Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Yes, I agree, the waterless Laveo would NOT be a good choice for full timing. But, we love it even at $1/flush.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #42
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
My question also...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #43
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I can understand the desire to stay off grid for longer periods of time that a 'composting' toilet offers, but they are expensive, can smell (as in your situation) and the liquid and solids still need to be gotten rid of. They may be a good solution in a country cabin where you have a place to actually compost the waste rather than just throwing it in the garbage. Great marketing by Natures Head and other composting toilet manufacturers to convince people that this is the only way to avoid filling up a black tank quickly. IMO, I think they would also decrease the resale desirability of a modified trailer.

There are other simpler solutions for keeping your black tank empty for long periods of time. We have used 'Wag Bags' in the past, but they are fairly expensive. Less expensive, but just as effective are commode liners. Either of these fit into your regular toilet bowl and are permitted to be disposed of in garbage bins. IMO the bags are less distasteful to use then stirring the solids or having to empty the liquids every day. The bag method of waste disposal is also very useful when travelling and your trailer is winterized or no water is available for your regular porcelain toilet.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #44

Currently Looking...
Annapolis , MD
I've been using an Airhead on my 25ft C-Dory cruising boat for 6 seasons, and it has served us well. Waste is separated in to a solids tank (with composting material) and a liquids tank. It's claimed that the solids tank is good for about 80 uses before needing a clean out and replacement with new composting material like coco coir. The composted waste can be buried somewhere easily. Our liquids tank would usually fill up in a couple days, and I usually dumped it in a rest room toilet. Overall it works well, and as long as the 12V vent fan is running, there is no problem with odors. This is a good system on the water as pump-out facilities can be hard to get to. Personally, I plan to use the stock toilet in my future Airstream.
NyceFlyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #45

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Galloway , Ohio
Tried this on our brand new Interstate 19 and worked like a charm... double garbage bags inside the toilet bowl, add scoops of clumping litter. Do your duty and then dispose. Have only used this method for situation number 1. I double bag because clumping litter in a tank would be bad news. I will never use the black tank. Ever.
Rumpkebigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Gulf Shores , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The search results posted by SteveSueMac contain many threads, as you recognize. Have you clicked on all the threads in at least the first page of results, and read each and every post thoroughly?

What "information I'm looking for" exactly? You have not asked very specific questions here.

Doing the research homework sometimes results in an overwhelming amount of information, it is true, but that is part of owning a trailer IMO. The information will not be spoon-fed to you.

Peter

PS -- More results for "composting toilet urine smell" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...=airforums.com

OK, Peter. The Hall Monitor weighs in. Why is it that every "help-each-other-out" forum always has some people snarking people who ask questions? OK, yeah, four years ago somewhere on a large forum maybe there was an answer to the current question. So what? Answer it anyway. Don't tell them no one is going to help them out. Plenty of people are willing to help them out. In fact, everyone but you.

Have a nice day.
SamWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Evansville , Indiana
Composting Toilet

We've been using our Air Head Composting Toilet for 2-1/2 years and are perfectly pleased with it. We refurbished a 1960 Land Yacht and had initially intended to reuse the pink porcelain toilet but busted it when trying to remove it to replace the flooring beneath. The bust porcelain gave us reason to rethink the toilet and not wanting to mess with a black tank and chemicals we decided to look in to the CT. We went with Air Head rather than Nature's Head because it fit better into our small space. We were told to expect an initial peaty smell and we did but only for the first few days. Since then there's been no smell, inside or outside the camper. Yes, we have to keep an eye on the urine tank and it's a tad more work than our indoor toilet at home, but only a tad. We find it easier to empty the CT urine tank than a black tank and there is no chemical smell, plus removing the old black tank gave us a bit more room inside the camper. We find it necessary to give visitors instructions on how to use it but so far everyone has quickly adapted. We've learned to only talk about our CT if asked and on an 'as needed' basis as the uneducated find it gross and don't want to hear about it. :roll eyes: We love our vintage Airstream, compost toilet and all.
theStream is offline   Reply With Quote