Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
'68 Overlander wet closet floor...where's the leak???

I have a '68 Overlander that I live in full time. There have been a few leaks in the bathroom that I've caught easily and fixed by tightening valves. Lately, I've noticed the closet floor on the bathroom side is very wet, and the wood on the closet is getting wet too. I can't find the source of the leak anywhere. I shower daily and use the kitchen and bathroom sink. Does anyone know where the source of the leak could be that would cause the closet floor to get wet? The carpet behind the bed is NOT wet. I think it is under the bathtub, but how can I get to the area to check?
Please help!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
In our TT, one of the roof plumbing vents goes through the closet. Those vents tend to fill up with junk and get plugged fairly easily.

Get up on the roof, take off the cover and screen, and pour a little water down it. If it overflow up top, it's plugged for sure.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

1968 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
thanks a ton Aage! I'll check tomorrow. We have been getting a lot of rain this season, so perhaps this will be the answer!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
What timing. I just posted my version of a vent fix.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1217327
The late '60s trailers have a plastic vent cover held on by pop rivets and some kind of sealing tape. My '67 would leak past the cover seal, through the oversized cut-out in the shell and down the vent stack into the closet in the bathroom.
There is no gasket for the pipe as it exits the shell. After taking off the cover, cleaning the vent and shell I spread a bead of sealer into the opening. Then reinstalled the cover over the top of the pipe with a new screen. I applied a small bead of sealer on the sides and upper edge, leaving the bottom open to drain.

Good luck,
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #5

1968 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Tom, very helpful indeed. I'm confused though...maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm new at all this. How does replacing the screen stop the leaking into the closet? is the water in my closet rain water that is dribbling down? Can you explain the purpose and mechanics of the plumbing vents in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Welcome to the Forum.
What timing. I just posted my version of a vent fix.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1217327
The late '60s trailers have a plastic vent cover held on by pop rivets and some kind of sealing tape. My '67 would leak past the cover seal, through the oversized cut-out in the shell and down the vent stack into the closet in the bathroom.
There is no gasket for the pipe as it exits the shell. After taking off the cover, cleaning the vent and shell I spread a bead of sealer into the opening. Then reinstalled the cover over the top of the pipe with a new screen. I applied a small bead of sealer on the sides and upper edge, leaving the bottom open to drain.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I thought I had the pics of the vent stack repair but canít seem to find them. Found the old thread instead.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...eak-22760.html
The plumbing stacks allow the drains to run freely and to vent any gases produced in the holding tanks.
The screen just keeps the big stuff from clogging the vent. Any rainwater that gets into the pipe, as long as the drains arenít damaged, would end up in the tank.
The openings for the vent stacks are either cut out of the shell with a hole saw or sheet metal nibbler. This is where most of the vents leak. The newer trailers have the rubber gasket that fits tightly around the pipe and the metal cover is screwed down over the gasket to create the seal. The 68ís have a plastic cover that fits inside the pipe and had the tape as a seal around the edge of the cover.
IMHO adding a bead of sealer between the pipe and shell is the best way to make a long term repair.
If your covers arenít damaged or warped I donít see any reason they canít be reused.
Vintage Trailer Supply would appear to have replacements if needed.
Airstream Plumbing Stack Cover

Hope that clarifies the way I fixed the vents,
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote