashing.
Another thing you might consider, that I wish mine had… A fitting that the shower nozzle can rest in while it's hooked up but you're not using it. My Interstate doesn't have anything like that, so if I want to leave it hooked up at the campsite, I have to just lay the nozzle on the ground.

The same sort of clip used in my Interstate's wet bath to hold the handheld shower nozzle should work to hold the exterior shower nozzle, even though I'd have to mount it below window level, too low to actually shower under it. At least I could keep the nozzle off the ground that way.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Another thing you might consider, that I wish mine had… A fitting that the shower nozzle can rest in while it's hooked up but you're not using it. My Interstate doesn't have anything like that, so if I want to leave it hooked up at the campsite, I have to just lay the nozzle on the ground.

The same sort of clip used in my Interstate's wet bath to hold the handheld shower nozzle should work to hold the exterior shower nozzle, even though I'd have to mount it below window level, too low to actually shower under it. At least I could keep the nozzle off the ground that way.

Great Idea!
Maybe drill out a couple of rivets on the edge of the each window frame and add a fitting that would support a removable bar that would span the two...
Then maybe a fold out arm that would support a shower curtain if needed as well as the shower head...

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
I decided, after my last post, to go a different route, that will work even with the frameless windows on the side of my Interstate: A suction-cup shower head wall mount. It will stick to the glass just as well as it will to the sheet metal, and can be removed when I pack up for the drive home. There's no shortage of choices, some for as little as $5.00 at Walmart.com, though I suspect it might be a matter of "you get what you pay for." I'll start off with a cheap one, and if I like it, I'll stick with it, but if I don't, then I'll start moving up the price scale until I find one I like.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for those links Bruce B..
They look great, but I am concerned about the space I have behind the fixture..

I am sure I saw a unt that the shower head and pipe was seperate and plugged in when you needed it?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I am sure I saw a unt that the shower head and pipe was seperate and plugged in when you needed it?
That's what's on the Interstates. You can order from your friendly Airstream Dealer (check the downloadable Airstream Interstate Parts Book for part numbers).
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We've used a friend's Cabela's shower shelter a number of times -- usually when at public parks without a shower house. And about as many times rangers or park supervisors have directed that we not use it any more. I suspect they are worried about site erosion if they allowed this, but the stronger basis is that gray water is classified as treatable sewage in a large number of jurisdictions. Of course a state park, national park, Corps of Engineers, etc, can establish this as their own policy.

Check Dumping Laws

We've used the outside shower on our Safari without a shelter to wash hair, grill grates or dogs without ever being called on that.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

We've used the outside shower on our Safari without a shelter to wash hair, grill grates or dogs without ever being called on that.

Same with us, many times, never an issue. Especially handy for shampoos and dirty dogs.

We met a couple once with a PleasureWay who said (him) that he regularly showered outside in the national parks. No screen, no shelter, no nuthin,

Maggie
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We met a couple once with a PleasureWay who said (him) that he regularly showered outside in the national parks. No screen, no shelter, no nuthin,
I've done this lots of times after dark, wearing loose swim trunks to keep the bright moon from, uhh, giving me away.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
Outdoor shower

Well before you get to far here’s a picture of my outdoor shower unit. I bought the unit at Amazon for $45.00. I plan to spray paint it gray. The hot water tank is right next to it so plumbing was a breeze. I used shut off valves so when the unit is not in use it won’t have a water supply going to it. It’s great for boondocking. Standing outside naked in the middle of nowhere is AWESOME !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outdoor shower.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	180153  
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote