Old 10-23-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Question below toilet

Ive got the toilet pulled easily, and found a pretty rusty yet once enameled iron or steel ring bolted(anyone have an idea where I can get a new steel ring?) to the wood floor(which looks pretty good, whew!) I find a grey plastic ring inside that is hard to grip or turn. Does it turn? should I hacksaw it to the edge and gently chizel it from the expensive black tank? Would this be a hard to find ring that fits to the black tank? I may fashion a 3&1/2 inch piese of steel to fit into 2 grooves of the grey plastic black tank insert to see if that turns it. Lots of questions but like they say "there is no stupid question (only stupid people who ask them!?!) "

Old 10-23-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
below toilet

removed steel ring and was able to extract tank with plastic ring intact still hoping that this threaded grey ring is not glued to the black tank and fear that exerting much torque could fracture black water tank. Am also clueless about dump valve replacement -repair. andy suggestions are welcome-

Old 10-24-2002, 12:50 AM   #3
hex

Thumbs down

STOP
I have never been there yet and do not know the answer.
BUT they ought to call the Black Tank the GOLD TANK from what I remember about it's HIGH COST. And the labor is a bear also.
DON'T BREAK THE DAMN THING !!!

Someone will arrive with advice shortly I hope.

Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:23 PM   #4

black tank and gate valves

barnacle 5 ( bill) here in KY . just pulled a 65 overlander home today. it is in really sound shape stored under a shed for many years, but the waste tanks are gone ( owners had it hooked directlly to a septic tank) can anyone send me diagrams and or photos of these installations? I am going to have to replace the H2O pump , battery, waste tank(s) and gate valves. any and all help is greatly appreciated.
has anyone jerked the (hot) water heater and installed a direct inline heater? also need to know how these sway bars connect.
thanks, Bill.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

tiolets

How do the toilets come apart? I was replacing the spray hose and loosened the hose clamp to pull it off and I pulled of what looks like a drain hose, clear hose with a lot of silicon around it.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Toilets ??

RV toilets are easier to change/repair than any house unit. Allmost all RV toilets are mounted directly over the black water holding tank. The holding tank has a 3 inch pipe connected to a common plumbing fitting called a closet flange. These are available in several sizes but RV use the 3 inch. The closet flanges are available in several styles. I prefer the heavy ABS. After glueing a short piece of 3 inch pvc to the toilet ring[read closet flange], the flange is fitted to the pipe into the holding tank., with a wax seal between. The toilet is bolted to the flange with 2 bolts. The front bolt is located behind the foot lever. The rear bolt is located under a snap in plastic cap. Usually a 15-18 inch extension with a swivel 1/2 inch socket will work great. Place some wheel bearing grease in socket to prevent loss and easy install. The last connection is the water supply. A very handy item to have at the toilet is adish washing hand sprayer. It really makes any clean up in the bowl very easy. I raised my toilet 4 inches. It is terrific for an old guy. My sweetheart likes the move too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet raise.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2051  
Old 05-04-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

toilet bottom

Every one should see the bottom of a RV toilet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toilet bottom.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2052  
Old 05-04-2003, 12:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Toilet helper

Da best and easiest way to get at front bolt...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toilet front bolt .jpg
Views:	305
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2053  
Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Good idea

I got the toilet removed and found out where the hose came from, it was in the fitting that goes to the the bowl fill, I cleaned the fitting out and found what looks like where a O ring should be, is there supposed to be a fitting in the hole for the hose to be put on? I looke at the picture that you have of the floor and it looke like you made a riser to set the toilet on,good idea, now to get some pipe and lumber and go to work
Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Toilet repair

I took the toilet apart the other day and found a lot of silicon , I wonder how long it took to fill the bowl with water, I will replace the O ring with a 3/8" copper coupling inside so it will seal tight when the screws are put back in place, they sure used a good caulk to put the toilets together, I will use a automotive silicon to reassemble the two parts of the bowl, our son wanted to know if I wanted copper, blue, black or red.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Silicon ... not hardly!

Quote:
I will use a automotive silicon to reassemble
Unless you are fabricating a transistor, I suggest that you use Silicone, not Silicon. That little "e" makes a world of difference.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote