Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Cold/Hot Reversed on Kitchen Fixture

We just purchased a preowned 2008 Classic 25. It has a wonderful double kitchen sink with a faucet that has a built in sprayer and it pulls out, there is a dishwashing soap dispenser and even a separate filtered water faucet.

However, it looks like AS connected the faucet up wrong. The temperature indicator on the faucet has on the left side red and on the right side blue. If I push the lever to the left its cold to the right its hot. I looked under the sink and it doesn't look too hard to reverse the feed lines but still one more thing to to add to the list.

Has this happened anyone else?

Kelvin

Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We just purchased a preowned 2008 Classic 25. It has a wonderful double kitchen sink with a faucet that has a built in sprayer and it pulls out, there is a dishwashing soap dispenser and even a separate filtered water faucet.

However, it looks like AS connected the faucet up wrong. The temperature indicator on the faucet has on the left side red and on the right side blue. If I push the lever to the left its cold to the right its hot. I looked under the sink and it doesn't look too hard to reverse the feed lines but still one more thing to to add to the list.

Has this happened anyone else?

Kelvin
The cartridge in the faucet is probably reversed. Remove the handle, remove the horseshoe clip that holds the cartridge, pull the cartridge out and rotate it 180 degrees, then reseat the cartridge. Re-install the horseshoe clip and handle, and the hot water should now be on the left.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
While running the hot water, feel each of the braided inlet lines under the sink to see if the hot is on the left or right. That will tell you if the lines or the cartridge were installed backwards. You should also be able to see where the braided lines connect to the red and white plumbing that comes up behind the cabinet.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Yes! It's even more fun if your shower is reversed.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Your AS is five years old, how do you know the previous owner did not reverse something while doing repairs? Still a pain in the butt, but perhaps the blame is being placed incorrectly. Jim
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Great Idea, Terry, Now . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The cartridge in the faucet is probably reversed. Remove the handle, remove the horseshoe clip that holds the cartridge, pull the cartridge out and rotate it 180 degrees, then reseat the cartridge. Re-install the horseshoe clip and handle, and the hot water should now be on the left.
Thanks, Terry, for your suggestion. I thought, "Well, how nice. I can fix this for Linda." As it turns out, like all-things-plumbing, I immediately discover how incompetent I am at fixing the kitchen faucet. I get the top cover off, and remove the handle. I then see the attached, which seems completely sealed and untouchable, at least to me. What's the Next Step?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Faucet 1999 Excella.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	184873  
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Does that chrome ring at the top, surrounding the black cartridge, not unscrew with your bare hand?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Moen or Delta?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Does that chrome ring at the top, surrounding the black cartridge, not unscrew with your bare hand?
Looks very much like ours. Yes, the chrome ring should unscrew allowing further access. I had to put a strip of protective material around the chrome ring and carefully use channel locks to grasp the ring. It should be a standard right hand thread, so turning counter clockwise should do the job.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Put it back together and call it a feature. The next thing you know you will be replacing the floor and building a new frame.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Your AS is five years old, how do you know the previous owner did not reverse something while doing repairs? Still a pain in the butt, but perhaps the blame is being placed incorrectly. Jim
Thanks for everyone's comments.

This AS was so lightly used by the PO. I believed he leased the unit according to some leftover documentation in the AS manual case. The oven had never been used, nor the microwave, the stickers on the shower stall were there and the fridge bins still had the blue tape holding them secure.

I'm not sure the PO even bothered with warranty work. He never sent in the warranty cards for the appliances.

I almost think he took it out for day trips only around Austin, TX. There are a few dings in the exterior.

So I'm not surprised if the faucet hot/cold was missed.

Kelvin
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Thanks for everyone's comments.

This AS was so lightly used by the PO. I believed he leased the unit according to some leftover documentation in the AS manual case. The oven had never been used, nor the microwave, the stickers on the shower stall were there and the fridge bins still had the blue tape holding them secure.

I'm not sure the PO even bothered with warranty work. He never sent in the warranty cards for the appliances.

I almost think he took it out for day trips only around Austin, TX. There are a few dings in the exterior.

So I'm not surprised if the faucet hot/cold was missed.

Kelvin
That's exactly how I found mine. The tires still had the injection molding "hairs" on the tire treads. (since replaced due to age). Although we got great finds, sitting for 4 years does "age" things as well. Mostly, for me, it was exterior sealer deterioration as well as factory defects which PO never addressed.

Still.......more than worth the price of entry for me!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
Just switch the supply lines

I think it would be an easier fix if you take a 1/2 wrench and change the two supplies where they meet the stops under the sink. Most faucets now have built in washers and long braided supplies that make these changes quick and easy.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
This last weekend trip I reversed the two feed lines and now the hot water comes out on the left side. I had the installation instructions to this faucet and it did not indicate which line was hot or cold. The doesn't seem to be a cartridge that can be reversed on this unit. Luckily reversing the lines was easy and no leaks after the switch.

Kelvin