Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Flagstaff , Arizona
Composting toilet: winter use?

To anyone who has installed a composting toilet: Does cold weather alter the composting toilet's ability to compost waste? Are there any particular winter considerations for a composting toilet? (assuming that the AS would be used throughout the winter).

I'm thinking of Nature's head... any alternate suggestions? Pros/Cons?

Are there other toilet systems I should be considering that are low or no water use?

Thanks!
Ali
Joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have no direct experience with this... but my impression is that the temperature in the composting chamber needs to be above 70F or so for it to work. That seems pretty warm for the interior of an Airstream in winter, but some of the systems have heaters as options for the composting chambers. Of course, then you'd want a shore power connection for your toilet that doesn't require a sewer connection. TANSTAAFL.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That is my impression too.. 70 degrees.. because I googled it and saw a thing about 70 degrees.
The composting process needs heat and air. Decaying yard compost (organic material) produces a good amount of heat on its own and is trapped in the pile.
Not sure how much heat feces generates, but I'm guessing not a whole lot, that I why on google I also see systems that say that they work better when you add moss or something.
I'd say that the composting area would probably work better with heat provided. I see also that some composting toilets have built in heating elements and fans.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I just installed my natures head today. I would think that the composting process itself creates heat. The toilet should work fine in my opinion, which I'm told is worth very little...
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
dd, I want your opinion! Though of course I'm offering very little for it.

Please keep us updated. Since my Bubble is about 3 feet long & I'm pretty much a boondocker by nature, I'll need to address this issue during the remodel.

I suppose nobody is willing to consider an old-style commode, the oak-style ones with enamel buckets?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Eat lots of hotsauce, and Mexican food...It should create all the composting heat you need!

Seriously though...Reach out to Cece (greenrvlife) on this forum. She's great, and should have some info. or resources on the compost toilet. Tell her Matt sent you.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote