Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...
1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Experience Replacing Toilet in a '70s era AS

At some point a PO put in a big ol' regular ceramic toilet which isn't working out for us and reserving water.

Was thinking of getting this model, which is ceramic as well, but specifically for RVs.

Dometic High Profile 310 Series Gravity Discharge Toilets - White - Dometic 302310011 - RV Toilets - Camping World

Anyone with experience replacing a toilet have any reservations about that choice?

clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
When I replaced the toilet in my 68 I got a toilet with the pedal on the left side because the bathtub is right up against it on the right hand side. That is the only consideration I can think of. The china bowl is a nice thing to have and easy to clean.

Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
When we replaced the original Thetford Aqua Magic Bravura in our 1980, we opted for one a step up - the Style II because it reminded me more of a residential toilet. I also like the step flush feature. It wasn't difficult to install and we really like the new clean look of a new potty!
Good luck!
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont

Don't buy a DOMETIC. Look for a similar model by THETFORD.

DOMETIC thinks their customers are their distributors. They won't deal with you directly and you could be left hunting for a part for weeks.

THETFORD knows that YOU count. They will send you a part from their warehouse the day you call them.

I have pieces from both manufacters in my waste management system so I give you this advice from experience.
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I installed a Dometic 310 with a plastic bowl. I didn't want the ceramic due to the weight. I have enough weight at the rear of my trailer thanks to the rear bath. I felt the design quality was higher than Thetford's product.

I did have trouble with the plastic pipe thread connection molded to the toilet. It has a protrusion on it that prevents good thread engagement of the standard flex connection hose. I have no idea why there is a protrusion on the plastic threaded inlet. I can say pipe threads molded in plastic aren't the greatest. I'll take brass any day.

The flange seal at the floor seemed good. There was healthy gasket compression as I seated the toilet to the mounting flange. I did not have to use a wax seal.

We'll see how it lasts.

dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Replacing toilet, recommendations

Thetford Bravura toilet in 2004 Classic. The valve seal leaking water from the bowl, replacement parts almost half the cost of total replacement and I would like something a little more comfortable, so looking for advice. I need low profile, want china, elongated seat, not certain about water saver?, quality. Looking at the Thetford Aqua Magic Plus, Sealand 511 Plus, Dometic 320. Current setup is 2 bolt. We are not large people, but the seat configuration on the Bravura is kind of cramping my style. Any opinions/advice as always would be appreciated.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont

Just to repeat my advice from the post above' choose something suitable from THETFORD. The DOMETIC distribution system is the s**ts..
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
I Bought it I Broke it...
1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I did end up going with the Dometic...not sure if that will bite me in the longrun with the opinions here (seem to be a some for and against both Thetford and Dometic).

Installation wasn't a problem and it's working wonderfully. Nice not to use the entire freshwater tank every time we flush.
My family and I have been full-timing via various modes of travel since 2008. Going on two years in our '76 Sovereign.
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
Missoula , Montana
Bolt pattern?

did you have any problem with the bolt pattern's on the new vs the old, my old toilet ( 72' 31' center bath) has a 4 bolt pattern, and all of the new toilets are 2 bolts and not in the same location.

wolf38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 310 has been fine. Same as above...Thetford parts are expensive. Mine started leaking and the parts were more than half the cost of the new taller ceramic bowl Dometic complete unit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote