Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel
Having access to the pipe if something goes wrong never occurred to me. I mean, that's how it is in houses.
Yes but in a house if something goes wrong you can just cut open the sheetrock. fix it and then patch the sheetrock. You can't very easily do that with aluminium walls.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I also am doing a different layout than original. I bought a non-step shower pan from RV Parts and Motorhome Parts Online Outlet They had many shapes and sizes to choose from.
One thing I had to keep in mind was location. Non-wheel well, and didn't want to move or cover up and windows. I also did not want to move the refrigerator vent. As it turned out I found one that will fit between the wheel well and the refrigerator.
It will not be in the bathroom with the toilet and sink. But I looked at 2010 AS's and some are that way. I figured if I needed the privacy because others were in the camper when I stepped out, I could hang a curtain from side to side and make them stay up front.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Ah, yes, but houses seldom go down the road and get subject to bouncing and vibration.

If putting plumbing inside the walls of an Airstream was the hot setup, I'm sure the factory would do all of the plumbing, like they do the electrical, before the inside skin is installed.

It's really best to keep plumbing where you can get to it.
Understood, I mean running a pipe up through the exterior wall wouldn't be the thing to do.. run it up through a thinly constructed interior wall and where the one connection would be at the shower head have access there.

The biggest issue, I think is the height. because the exterior wall is curved (and lower) that would not address the height issue. Closer to the interior there is more height, but I don't want the shower in the middle of the trailer either.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I also am doing a different layout than original. I bought a non-step shower pan from RV Parts and Motorhome Parts Online Outlet They had many shapes and sizes to choose from.
One thing I had to keep in mind was location. Non-wheel well, and didn't want to move or cover up and windows. I also did not want to move the refrigerator vent. As it turned out I found one that will fit between the wheel well and the refrigerator.
It will not be in the bathroom with the toilet and sink. But I looked at 2010 AS's and some are that way. I figured if I needed the privacy because others were in the camper when I stepped out, I could hang a curtain from side to side and make them stay up front.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Another thing is the original pan sits up on a platform. Argh! I'd like to lose that platform, have the pan sit right on the floor.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Good stuff. Thanks.

Another thing is the original pan sits up on a platform. Argh! I'd like to lose that platform, have the pan sit right on the floor.
What's under that platform?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
What's under that platform?
The platform is necessary to allow space for the trap and pipeing for the shower drain. As it is there still need to be a hole in the floor for clearance of the pipes.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
When I was doing it before it just struck me as unsanitary. Maybe that is just my imagination.
Yes, your imagination is unsanitary.

So, Assuming you haven't already hauled everything out of there, why don't you live with it for a while before you go all drastic on it?

It's like buying a house, in that it has been said many times that when buying a used home one must live in it for at least six months before changing anything of importance.

Why do you think that is...?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I'm 6'3" and no matter what I think of there is no way to get under the showerhead like at home.
I mounted a hand held shower on one of those adjustable height poles and it works fine.
If I put a shower head in the ceiling it would hit me in the head if I stood up straight
Also when you first turn on the shower the water is cold!!! and you are under it. Not nice.
With the hand held shower option you can hold it in a pail until the flow is hot and then shower. The water in the pail can be used to flush toilet or wash dishes or be thrown out in the bushes so as to not fill your holding tank.
To me that is the best reason for keeping a hand held shower.
Al
Big Al speaks truth! Also Women sometimes like to shower without getting their heads wet - so the hand held wand is perfect for that.

Showers in Airstreams and most other trailers are SMALL, hot water tanks are SMALL. You can't rinse for 20 minutes unless you want to do it under absolutely cold water. The handheld shower lets you direct the spray around your body efficiently - you get the whole body rinsed before the water goes cool! Nothing worse than having soapy residue and NO warm or even tepid water to get it off.

Paula
Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
The shower experience in the motorhome that I had was like that. The hot water ran out pretty quick. No "hollywoods" in there.

I was thinking about one of those on demand hot water heaters.

The other problem was the grey water tank filling up so quickly. I'd need to come up with some inventive ways to get rid of the drain water too, I guess.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Yes, your imagination is unsanitary.

So, Assuming you haven't already hauled everything out of there, why don't you live with it for a while before you go all drastic on it?

It's like buying a house, in that it has been said many times that when buying a used home one must live in it for at least six months before changing anything of importance.

Why do you think that is...?
In general I'm not so big on the sanitary thing, I just imagine what my teenage son would say about following me in the shower

I could probably get with the sitting down thing. My entire trailer is gutted, that is how I got it, so I'm starting from scratch.. just imagining different things.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Using a bucket until the water warms up, then tossing the contents down the toilet will save your gray tank easily a gallon per day. When I boondock I use a bucket of very warm water and a washcloth to bathe, then rinse with one more bucketful. If I can't resist a longer shower, I plug the drain hole and use a small handheld pump & hose to drain the water down the toilet.

Shower water really shouldn't be dumped outside - the soap, skin, hair and body oils are almost as bad as what goes down the black tank.

The idea of a tankless water heater appeals to many - HOWEVER - there is only one brand that is approved for RV's, and it's expensive. The cheap ones you see advertised are designed for outside use only - they'll work hanging from a tree or fencepost, but will seriously burn your A/S down - or kill you with carbon monoxide. If you're in a nice campground, use the shower house.

Sorry to rain on your parade. (I've just been here for 5 years and have seen these threads before.)

Paula
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Using a bucket until the water warms up, then tossing the contents down the toilet will save your gray tank easily a gallon per day. When I boondock I use a bucket of very warm water and a washcloth to bathe, then rinse with one more bucketful. If I can't resist a longer shower, I plug the drain hole and use a small handheld pump & hose to drain the water down the toilet.

Shower water really shouldn't be dumped outside - the soap, skin, hair and body oils are almost as bad as what goes down the black tank.

The idea of a tankless water heater appeals to many - HOWEVER - there is only one brand that is approved for RV's, and it's expensive. The cheap ones you see advertised are designed for outside use only - they'll work hanging from a tree or fencepost, but will seriously burn your A/S down - or kill you with carbon monoxide. If you're in a nice campground, use the shower house.

Sorry to rain on your parade. (I've just been here for 5 years and have seen these threads before.)

Paula
Paula don`t you mean rain shower on his parade.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
The shower experience in the motorhome that I had was like that. The hot water ran out pretty quick. No "hollywoods" in there.

I was thinking about one of those on demand hot water heaters.

The other problem was the grey water tank filling up so quickly. I'd need to come up with some inventive ways to get rid of the drain water too, I guess.
Yeah, if your grey tank is like mine, it's only 10 gallons. For most AS models, 1974 was the first year for grey tanks, and I think they took them as a joke, or just a temporary fad.

That's never a problem if you are at a site with drainage for your tanks, but you won't be able to have the long, leisurely showers when you camp in the rough...
Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
I can dig the bucket thing. When I was growing up we didn't have plumbing and we always washed in a foot tub with the water heated up on the stove. We also had an outhouse, which was very unsanitary, so I never used it.