Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
compost toilet buyers remorse? T or F?

Purchased a used AS a couple of weeks ago at an AS dealership. During the walk through last week, I mentioned to the tech that I wanted to install a compost toilet (Nature's Head).

She said "Ah, well, we've had quite a few owners who had them installed, then soon after has us reverse it and put the original toilet back in."

When I pressed for more details, it sounded like it was not THAT many, but at least two, one of which was full timing.

Of all the research I've done on compost toilets, this is the first I've heard.

Anyone else? Is this true? Know of any AS'ers who went the compost toilet way then regretted it?

I've been keen on getting one since I found out about full time RVing, and was hoping to get one installed before I picked the AS up. Her comment made me pause.

thanks,
bliss
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
There are quite a few people, more than 2, that have sold their Airstream shortly after buying it, but that hasn't affected your purchase.

There are always people changing their minds, ones who saw that one YouTube video (probably The Wynn's) where they sit outside and drink wine and have dinner with their toilet and thought, hey it must all just disappear. The biggest thing to any choice is eyes wide open, do all the research you can and then dig a little deeper.

If you want to try, before you buy, get a bucket some coir, keep it separate and start stirring. The biggest misinformation, is that the process isn't immediate and if not enough recovery time is allowed, to dry out and breakdown, then you don't actually have compost and should really only dispose of it properly.

Watch the FitRV couple, they do a pretty honest review and still prefer it to others they've tried.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
After two years of regular RV toilet use, I have bought and installed a composting toilet. Haven't had enough experience with it to pass judgement yet. While the potential advantages are compelling, it does have its own set of issues. To me, the advantages when boondocking made it worth a try. I couldn't Agree more with RandyNH. FitRV gives an excellent balanced report. The wynns give a very glowing review of composting toilets.
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who went with a composting toilet and didn't like it. I'm not one of them. I find my composting toilet to be very convenient for my RVing lifestyle. But I'm not shy about the fact that I have to empty my #1 tank in a toilet every other day and my #2 tank in the trash every 3 weeks or so. It's more convenient for me than being tied to a dump station.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
There are quite a few people, more than 2, that have sold their Airstream shortly after buying it, but that hasn't affected your purchase.

There are always people changing their minds, ones who saw that one YouTube video (probably The Wynn's) where they sit outside and drink wine and have dinner with their toilet and thought, hey it must all just disappear. The biggest thing to any choice is eyes wide open, do all the research you can and then dig a little deeper.
[...]

Watch the FitRV couple, they do a pretty honest review and still prefer it to others they've tried.
People who sold their Airstream - Ha! Yes, RandyNH, great analogy! The tech just seemed so adamantly against it. Well meaning, I'm sure, from her experience.

Yes the Wynns were great spokepersons for the compost toilet - they convinced me. But I did appreciate the FitRV's review. I'll have to watch it again, I just remember their insect situation.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
We use a Natures Head. One of the best things I've done to my Airstream. 0 regrets! Works like a charm and freed me from Black tank issues.
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
Composting

I've just finished a year-long shell-on rehab on my '70 Sovereign. Went with a Nature's Head mostly because my trailer only had a somewhat small combination grey/black water tank. I used the composter during the rehab process, but not full time until this past week. I got elbow-length vinyl gloves, and every couple of weeks, do basically the same thing I do with my cat's litter box, and with the same kind of scoop. Leaving the medium in the cooker seems to improve the quality of the process over dumping it and cleaning it every so often. Never had a problem with odor or bugs. I keep a gallon milk jug for use as a male urinal, and my wife doesn't have a problem with that part of things. She's still not real comfortable with the overall notion, but she's not the one who maintains it, and I'm pretty sure she will get over it since it's the only option at this point. It probably has something to do with it "just feeling so icky to open that door." She has a childhood fear of snakes. If it doesn't work for her, I will miss her, and send her pictures of the places I go. Unlike a holding tank, it won't overflow at 2 a.m., and I will smile as I see the folk lined up at the dump station, while I can choose my own time and place to PM my BMs.

Other than the exorbitant price, I have no complaints about the product itself.
Lingtodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
I am currently trying to talk the hubs into a composting toilet so we can convert our black water tank to gray water and maybe be a bit more ready for boondocking. I, too, worried that I might regret that decision, but I have loads of time to choose. We have been using our Sovereign as is and soon it will be time for a full restoration.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
My wife and I are full-timing in our Airstream. We've been using a Natures Head for 14 months.

As with most things, there are good points and bad points. Would I take it out and put in a regular tolitet, an easy task, no thank you. We're able to stay out for two weeks at a time without funding a dump.

Yes, have to empt they #1 jug ever other day. The #2 is between 2-3 weeks. Do I look forward to emptying the #2 - nope. Does it smell or disgusting- nope. Is there a learning curve - yep.

All in all, it accomplished what we wanted. Our black tank on the AS has only ever been used for gray water. I have a bypass valve that I can use to balance the gray and black tank - thus doubling the size of our gray tank holding.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
The simple truth is
Stay with what 95 or more percent use in their RV
Not just airstreamers
Why complicate things
Get a life
Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Not having to use a dump station and never touching the poo hose again is simplifing life.
Live and learn.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Since I'm the one who wanted the composting toilet, I'm the one who maintains it. And I am the wife. We have a C-Head. I'm still on the learning curve, mostly with regard to the composting medium. I don't mind it. To me it's less gross than dealing with a stinky slinky with liquids & solids mixed together. Note that emptying the grey tank at the dump station is still my husbands' job
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
How much space and weight does the necessary teo-four week supply of composting material (e.g. coconut core) take up?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
How much space and weight does the necessary teo-four week supply of composting material (e.g. coconut core) take up?
I find that two 12 oz bricks of coco coir are about enough for a change. Takes up as much space as two masonry bricks.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
"If it doesn't work for her, I will miss her, and send her pictures of the places I go."

A man after my own heart (I don't bother to send pictures though).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
I've been considering a Natures Head for our offgrid cottage and as possible future mod to our 27FB. Can someone with experience answer this one? I get that pee and poop have to be separated for everything to work properly and stay odour free. How does the urine separation work? What I mean is, even if I pee before I poop, I still find that I pee at the same time when I go for a poop. Seems, relaxing the sphincter relaxes the bladder. And, this may be TMI but, my poop urge regularly comes on fast and urgent without time to pee first, so the crux of the question:

Does the pee/poop separation in the natures head work when pee and poop happen simultaneously or am I going to end up with stinky soup?

(Again, sorry for so much talk about pee and poop but I have not been able to find a candid discussion of this scenario anywhere).
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
downers grove , Illinois
I don't want to sidetrack, I'm hoping to hear an answer to bbandeddie's very descriptive question...but anyone have young kids using composting toilet? It would make my renovation much simpler, but I also watched the FitRV review and it had me convinced me it would never work with young kids. I cant even get them to remember to flush at home. handling #1 and #2 separately seems impossible. Anyone?
JJJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I really don't understand the composting toilet, but listening to people's glowing reports here reminded me of the glowing reports of solar packages, certain hitches, diesel engines, and windmills.
I won't criticize before I know how they work, but I found that when traveling, I don't use the toilet much. I'm out seeing beautiful places, and have access to real porcelain. I can see the benefits if you boondock for more than a week, and can avoid emptying the black tank, but my travels aren't that remote.
If you miss the Marines, YMMV.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
I've been considering a Natures Head for our offgrid cottage and as possible future mod to our 27FB. Can someone with experience answer this one? I get that pee and poop have to be separated for everything to work properly and stay odour free. How does the urine separation work? What I mean is, even if I pee before I poop, I still find that I pee at the same time when I go for a poop. Seems, relaxing the sphincter relaxes the bladder. And, this may be TMI but, my poop urge regularly comes on fast and urgent without time to pee first, so the crux of the question:

Does the pee/poop separation in the natures head work when pee and poop happen simultaneously or am I going to end up with stinky soup?

(Again, sorry for so much talk about pee and poop but I have not been able to find a candid discussion of this scenario anywhere).
I can't speak for the NH since I have never used one, but I assume it's the same as the Air Head, which I am referencing in my response.

The #1 tank fills from the front of the toilet, and the inside of the toilet is curved to direct liquids into the #1 tank when deposited by a seated passenger.

If you are equipped to pee while standing, it's possible to do so, but I wouldn't advise it. No matter where you aim, there's a pretty good chance you will be misted with splash-back. This does not occur when seated, so I am now a full-time squatter.

There is a #2 door that needs to be opened when making your deposit in the solids tank. If you are standing to pee and the door is closed, the door will direct liquids to the liquids tank. With the door opened, you make your deposit, drop in the TP, and close the door.

It's preferable to have the door closed when peeing while seated, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Your #1 and #2 equipment are generally separated enough that the liquids will be directed to the proper tank while seated if some happen to come out while the door is open. That said, for added assurance of separation, if you open the door only when you are actively depositing in the #2 tank, all the better.

This is all nowhere near as complicated as it may sound. It takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty easy after a few uses.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Thanks all for the responses. All the fans of composters cite the same reasons why I want one - boondocking, full time, less smelly toilet, etc.

If there were a large number of people who installed a composting toilet then had it reversed, I'm curious to know why, and to consider the merits* of their reasons. I also realized that maybe some owners reversed it b/c they were selling the trailer...?

I know a large number of people find the whole idea repulsive, so I assume those folks would not install one in the first place.

My only question now is whether to have the dealership (professionals) install one now, before I pick it up in a couple of weeks, or wait until I can install one myself...

Again, thanks for all the input on my question. As far as the other questions go that have cropped up, I'll let wiser souls answer.

(*"merits" meaning, whether the reasons apply to me and my situation, not whether they're right or wrong)