Old 04-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
..and Showerpans too

Plumbing, Water Heaters Toilets and Tanks....

Could not find the Bathroom section figured this was close enough.

Now grant it we have scored a beautiful Vintage Airstream - Globetrotter - but all this time the bathroom door has been kept closed so we don't get depressed.

Well the door came off yesterday for its refresh too - and in todays sunlight I got a real good look at what I had supposedly cleaned - YIKES!!!!!
How do you clean these toilets on the outside so they come up clean! I used meangreen (Bleach/mildew)- and let it sit for quite a long time and scrubbed with a coarse brush.

(Normally when you buy a new (re-sale) house the first thing you do is replace all the toilet seats! Well it is a bit difficult to do that now isn't it as any replacements will be gently used too .

Second issue - what have people used in the line of re-gelcoating the showerpan - as you can see it looks like it has been done a few years back and not very good - as it has all cracked and is flacking off. The fiberglass underneath has many spider cracks so we will definitely have to repair in a much better manner. The pan is still good and sturdy and does not crack or moan when you stand on it.

Last question - what is the GLOB of stuff A/S used around the base of the ABS pipes and other pipes - see at the back of the toilet - there are several spots where this substance is used - and right now it is so hard it could be used as Skeets What is the best replacement.

Open for ideas and suggestions (note: pulling the unit is not an option!)

Thanks for any insight...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wetbath.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	6106  

Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Sharon,
To nicely refinish the shower and bath parts, it WILL have to come apart.
There are services that do this in every other city. They spray a very durable epoxy paint on the parts, making them look and feel like brand new.
The toilet, once discolored, will not clean up to new condition, unless it's porcelain.
I just replacem mine wioth a SeaLand low profile. The remodel was not cheap, but worth every penny twice to us.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
uwe
Your remodel sounds like it was a nice one. To take our bath unit out means we have to disturb- remove almost everthing - as the base is attached to the seats/dresser combo in the back and on the other side it is attached to the closet that is attached to the kitchen counter which the stove/oven is attached to - and in our small baby that would be considered a huge job just to get her out. And we really don't want to disturb things if we don't have to.

Do you know if they have mobile units that come to you or if they can go in and mask off and spray?

I have never used the stuff but what about the touch up gelcoat used for boats where the gelcoat has dulled they come in a box and I'm sure I could get the cream colour.

I also heard that apoxy tends to peal in time???apposed to fiberglass - maybe that is what has been put in this shower a few years ago - cause underneath it is really shinny and nice - just has the hairline/spider cracks very common to aged fiberglass - but does not leak.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Are these fixtures actually "fiberglass"? I thought they were actually "ABS Plastic". maybe they differ with the model years...

I've got some stuff that does wonders on the tub/shower in my house, but I know that is fiberglass. It says on the label to not use it on plastic, so I dare not try it in the trailer. great stuff, though. "Zap restorer". works wonderfully on porcelain or fiberglass.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Sharon,
My shower pan and vanity etc., are not fiberglass, but rather ABS plastic. I had a few very small spider cracks, which I sanded, saved the sanding dust, and then filled the cracks with Crazy glue and sanding dust. It became completely invisible, and has not been a problem since. But i do not know about fiberglass.
The epoxy paint is a 2 or 3 component system that tehy mixed here at my location, Yes, I used a mobile service. They can mix colors to match, and also have a color chart. I did not go back with teh cream, but opted for a cheery white.
The paint is more of a coating, really. They sell a similar product at home depot, if you want to do it yourself. I am sure that it is not teh same quality, but might have a nice outcome anyways.
The coating is very resilient, chemically as well as mechanically.
3 girls with sandy feet last month in Baja could not even scratch it. My shower handle fell down in it numerous times, and the metal hose is rubbing on it also, no defects yet.
I would absolutely not have them do this inside MY trailer. The fog is toxic, and the overspray would certainly go all over the place. The person spraying would have to move inside the tiny bath... More work to mask everything than to take it out.
Just my experience. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Sharon are you sure that is gelcoat that is peeling?
Is it possible that the bath has already been painted with porcelain-look epoxy?
The "porcelain-look" paints that are available for DIY provide a nice finish but no coating is any good if it's gripping ability fails. I know that when many "regular" fixtures are redone, that first a strong acid is applied. I do not know if this is to etch or to clean or both.
Uwe has "been there" so he may be right but I think it could be done (by a professional)where it sits in the trailer. They would have to hang a poly "tent" outside the bathroom door as to not be standing in their own work,and would need a heck of a hood. Probably lots of extra expense to prep and sand or remove the peel too.

As for the toilet, surely it can be removed alone for better cleaning/refinishing if you choose to just try it. Maybe it can be compounded with a fine grade? Don't know just a maybe.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I tried wet sanding, dry sanding, buffing with at least 3 different compounds,and nothing gave me the desired results. The stains on my fixtures simply did not come out, although after buffing they were very nice and shiny.....
I believe that the stains penetrated into the material quite deeply.
Sure it is possible to do it inside the trailer, depending on what end result you want.
These guys used a plain container type cleaner, with a distinct thinner or acetone odor, then a primer, then the coating. I am not even sure if it is epoxy, but it smelled like it. Takes 24hrs to dry, and 3 days before you can use it.
The toilet had to go, same stains, but darker color. I never liked the old toilet, the seat was too darn small. Besides, I always shuddered when I imagined the last 30 years's life of this toilet. The Sea-Land is great - feels almost like at home.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi ewe and Jaco & Chuck;

Boy time flies when you work all day in an A/S.

Quote:
re these fixtures actually "fiberglass"? I thought they were actually "ABS Plastic". maybe they differ with the model years...
The shower pan and toilet "shelf" is definitely fiberglass and not ABS plastic. We can actually see the underside of the toilet shelf from the trunk/service center. As well by the ABS stink stack and drain there has been some gel coat chipping and we can see the FG matting.

I like the idea of an epoxy spray ewe - but I think it works on the same principle as oil based with oil based - latex with latex - epoxy with epoxy base.

Quote:
"Zap restorer". works wonderfully on porcelain or fiberglass.
Chuck that sounds great does it fill in little cracks? and does it come with colouring?? Where can you buy it??

Quote:
are you sure that is gelcoat that is peeling?
Is it possible that the bath has already been painted with porcelain-look epoxy?
No after a closer look it is not gelcoat that is peeling - it was obviously sprayed with something?? and only sprayed in the shower pan area and feathered up to the toilet shelf it looks like it may have been the same colour at one point but has dulled and dried out over time - don't know why it was sprayed in the first place. It sands off pretty easily so clean up should be quick.

Quote:
As for the toilet, surely it can be removed alone for better cleaning/refinishing if you choose to just try it. Maybe it can be compounded with a fine grade? Don't know just a maybe.
I'm sure we will remove the toilet - but have been holding off until we check the water.

The base of the toilet is not a porcelain - it is more like a rubber composite - thus I'm sure this stuff will be hard to clean if the stains are oil of any sort. Your right ewe no amount of sanding will take the layers off - I'll have to find some gut ripper to clean it with. Painting it with anything will be pretty tough as it has to hold up to shower use. Thinking of making a little rain coat for it??

Looks like the toilet is coming off now - it has sprung a leak. See the attached picture.

Do you think it might be just a seal or are we looking at a new toilet??? When you pump the foot pump it just floods out the bottom of the toilet - the foot pump works however - but the toilet sprayer does not work. Have found a few other plumbing issues but all seem to be simple gaskets or washers we hope

Thanks fellas for your helpful hints much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaky Toilet.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	6217  
Old 04-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Uwe what are the names of the services that do the new coating?? On our 1971, the only thing that's fiberglass is the cap. Everything else is ABS. Thanks, Silver suz
Old 04-26-2004, 05:45 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
http://www.zap-restorer.com

they were info-mercialling it a while back. I think I bought it at Sam's Club. works great on fiberglass...only thing I've found that gets the red iron stains out...really!

but I believe it says on the label not to use it on plastic. pretty sure that the fixtures in my bathroom are abs plastic, so I dare not use it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Bathroom countertop

I just finished recoating the bath counter top in our '71 Safari as well as the formica top in the kitchen. Maked off the areas to refinish and used "Kilz" oil base primer from Lowes and then topcoated with Benjamin Moore satin enamel. After he top coat dried, I sponged on a slightly deeper shade of the base coat with a natural sponge. Looks similar to granet and a lot better than the 1970 yellow. I did a counter top like this five years ago and it has held up great.
Dan
Old 04-26-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Uwe what are the names of the services that do the new coating?? On our 1971, the only thing that's fiberglass is the cap. Everything else is ABS. Thanks, Silver suz
Look under "bathtub repair and refinishing" in the yellow pages. Most of them will come out for a free estimate, at least around here.
I don't think it matters if it's fiberglass or ABS plastic.
It's the same process they use to refinish apartment bathrooms and countertops. etc.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Not sure if you have one of those all in ones uwe??? in your Caravel

So our big problem with the refinish is that we will be standing in the shower pan to use the toilet - so we need to make sure it is a tough finish, real tough - even putting a mat on top to protect it will only work so far as you still get the weight and rubbing.

We had an antique 1827 enamel kitchen sink refinished with today's epoxy - excellent company and they do a great job (I think it is the stuff you are talking about) but - tubs are not high traffic like Kitchen sinks are - you don't actually take forks and knives with you to the shower or bath - well only in the move phsyco - YIKES don't want to remember that movie We have had it done 3 times now and it needs it again - in the interim it looks terrible - it just takes one little chip or the adhesion not to be absolutely perfect (which it will never be in this type of re-application) for it to start to peel. This is the issue we are trying to avoid with the shower pan. So we are doing as much research as possible.

Please note - the sink (which I was not refering to is in fact this ABS plastic you are all talking about - it actually is glued/riveted to the bottom portion of the shower/toilet shelf FG mold.) Then the shower walls are made of the A/S blue/white/yellow pinstripe composit material.

Not too many companies in our yellow pages where we live and to bring up those type of companies up our way from the Toronto or Ottawa area would not be cost effective. I agree thought that if I am going to use any type of "spary on" material then I would not want to do it in that real tight space - especially since the bathroom has NO Window or Vents!

But please keep the suggestions coming - and any products you may hear about for giving a FG shower floor a durable face lift - that can be done by a DIY.

Will check out that site Chuck - thanks...

Quote:
Looks similar to granet and a lot better than the 1970 yellow
your kidding right That yellow is fab!!! PS you know it is really cheap to go to a kitchen place and order formica - one little can of contact cement a little elbow grease to chip the old off and you have a brand new counter that will be more durable than any type of "paint on" surface. We will be taking our table in soon to have it re-done - will post later on the quote. You can do as much or as little as you want - they can cut it all for you - cheaper route to go and you just glue it all on and take the old off - which is the labour intensive part of the cost.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Not sure if you have one of those all in ones uwe??? in your Caravel

So our big problem with the refinish is that we will be standing in the shower pan to use the toilet - so we need to make sure it is a tough finish, real tough - even putting a mat on top to protect it will only work so far as you still get the weight and rubbing.
I do have a wet bath in my 1971 Tradewind. I posted in an earlier post about my experiences with durability.
Good Luck,