Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Tamaroak

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Divert greywater to toilet

Why not put in a “Y” valve at the sink drain to capture that water for use in the toilet? This would save freshwater and put more water in black water and less in grey water
Tamaroak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Haven't figured that one out, but we do use a separate dish tub for soapy water and pour that down the toilet when finished. It helps divert a few gallons each day.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Gotta be a back flow/venting problem I’m sure....imagine a waft of blank tank stank invading your kitchen while doing a dish....

FL Crackers has it right - we do the same - soapy dish water in a dish tub makes it to the black tank as does a shower bucket that catches all the cold water while the hot is making its way out and frankly can be in the shower while taking a shower so even if only a couple gallons makes it in the bucket, it’s great for the black tank.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Back before I had the much-thirstier macerating toilet, I made a point to do the dish-tub trick, and to keep a bucket in the shower that captured part of the shower water and used that for flushes, etc. Now, the black fills at almost the same rate as the gray because the macerator toilet uses WAY more water per flush than the gravity toilets. If you have a gravity toilet (probably 98% + of Airstream/Argosy trailers?) it's definitely worth the effort for extended boondocking.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
What are you trying to accomplish? Extend boondocking stays? Capture sink water into what? Then pour it or add a pump and replumb and deliver to toilet under pressure. You would have to keep food particles out of that water I am thinking.
WW
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I’ve always though it would be handy to have a simple way to open a value or press a button to allow the transfer of SOME water from the grey tank to the black tank when bookdocking and the grey is getting full. I have one of these gate valves that I COULD use to equalize the two at the output end but it would result in some co-mingling of black into grey which I’m not crazy about.

Any ideas?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote