Old 06-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Best RV Toilet?

I'm replacing the toilet in our 86 Limited. Bathroom room is a premium. I thought I wanted a Thetford Aqua Magic V as it has outside dimensions similar to the old Thetford that's in there not. The old one has developed a leak in the flush valve.

I was shocked to learn the new Thetford toilet does not have a "down pipe" from the bowl to the floor. The water just spills into the lower chamber of the toilet and a "gravity" directs the water to the black tank. The whole lower chamber of the toilet is "dirty". I can't imagine I would want one of those. I understand it is sealed, but removal would be a mess.

My new Dometic 310 in my Trade Wind has a molded in down pipe as I would expect. The Dometic is too big for my 86 Limited. No room for that big, oval shaped bowl and seat.

So, like tow vehicles and hitches, I figured I'd start a "toilet review" thread and see what you experts have found for good replacement toilet. I want a good design. Too bad Toto doesn't make an RV toilet.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personally I think the best head for trailers would be a quality composting unit.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Keep the discussion coming. My toilet works, an Aquamagic V I believe but it is like a child's toilet to me- prefer a residential elongated. Not a huge issue but the throne is a bit small! Still,it is better than a bucket and a walmart bag!
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I'm not ready for a composting toilet. Reminds me of my cat's litter box.

The "residential" style toilets are too big for the space I have. Airstream designed this bathroom very efficiently. They probably picked the shower pan and toilet and designed the room around it. That is what I did in my Trade Wind.

The Dometic 310 I have in my Trade Wind wasn't all that impressively built. The plastic connection male nipple had a 1/4" long un-threaded extension on it. I suppose it reached down to the rubber seal on some type of toilet swivel connectors. But the flex connector I had did not allow room for that long extension. I had to mess around too long to get the thing connected. Plastic threads never impressed me. And the flange seal wasn't just the best design I have seen either. Further, the bowl is big, but it is shallow. I don't know how well it flushes yet.

The Thetford Aqua Magic V is the right size. But the plastic flush valve and mechanism sits high in the back of the toilet. And this design with no down pipe just bothers me. I can't imagine. It's like having two black tanks, one above the floor as part of the toilet, and one under the floor. The old Thetford had the slide valve down at floor level. There was almost 6" of down pipe molded right into the bowl.

So I was just wondering what other Airstreamers have found that seems well built and functions good.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Wouldn't give 2 cents for the Dometic 310 High Profile toilet that came with our 2012 AS. The toilet leaks at the seam between the bowl and base. There is no way to repair this. Took the toilet out and you can hear the water that has accumulated in the pedestal. We are currently looking for a replacement but I guarantee I will not buy a Dometic.
Sometimes I pretent to be Normal....
but it gets boring, so I go back to being me
LivLoveLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
I just installed a dometic 320 in my refurbished overlander looks great but I haven't had it long enough to give you a honest report
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I think if you were really boondocking the composting would be the way to go. Having a wet bath, not really an appealing option though (apparently has been done). Would consider the urine/waste separator units though and the solar full time fan connection manditory.

Resale value you'll likely have to return to original config before you sell though.

timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote