Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
73 AS Excella 500 Rear Bath Replacement

I just purchased a 73 excella 500. The rear bath had been gutted. PO did not save any parts. I need info on buying a complete bath system. Prefer to go back with original?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txred View Post
I just purchased a 73 excella 500. The rear bath had been gutted. PO did not save any parts. I need info on buying a complete bath system. Prefer to go back with original?
Basically, those parts are no longer available, except maybe the sink.

Your best bet is to try and find a salvaged unit someplace.

Andy

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

You could also check the classified ads on the forum. Not sure if anything there you could use.

Marie
Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Hmmmn
Well you were brave to buy one in that condition. Hope the sale price reflected the gut.
The first thing you need IMO is to determine exactly which years were the same back there.
Second it may be that they do not have to be the same exactly if the contour of the different rear ends is the same. But you prob will have to stay with one group for the Bath tub and integrated lav and countertop.

If you can spot (put in) the tub,tub upper wall, and lav & counter unit, You can improvise and custom the closet fore of the bath and the cabinet fore the toilet.
Likewise the closet fore the cabinet streetside. And you do not need the orig. exact toilet model of course.

I suppose there may be some forum member that knows the cross-interchangeability but your best bet is for Inland Andy to let us know I'd think.
Otherwise you can do some serious searching of the pix scattered here and elsewhere and check brochure floorplans or service-manual and/or owner-manual drawings of floorplans and of the actual component views.

If you are lucky the footprint will be the same for most of the 70's era.
Is everything gone? Including the upper cabinet and mirror,light, and both closets?
Is your UniVolt (converter) there curbside "once under" where the tub was?
And do you have a Service-Manual?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Hmmmn
Well you were brave to buy one in that condition. Hope the sale price reflected the gut.
The first thing you need IMO is to determine exactly which years were the same back there.
Second it may be that they do not have to be the same exactly if the contour of the different rear ends is the same. But you prob will have to stay with one group for the Bath tub and integrated lav and countertop.

If you can spot (put in) the tub,tub upper wall, and lav & counter unit, You can improvise and custom the closet fore of the bath and the cabinet fore the toilet.
Likewise the closet fore the cabinet streetside. And you do not need the orig. exact toilet model of course.

I suppose there may be some forum member that knows the cross-interchangeability but your best bet is for Inland Andy to let us know I'd think.
Otherwise you can do some serious searching of the pix scattered here and elsewhere and check brochure floorplans or service-manual and/or owner-manual drawings of floorplans and of the actual component views.

If you are lucky the footprint will be the same for most of the 70's era.
Is everything gone? Including the upper cabinet and mirror,light, and both closets?
Is your UniVolt (converter) there curbside "once under" where the tub was?
And do you have a Service-Manual?

The upper units and univolt are in place. All I need are shower and sink units. They did leave the closet sections ( I believe all pieces are their) I have located a member gutting a 73 sovereign. I am researching if footprint is same as mine. I ordered service manual. The owners manual was still with unit. Bought for a thousand so in good shape on $$. The rest of the home is intact and original with all appliances working.
Thanks for reply -- any other info or ideas appreciated.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac View Post
Hi,

You could also check the classified ads on the forum. Not sure if anything there you could use.

Marie
Hey Marie,

Do you have pics of your units bath? If yes please post>
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by txred View Post
Hey Marie,

Do you have pics of your units bath? If yes please post>
Check out our thread, I do believe there are pictures in there. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but went to work at 8:30 last night and just got home. Marie
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...tml#post623070
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
One other bit of bad news.
If the owner had to cut up the fixture (tub) to remove it, then you may have probs. Is he available to ask?
There are two bulkheads between your rear bath and the galley and the two closets in the bath. You gotta get the new (used) fixture in there between those. It sounds like the curbside bulkheads have not been removed.
I hope I am wrong and that the tub and its surround will fit out thru the hallway without removing anything.
I think it will twist out of the exit door, as I think it went in that way, but maybe it was placed inside before the shell lowered?? I hope not.
Lots of members have removed and refinished all the fixtures so I hope someone will answer this. I am very curious myself.

BTW removing the curbside bulkheads is very doable, but a real Pain InThe Arse.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
One other bit of bad news.
If the owner had to cut up the fixture (tub) to remove it, then you may have probs. Is he available to ask?
There are two bulkheads between your rear bath and the galley and the two closets in the bath. You gotta get the new (used) fixture in there between those. It sounds like the curbside bulkheads have not been removed.
I hope I am wrong and that the tub and its surround will fit out thru the hallway without removing anything.
I think it will twist out of the exit door, as I think it went in that way, but maybe it was placed inside before the shell lowered?? I hope not.
Lots of members have removed and refinished all the fixtures so I hope someone will answer this. I am very curious myself.

BTW removing the curbside bulkheads is very doable, but a real Pain InThe Arse.
Everything has been removed. What are you calling bulkheads? Are they the "dividers" between closet etc that go floor to ceiling? If these are correct I have them. PO does not have old tub etc. I have to replace floor, holding tanks, plumbing etc. basically everything with exception of upper mirror, storage cabinets. I have located units from forum member if his sovereign is same floorplan. Any idea what the price should be for original shower and sink?
Thanks for info, sorry it took so long to reply, been working in real world, hope to be back home to work on unit soon. Have a good one!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
bulkhead:
a.
One of the upright partitions dividing a ship into compartments and serving to add structural rigidity and to prevent the spread of leakage or fire.
b. A partition or wall serving a similar purpose in a vehicle, such as an aircraft or spacecraft.

The dividers between the galley and the "rooms" aft in the Airstream.
In an Airstream the bulkheads provide little necessary structural rigidity function according to what many believe.

In your rear bath the closets are actually the spaces between a set of bulkheads. And there is another bulkhead on each side of hallway at galley. So if I am not mistaken your trailer has 6 bulkhead pieces.

Either made of plywood or a "formica" laminated sandwich.