Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Highland Village , Texas
Aluminum Shower Wall Questions??

I have a 77 Ambassador with a rear bath. I have completely painted and refinished the bathroom with the exception of the back wall. I am looking at ideas and material to cover the shower side as well as the cabinet side and considering aluminum as demonstrated in the you tube video I recently viewed. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need a special type of aluminum?
2. Does the aluminum need to be coated to resist water staining?
3. Is there a special cleaner needed to avoid permanent damage or staining?
4. Resources for purchase would also be helpful.

Aluminum looks easy enough to install but will take any suggestions specific to using another material (tile, shower wall?? etc.)

Thank you in advance for your help.
dleetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #2

1971 31' Sovereign
anonymous , New York
Following up

Did you end up doing this? I am current working on a 71 and am planning on doing a similar set up and was wondering how it went. Any advice is appreciated!
Far_in_a_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
In our shower we had one exterior aluminum wall and two wooden walls. We primed all walls and used Polywall plastic panels. It is thin and completely waterproof. So far, so good. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far_in_a_car View Post
Did you end up doing this? I am current working on a 71 and am planning on doing a similar set up and was wondering how it went. Any advice is appreciated!
We lined our interior walls (wood) with stainless steel and painted the aluminum exterior walls with Zolatone. Both have held up great!

Pics

The problem with uncoated aluminum is it will oxidize & stain much more than stainless steel. Our shower originally had aluminum and they were gross.
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote