Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
2air, if you suck all the air out of the trailer with the fans, it will be lighter than air. In fact, you may have to weight it down so it doesn't drag your TV into the ionosphere.

Once you get it balanced a few inches above the ground, your TV gas mileage should increase dramatically.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for the advice everyone.

So far, the only thing that I have done differently from other (non smelly) is switch to an eco friendly black tank deodorizer.

Also, half the exterior of my AS was replaced after it was damaged in a wind storm last spring. In my AS, the toilet and shower are both in the rear. The corner where the toilet is was the most heavily damaged. Depending on how much work they had to do in the interior, the toilet might have had to be removed and then put back.

Come to think of it, the vent cap on the black tank stack was half snapped off in the storm as well, and had to be replaced.

As for some of the other points;

Even when I am on full hookups, I never leave the grey or black water tank valves open. I dump the grey every night, and the black after it is about 2/3 full.

Also, I only run the fantastic vents when I have a window or two open.

The smell is not from the grey tank. I can feel the airflow coming from the sides of the toilet at the back. Since the toilet is mostly hollow, I think the air must be getting in through the seal to the floor, and working it's way up through the inside of the toilet.

I'll try picking up some less than eco friendly deodorizer, and report back!

I like the advice about properly flushing the tank though. I've already done it a few times, and the (identical) smell keeps coming back... so something foul must be stuck to the sides or the top of the tank.

As for Fort Wilderness, we have a premium site... and it will really spoil us for going back to our usual camping spots closer to home. Why can't more billion dollar corporations open up parks???????? ;-)
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #23
_

. , .
why don't you just TELL US what black tank product is being used?

good grief.

IF it is a bacterial/enzyme base, COLD water/weather will greatly limit it's bio activity....

and based on THAT MISSING bit of relevant info (damage/repairs)...

it is ALSO likely the black tank, chute, donut, or toilet aren't well attached,

or have separated somewhere in the closed loop during TRAVEL after these repairs.

because AIR should not enter the lav area around the toilet...

even with 10 F fans running full on.

there are WAY too many other leaky spots for air to enter (like the fridge vent)

thus avoiding a vacuum collapse event...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
I was using a Thetford branded enviro-friendly granulated product called "Supreme Green." Upon closer inspection of the bag, it doesn't actually make any claims to deodorize the tank! :-O

I ran out to the park "Trading Post," and luckily they had a supply of the less than enviro friendly Thetford stuff. If it is not "known by the State of California to cause cancer," it's no good apparently. ;-)

Sorry if I left out some details in my original post. I've been trying to post and deal with the kids at the same time. Too many distractions. Plus, living in fear of that fantastic fan pulling my trailer inside out and all... ;-)

At least I provided fodder for a few fantastic fan jokes and a Leafs joke (low blow by the way).

I was actually just trying to get a gauge of how easy it would be to take the toilet apart, and whether or not this was something I'd want to do on vacation. I've installed toilets in houses quite a few times, but I have no experience with them in RV's.

Or am I just mistaken in assuming that there should be no air leakage except when I am actually flushing the toilet?

Thanks again to those that offered advice.

Cheers.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
_

. , .
ok u r forgiven...

we're just jealous about not being camped in FW and sharing ALL of those theme park germs...

the toilet is VERY easy to remove, 2 bolts.

and NO there should not be ANY air leaking/around the base IF properly installed.

lots of other places for leaks in the trailer,

and the trap door valve can leak, but the clue to that is when it doesn't hold water well.

now dis-assembly of the toilet is MORE complex/time consuming than simply removing it.

and IF you don't have replacement parts at hand, there's no point in doing that.

with full hook ups so handy, i'd consider keeping the black tank 3/4 full with WATER...

then only the floaters will stink...

cheers
2air'

btw i think FW has a 10 pm curfew on using F fans...

and having replaced/installed the toilet 3 times, EACH time was a vacation of sorts...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote