Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
AS Faucets

I have heard from several different people that faucets from big box stores wont work for RV's. Why wont they work? Water pressure??
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
I have heard from several different people that faucets from big box stores wont work for RV's. Why wont they work? Water pressure??
You heard wrong.

One of the largest brands of faucets has been used for many years by Airstream, that's also used in homes.

Check out the Moen faucets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
First, I have not tried. But I don't see why not. There was an interesting thread a while ago about a Moen kitchen faucet with a built in filter cartridge that if I remember right some newer Airstreams have installed.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
I think big box (Home Depot, etc.) faucets will work, they need an adapter to be compatable with the existing Airstream plumbing.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Can't comment on your question, but I can tell you that the ones that came with your trailer are probably made by Moen, and are covered by a life-time guarantee. Here is a link to the work I did on the one in our sink: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...tml#post701650 The "big box" store guy gave us the parts for free!

We had a leak in the sink one right off the bat when we bought it, and it was a heck of a job repairing it, but it is probably good for another 35 years, and we like the way it looks.

The popular-price ones from the "big box" stores won't last anywhere near that, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

But I can't imagine why they wouldn't work in a TT... A tap is a tap, and the ones in our TT are exactly like you would have seen in a house 35 years ago.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
I think big box (Home Depot, etc.) faucets will work, they need an adapter to be compatable with the existing Airstream plumbing.
The plumbing in yout TT is copper, Cynthia, and will need to be cut and have have a flared fitting used to connect to a new tap. You can see from the link I posted above that there are no "screw-on" fittings that modern taps use on your trailer's taps.

This is only about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 difficulty. You have already done much harder stuff.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The plumbing in yout TT is copper, Cynthia, and will need to be cut and have have a flared fitting used to connect to a new tap. You can see from the link I posted above that there are no "screw-on" fittings that modern taps use on your trailer's taps.

This is only about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 difficulty. You have already done much harder stuff.
Aage, Im replacing everything copper with PEX Will I still need an adapter?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Aage, Im replacing everything copper with PEX Will I still need an adapter?
Nope, not at all. Just the right sized screw-on end.

Say, when are you going to post a few new photos of your trayla? You seem to have been doing a TON of work on it lately!!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
One of the first mods that I did to our trailer was to change the bathroom faucet to a single-handle. Has worked great for the past 14 months, and is much more convenient to use.

Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Nope, not at all. Just the right sized screw-on end.

Say, when are you going to post a few new photos of your trayla? You seem to have been doing a TON of work on it lately!!
Rin Tin Tin is not in photogentic shape..naked mostly.
All of the kitchen down along curb side is out.Sold the kitchen cabinet. All of the bath is out and taking over my garage .
Redesigning all the cabinets and reworking the bath to replace all the plastic (not my style). We will see how long my patience works with all the plastic in my garage The weather here is not ideal and I feel as though Im trapped indoors. HELP...pray for sunshine and blue skies

Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
One of the first mods that I did to our trailer was to change the bathroom faucet to a single-handle. Has worked great for the past 14 months, and is much more convenient to use.

Ron
Ron,
Do you think single handles are the way to go? Still in the planning/design
process. Im not sure what works better. Thanks, Cynthia

Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Any faucet that that fits the holes where your old faucet was will work . It just a matter of what you like and want to spend. As far as hooking it up ,again that is a matter of preference as there are usually multiple ways to do the same plumbing job. I like to stick with major brands and simple hook ups so things are easy to repair. The products available in the big box stores make it easy. Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember sometimes the the neighborhood hardware store guys really are experts and its worth the extra dollar or two to shop with them. Most of the time the help in the big box store is lucky to even find you the product let alone tell you how to install it.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Any faucet that that fits the holes where your old faucet was will work . It just a matter of what you like and want to spend.

Most of the time the help in the big box store is lucky to even find you the product let alone tell you how to install it.
REALLY good to know that the faucets wont impede the design.
I assume its the same with the shower fixture??

Yes, I spend a split amount of time at Lowes and HD. My experience with Lowes is better. They seem so much more helpful and attentive. HD's associates seem to be as elusive as a Texas Horned Toad and if you need a lot loader...even more so.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
While we are talking about faucets, how about bathroom faucets with a built in shower head, anybody find a nice stylish design of one of these that doesn't brake the bank?

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Guess it depends on the location... I have had better luck finding someone to help load the truck at HD. They also gave me a contractor discount when I was buying all the materials to build my shop without asking. I usually don't ask them "how to" though. Neither seem to be up to that challenge and the internet is usually a better knowledge base.

Last week I was buying the drawer slides for the hide-away door (hinged and pocket?) and asked where they were. The guy took me there then proceeded to ask what I was doing. I explained it to him with the slides in hand. He then said it wasn't possible and started to take them from me?!? I asked him if he had a better solution and he didn't but he really wanted to get the slides out of my hands for some reason HAHA. I bought them and they are now installed and working perfectly.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Choose a brand that will give you fixtures for the kitchen and bath areas. That way they have the commonality of parts in the future. I would stay with the Moen brand IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Rin Tin Tin is not in photogentic shape..naked mostly.
All of the kitchen down along curb side is out.Sold the kitchen cabinet. All of the bath is out and taking over my garage .
Redesigning all the cabinets and reworking the bath to replace all the plastic (not my style). We will see how long my patience works with all the plastic in my garage The weather here is not ideal and I feel as though Im trapped indoors. HELP...pray for sunshine and blue skies
Hey, if we all had to wait for photos until traylas were all finished, there wouldn't be hardly any photos on airforums! Let's see what Rinty looks like, garage included! LOL!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I recently have had bad experiences with Price Pfister so I would stay away from them. When I redid our home bathroom, I bought PP fixtures because they worked for that room and style and I had a good experience with a PP kitchen faucet I bought more than 10 years ago. The shower pressure compensating cartridge has never worked right and it wasn't too hard to get a replacement the first time (they wanted me to pay shipping, but I refused), but I've been trying to get a second replacement for 5 months. The valve is very hard to turn; the first one would suddenly blast us with scalding water. They keep sending me the wrong cartridge.

PP was bought several years ago by Black & Decker and they've cheapened the brand substantially. Just a warning.

I'd stick with Moen.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Some of the Moen faucets are only made for HD & lowes,their part #`s don`t even show up in my wholesale books,they look externally the same ,but take different parts to repair.They are what you call disposable faucets,if they leak,throw them away.
If you are going to buy faucets from the box stores,at least get Kohler. If you can afford an AS,you should at least put a decent faucet in it. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave, I bought the Price Pfister fixtures from eFaucet. Do they sell cheaper versions of the brands too?

I wonder if Airstream buys the cheap version of Moen fixtures? The sprayer in our kitchen is made of junk metal and plastic.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote