Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Composting Toilet 1 Year Review

This youTube channel has a pros and cons review of their 1 year use of their composting toilet. After watching the video, composting toilets are not for us.

Kelvin
Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We have a Nature's Head both on our boat and in our Airstream. We will never go back to a black tank.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
This youTube channel has a pros and cons review of their 1 year use of their composting toilet. After watching the video, composting toilets are not for us.

Kelvin
I think I stopped watching about halfway through when he said the phrase "you have to hit that target, without looking."
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I will never have one. To me, it's not much of a step above a chamber pot.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As they say in the video, "moisture management is a problem."

Ya think?

I have never understood the so-called convenience of using this system in an RV. Separating the urine from the feces is just the beginning of a long list of labor-intensive compromises IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
We have a Nature's Head both on our boat and in our Airstream. We will never go back to a black tank.
How do you dispose of the urine on the boat? Same question for the AS please. Never understood the net gain benefits of this system.

Thanks,

Petet
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Great video. Thanks for posting.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Same here. By accepting some minor inconveniences we avoid all major ones.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
I'm new to airstreaming, but it looks like alot of work.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
How do you dispose of the urine on the boat? Same question for the AS please. Never understood the net gain benefits of this system.

Thanks,

Petet
Urine is not a bio hazard and can be disposed of safely behind a tree when wild camping, into a toilet on a campground. On the boat, it gets emptied overboard when away from shore or into a toilet when in a marina.

The main benefit is that you become independent from dumping stations - it is far easier to empty a bottle of urine into a toilet at a rest stop than having to look for a dumping station. During the summer, we tend to stay for two weeks at one of our favourite Parks. Before we had the composting toilet, I had to move the trailer to the dump station twice during that period. Now, we don't have to move at all. On the boat too this makes a huge difference as you're not allowed, with good reason, to pump out sewage anywhere close to shore.

We never had an issue with moisture management or with aiming - and we've got three young boys who all use the toilets. An additional benefit with the Airstream, not applicable on the boat, is that you gain considerable extra grey water capacity.

If you chose to stay at full hookup campgrounds then this makes little to no sense of course, but we prefer camping with no services.

As I've said before, we would never return to black tanks. As far as we're concerned they're smelly and hugely inconvenient.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
As they say in the video, "moisture management is a problem."

Ya think?

I have never understood the so-called convenience of using this system in an RV. Separating the urine from the feces is just the beginning of a long list of labor-intensive compromises IMO.

I don't want to even know the labor involved...now my curiosity is beginning to peak, now my imagination is kicking in.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I adore James and Stefany, the authors of that video. They are honest and authentic, rather than just spinning a preferred image of what life on the road is like.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Very educational video even though I didn't have any plans to switch to a composting
toilet - now even less so! But I suppose I can see the benefits for some folk.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
I am in the process of a full reconstruction of a 1958 Silver cloud. I have spent hours reading and watching videos about the composting toilets. A composting toilet would save a lot of work in the plumbing department.

Until this video, My overall take is that everyone who has one loves it and the people that don't have them think they're the most disgusting things around.

Overall I thought that video was a strong argument against a composting toilet, but ultimately they still have the thing. I think they need to explain why because they make it sound pretty disgusting an inconvenient.

I have watched all the Wynn's videos too. They make it sound easy.
sjislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Quote:
And to you composting toilet owners, do you think these folks in the video are doing something wrong? Just doesn't sound like the same experience you all are having. They seem to be getting very little composting and end up dumping raw feces in the dumpster. Especially after watching the Wynn's videos.

And I ask this because I am in the middle of trying to decide which way to go, no pun intended
sjislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:

As I've said before, we would never return to black tanks. As far as we're concerned they're smelly and hugely inconvenient.
How many pounds or cubic feet of sawdust, coconut coir or peat moss do you need to carry with you? Where do you dispose of the solid waste when on the road?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
"Composting" seems to used to market these devices. You can't compost anything in a week. The poop just gets mixed in with the coconut or peat and gets disposed of in the public trash in a bag.

Van dwellers use 5 gal buckets with trash bags and just dump their wag bags in the public trash.

Kelvin
Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
We have the Nature's Head Composting Toilet for our Full Time family of 4; being independent of dump stations is a major benefit, outweighing any of the cons mentioned in the video (though I do appreciate their review!). The part that is perhaps the most "inconvenient" is the social awkwardness of emptying the urine in a public place! I laughed pretty hard at the part of the video; so true!!!
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Lorton , Virginia
Thanks so much for posting the video. I have been considering converting to a composting toilet for some time. Appreciated the video confirming the differences between natures head and air head that I had heard. While they made it seem as if it was a pain in the butt, they did say they will continue to use and it serves the intended purpose. I can imagine they could have similarly made a good video about their visit to the dump station... They are not the Wynns...and good to hear another perspective, but I think I am still sold on composting. Probably should have my wife and kids watch the video first... Thanks! Rick.
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Not too fond of the idea of human solid waste (that's definitely not composted in under a week) ending up in random trash cans & dumpsters. There is a reason society handles raw sewage the way we do... Carrying pee to the bathroom is maybe embarrassing, but throwing feces into the dumpster for raccoons to pilfer through is almost a public health issue...
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote