Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nevada City , 95959
Bath Tub Stained Really Bad Cleanable?

I am looking at an Excella 1978 31 foot that I like but the tub/shower is disgustingly dirty, stained with most likely red dirt or ??? Can this be cleaned or go with resurfacing? What does resurfacing do, how much, and will it look like new afterwards? thanks!!!
lanajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Couple of ideas

Good question, I was thinking the same thing on mine, it’s not stained real bad but is has yellowed (maybe that’s the stock color) and I would like it white.

Two ideas are: might be able to fine sand it to a uniform color almost like polishing the skin. I have a plastic refinishing “kit” that has various grits to restore plastic. Another idea is you can buy a fiberglass tub refinishing kit at home stores that might do the trick. It should handle the flexing without cracking and I think it would adhere if the surface was cleaned and sanded lightly. Has anybody tried this?

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You may be able to use a fiberglas gel coat. Check with a boat yard.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote