Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
My only question now is whether to have the dealership (professionals) install one now, before I pick it up in a couple of weeks, or wait until I can install one myself...
Certainly wouldn't hurt to use the existing black tank system for a while. Who knows, it may work great for you, and you'll save the money by not modifying anything. Pretty common advice here to use your trailer for a while before you go changing things. Your priorities might be vastly different after living with it for a while.

You can always bring it back to be installed later, or do it yourself.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Composting toilet is great...

I recently installed a Nature's Head composting toilet over 6 months ago for a cross country journey with my then pregnant wife in our renovated 1972 safari airstream , the toilet worked flawlessly, no smell, no bugs, quiet exhaust. I did have to dump the urine bottle every 2 days especially with a then 5 month pregnant wife and pee sitting down. (No big deal) Install was a breeze and I would recommend a Nature's Head or a Airhead, either one work on the same principle. I think the two owners of the companies were once partners and had a falling out. Doh!
Benefits: No more touching a dirty hose, or needing a dump hose, dump hose parts, dealing with waste/smell, waiting in lines to dump, any potential back flow, I also saved weight in getting rid of my black tank, I love it, my wife loves it, "a happy wife means a happy life
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
I am looking at this one. His videos sold me.

http://www.c-head.com/BoonJon.html
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
So I went online again( I've been looking at nature head brand for 6+ months). Am I right when I read one users post he scoops the poop with gloves on? Instead of dumping? And how do you dump this thing? From online pictures it looks like the entire toilet is taken apart as the " bucket" is the largest furthest piece? Am I right? If this is the case when bouncing down the road ( driving) it has a chance to move a bit in the designated bathroom space?( I have a classic motorhome so noise would bother me) ( which I would find a nice way to secure with rubber cushions)

Also I assume a vent hose is off on the one side and a small adapter plug runs the fan? And is the dumper mechanism on the side? With the optional spider handle

I hope this all makes sense and a nature head owner can help me with my questions
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
Mulch pooping

It's not like there is a bunch of poop just sloshing around in it while you drive. The medium (which can be coconut coir, sawdust, or pine bark mulch or anything similar) sticks to whatever you put in there, absorbs any moisture (and odor), so unless it's in constant use, what you have can be removed with gloves or a litter box scoop. It comes with brackets to anchor it to the floor.

We full-time with ours, but use the campground restrooms when possible to let our composting crapper digest a little better, so don't have to service it as often.

There is no dump door, unless you are referring to when you dismantle it and remove the top. The spider handle just stirs it up. The small 12v fan draws air across the mixture on one side and out into a vent hose that attaches to your plumbing vent.

It really is simple, odorless, and easy to adapt to. In my book, beats the hell out of standing at the dump station with a hose. We only have a grey water tank now, so extends our ability to boondock, and makes that (grey water) cleanout much more pleasant.

BTW, if you don't want to clean it as I've described, you can just get a big lawn and leaf bag, put it over the top, and roll it upside down to empty it.

Plus, it keeps the prisses from wanting to use your bathroom. We painted ours with Rustoleum copper spray paint and refer to it as "The Incredible Copper Crapper."
Lingtodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
So I went online again( I've been looking at nature head brand for 6+ months). Am I right when I read one users post he scoops the poop with gloves on? Instead of dumping? And how do you dump this thing? From online pictures it looks like the entire toilet is taken apart as the " bucket" is the largest furthest piece? Am I right? If this is the case when bouncing down the road ( driving) it has a chance to move a bit in the designated bathroom space?( I have a classic motorhome so noise would bother me) ( which I would find a nice way to secure with rubber cushions)

Also I assume a vent hose is off on the one side and a small adapter plug runs the fan? And is the dumper mechanism on the side? With the optional spider handle

I hope this all makes sense and a nature head owner can help me with my questions
The handle is for mixing the solids tanks. You turn it after every use.

Dumping the solids tank is not a big deal. I can't fathom why someone would want to scoop it like a litter box. If you're mixing as directed, the solids are fairly homogenous anyway.

Take the top off the toilet, take the liquids tank out, unlatch the solids tank from the floor, detach air hose, put trash bag over top, invert, replace solids tank, add coco coir, reassemble toilet. Takes like 4 minutes every other week for full timing.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I have a 28 foot airstream motorhome and am planning on major overhaul on the inside as absolutely nothing works except the beds lol. This will most likely be 2018 winter project. I have the rear bath now which is approximately 36x88". I want to convert the rear to a double/queen size mattress perpendicular to the motorhome so 54-60" of the length used. One one of the sides im thinking a 36x72-84" stall that will have a compost toilet built in, shower and sink, Wood Matt floors and all this will be above my wheel well. Opposite side I can fit a bed/ couch unit I have from an argosy.

Looking at the c-head. It is even simpler and easier to build into a shower bench.

All this is for an bathroom that wil be used very little.
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
I've been considering a Natures Head for our offgrid cottage and as possible future mod to our 27FB. Can someone with experience answer this one? I get that pee and poop have to be separated for everything to work properly and stay odour free. How does the urine separation work? What I mean is, even if I pee before I poop, I still find that I pee at the same time when I go for a poop. Seems, relaxing the sphincter relaxes the bladder. And, this may be TMI but, my poop urge regularly comes on fast and urgent without time to pee first, so the crux of the question:

Does the pee/poop separation in the natures head work when pee and poop happen simultaneously or am I going to end up with stinky soup?

(Again, sorry for so much talk about pee and poop but I have not been able to find a candid discussion of this scenario anywhere).
Unbelievable! I really think this is a question for one of our "experts", which I (fortunately) am not! Perhaps someone like Uncle Bob can address this one? LoL No disrespect intended...inquiring minds want to know this stuff!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote