Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
My wife has instructed me for years to use Bon Ami on all her stainless and Le Creuset cookware and stainless kitchen sink. It cleans without scratching, has been around since 1886. Google "The Bon Ami Story" Its a little hard to find sometime. Non abrasive, use a cloth of soft bristle plastic scrubby to clean with. Clean in the grain direction of the material always. BTW it's about $1.50 for 14 oz. can. Made in the USA also. Good luck.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Also, I find that if I want the BR sink to stay 'pretty', I have to wipe it down every day. I usually do it right before I get on the road as part of my check-off list. Or as I notice it's decline when camping in place for a few days. I wonder why it doesn't stay as nice looking as the kitchen sink. If I were to replace it, it would be with a high quality stainless steel. I think SS replacement material would be lighter weight than ceramic.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #23

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Arroyo Grande , California
I love stainless steel sinks, I will swear by them. True stainless steel does not rust.
There are different grades of SS. 316 stainless is the best, No iron in the steel.It has a grain and does not show water spots. 304B also does not have iron but is a polish finish, harder to keep clean, it shows water spots. Anything other than these two(2) types will rust because of the iron content. FYI, Commercial kitchens use 316 ss.
From a Sheet Metal worker for 36 years.
dvenzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #24

Casper , Wyoming
Is your water source contaminated?

I have seen pitting on stainless steel caused by bacterial bio films. Looks exactly like your photo. Could be your water tank, lines, well or municipality water supply has a contamination that is contributing to pitting. The stainless in the kitchen sink may be a different type, not affected by the bacteria that affects the lav. Your health could be of concern if this is the case.
airharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Using a wax or other sealant isn't a good idea.

Not sure I would completely agree, with over 15 years using various cleaners (and waxes). Mine looks like it did the day it was placed into the RV back in late 2003 when it was built.

Also partially disagree about the bleach, unless it was poured in full strength.

Keep in mind that a higher than normal percentage (even higher if you do the shorter contact time method as I do) of bleach is passed through the water systems (and comes in contact with the sink) as part of disinfecting the water supply system. Although at a significantly less concentration than just pouring it in from the "Clorox" bottle, again, after a bit more than 15 years, I would think that given these comments about bleaches and sealants, my identical sink would have exhibited a similar issue- but it hasn't, yet.

I would have to agree that it's most likely a bad batch, inferior grade of stainless steel, someone poured something really nasty in it (heavy duty drain cleaner?!) or I, like many have just been lucky for the past 15+ years.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote