Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
When I started this thread I didn't think it would be so popular. I sure have learned a lot after getting it started. We will be using ALL of our AS facilities (after we take delivery - hopefully tomorrow!). Brian, thanks for the info on the shower head, Becky saw that and immediately said "We are going to get one of those!". Everyone, thanks for all of the info and the laughs.
Airstreamers are funny people, glad to see your thread has more replies and faster than the last black water tank toilet disaster thread.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We are on our second weekend trip and have discovered a leak. Water is leaking on to the floor from under the inside front corner of the wall. The PO claims to have never used the shower, so I think the drain hose may be leaking or cracked due to lack of use. How do you access the shower plumbing to check and fix?

WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #87
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We are on our second weekend trip and have discovered a leak. Water is leaking on to the floor from under the inside front corner of the wall. The PO claims to have never used the shower, so I think the drain hose may be leaking or cracked due to lack of use. How do you access the shower plumbing to check and fix?
Do you have a two piece shower? If so check the caulk between the two halves. It it likely cracked. Was is seeping in there and making its way to you floor.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Don't shower but try filling the shower pan avoiding the front track or any seams and see if you have a leak. We had several Airstreams that leaked at the shower but all were leaking from the lower shower track and edge. It did appear to come from underneath and yet filling the pan and not splashing water anywhere else did not show any leak. Perhaps some experimentation will help you determine the breach.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
[QUOTE=Scott J-24;987229 Water is leaking on to the floor from under the inside front corner of the wall.

How do you access the shower plumbing to check and fix?[/QUOTE]

Which wall? By "front", do you mean front end of the trailer? Could this be in the bedroom?

One trouble with leaks is the water can travel in strange ways before it shows up where you can see it. Maybe something else is leaking—has it been raining? A leaky roof may not show up for hours after it starts raining. Does the leak increase after you take a shower?

If you look in the large wardrobe, on the right side should be a cover plate. The shower valve and some of the plumbing should be accessible from there. I've seen it in ours, but didn't look very close—it may be nailed on, not screwed on as it should be. You'll have to pry it off very carefully because it may be melamine covered fiberboard and that stuff chips easily.

To get to most of the drain pipe, I believe you have to get in under the trailer, remove the box around the water tanks, and somewhere above the tanks is the shower drain plumbing. This is not something you will want to do, but I think it happens to all of us someday, some sooner than others. However, you can also check to see if the seal between the drain and the shower floor is ok—I don't know how you get it apart from above, but once you do, use plumber's putty on the threads and on the floor where the flange sits—that's if you can get it out.

I believe the two piece shower is what we have—there's a line around the shower just above the seat. It looks like the top part slides into the bottom part. I imagine with a caulk failure, water could seep upwards by capillary action and show up somewhere else, but I would guess you wouldn't get much water that way, but I am guessing. It is good to check the seal though. There could be a hairline crack that is almost impossible to see—when someone is in the shower, the weight on the floor may open it and allow more water in.

With the shower not used for years, seals can dry out. Sometimes using the plumbing will cause the seals to re-seat, but there will be some leaking before they do. That may be the best option—self repairing plumbing.

Good luck. Plumbing is a challenge with many twists and turns; fixing it can drain you. Plumbers are probably worth what they charge, though I have tried to avoid them by fixing it myself—the frustrations may have shortened my life, but I've saved a lot of money.

Gene
Old 05-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Heck ya - just make sure your soap and shampoo won't hurt the ole' black tank....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Don't shower but try filling the shower pan avoiding the front track or any seams and see if you have a leak. We had several Airstreams that leaked at the shower but all were leaking from the lower shower track and edge. It did appear to come from underneath and yet filling the pan and not splashing water anywhere else did not show any leak. Perhaps some experimentation will help you determine the breach.
How did you fix this problem?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Same problem. Took it to the dealer who had to rehang door on shower and caulked EVERYWHERE! Problem solved. this was done 3 years out of warranty without a charge to me.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Me too. Brought it to Airstream in JC and they recaulked. Shower door leaks were common several years back. Try directing the shower spray away from the door until you locate and fix the gap. If it isn't the track being short or unsealed, it may be under a "button" or even a crack or hole in the fiberglass that isn't obvious because of being covered up.

photography
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Question-----How did you use your shower???????????
Turn into a shower leaking problem?????????????
Shouldn't those be 2 seperate threads????
Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well then, the short answer is" yes," we use the shower. The long answer is we use it to wash ourselves and to leak across the Airstream, better?

photography
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
In response to some of the questions asked

Which wall? Forward is toward our TV (and bedroom). The shower is on the port (street) side and bathroom is on the starboard (curb) side. The inside corner is towards the bed and the center hallway. The water appears to be running from this corner to the middle aft (foot) of the bed. On the 27’ FB runs fore and aft, not athwart ship (port-to-starboard).

Has it been raining? We haven't had any rain, and the water appears immediately following a shower.

A 'self fixing' plumbing problem would be a good thing, so maybe after some additional use, the gaskets will re-set and re-seal. However, after reading some of the other responses, I do like the idea that the leak maybe coming from the shower door and just appearing to be coming from under the inside corner wall. I will also try filling up the shower pan and let it sit and check for leaks. Then pull the drain plug and see if the leak appears. If both of these tests are negative, then the leak may be coming from the shower door. Our biggest concern would be mold forming in the insulation or the floor boards rotting from retained moisture. The A/S is back in storage with another trip coming up in 2 weeks. Will check all of this out then and let you know what we find out.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #97
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Just because it could

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Question-----How did you use your shower???????????
Turn into a shower leaking problem?????????????
Shouldn't those be 2 seperate threads????
There are a couple reasons it took a slight turn

!. the originator of the thread wished to use his thread to ask a question he felt was related.

2. Threads on this forum have a way of morphing.

If you spend your time trying to figure out why, you will wear yourself out.

Regards,

Ken

P.S. We had to reseal the gasket at the base of the shower door when trailer was new. Water was running all over bathroom door.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found this very interesting thread and thought I would comment. One of the reasons I bought my Airstream was because I got tired of putting and taking down tents, sleeping on the ground, cooking in the rain and having to find the rest room/shower house to use it. One of the first things I got working on when I brought her home was a leaking showing head. Put in a couple of new gaskets in the hot/cold valves and problem fixed. I fully intend on using all the appliances on board in the years to come including the shower. Still need to get the hot water heater working properly, it is being difficult to light but everything else works just as it was intended by the manufactures.