Old 04-15-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Delta Faucet instead of the old Moen okay?

Hey, I de-winterized the old girl this weekend and found that the "o" rings on the kitchen faucet were leaking. I had a brand new Delta faucet lying around and installed it in place of the old Moen. After doing so, I thought, will this type of faucet still work with a demand type pump? The Moen and the Delta function very differently and I started worrying that the Moen was chosen originally because of the way its "piston" cartridge works.

Any thoughts on this?

Probably would have been good to ask this prior to actual installation, oh well, I am always doing everything backwards anyway.

73 Overlander
1997 GMC Suburban
73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The Moen faucets were and still are the best of their kind. As the parts are available in almost any hardware store that would be close. The delta will work fine even with the demand pump. If you still have the old Moen you could either gey a new insert or get a O-ring rebuild kit.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Glad to hear you think it should work!

I choose delta for all my faucets in the house because it is made locally and I have like a cazillion parts for it.

Thanks for the quick reply!
73 Overlander
1997 GMC Suburban
73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas
I was able to replace the cartridges in all three of my original Moen faucets in my Overlander. They can be stubborn to get apart and will sometimes bewilder the mind as to getting them back in correctly but once you figure them out it is not a big deal,
such as getting your cold and hots reversed after repair. You just need to spin the stem around 180 degrees. Replacement handles can be tricky to find, some household ones will fit fine and some will not. Myself I haven't had much luck with Delta faucets.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Moen cartridges are avaiable for the old faucets at Lowes, and probably your local hardware store for about $20 but like mentioned, the cheap 50 cent O-rings are usually the only thing wrong with them. Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Airstream used Delta faucets many years ago. They are the Chevy of faucets.

Moen is more of the Cadillac of faucets.

Either one works well in a demand system.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We have one leaking in the galley and I tried to take out the cartridge and it would not budge, probably not touched since it was new, I am thinking of using the Delta that we got at Lowes, I am going to take the base apart and use the parts that I need. I get the rubber cups by the bag full at the local plumbing supply house, they will fit Peerless and Delta.
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
There is a tool for removing Moen cartridges. The plastic one works fairly decent, at about $12, I think. The Moen brand chrome plated tool is twice that but should last a lifetime.

I wonder if Home Depot rents those?

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote